Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TracFone

TracFone

First, I think cell phones are the Devil's work. I have no idea why people want to be in touch all the time.

But we have a pre-paid cell for emergencies. Service area is Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati. Costs us about $20 every 3 months. Perfect.

But now that I'm going to be driving alone to FL, I'm thinking a phone with a little more range might be prudent.

So I have done a little research and keep coming back to TracFone. Before I go out and drop the bucks, I was wondering if anyone has that service and what you think of it.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: TracFone

I had a Tracfone for 2 years. Mrs. U used it for awhile and then we handed it off to U2 when work started paying for her to have a phone.

Tracfone does not roam easily, so I wouldn't recommend it for travel. With a Tracfone, you have to enter a code into the phone each day that you have it outside the home service area. If I was only going to use this phone in an emergency, I sure wouldn't want to have to bother with a roaming code if I needed to make a call in a big hurry. FWIW, Tracfone uses the Cingular network, which provides a lot of coverage over a significant portion of the country. Also, Tracfone outsources their customer service to some place in Eastern Europe - making customer service calls an adventure.

I switched U2's prepaid subscription over to Virgin Mobile last fall and I was already using it as my primary wireless provider.. Costs about the same as Tracfone and roams without the hassle. VM uses the Sprint network, which should provide plenty of coverage along the interstates and in major cities. Customer service and support on the web site and over the phone is excellent. The phones and the minutes cards for VM are readily available at Target, WalMart, etc.

The prepaid service to absolutely stay away from is Verizon's. When I discuss my experience as a prepaid customer of Verizon, I can feel my heart rate increase and my face turn red, so let's not go there.
    /r/reds

Creek. I used to have a tracphone; probably for the same reasons as you... I wanted the convenience of a cell, though I don't use it enough to invest in a pricey monthly commitment. But, tracphone is expensive.

Two years ago, I dumped the tracphone and got Verizon's FreeUp plan... prepaid minutes (I always choose the $30 every two months; $15 a month is great for me). You don't get many daytime minutes but you get a whole lot of night and weekend minutes. I call my Mom in NY every Sunday and use my weekend minutes, until I get down to about 60; then I save them until I "re-up" again.

I love Verizon because there are very few places in the US that doesn't offer Verizon service. With the Free-up plan there is no roaming, even in the approximately 5 areas of the USA that aren't covered. The read-out will say you are roaming, but you will never be charged roaming air time.

It is, by far, the best prepaid minutes plan on the planet!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    The prepaid service to absolutely stay away from is Verizon's. When I discuss my experience as a prepaid customer of Verizon, I can feel my heart rate increase and my face turn red, so let's not go there.
    Wow! I so don't agree with this. The Freeup plan is the best!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Wow! I so don't agree with this. The Freeup plan is the best!
    I'm glad your experience was good. I could never get those to get my billing right. They'd turn off my service without warning even though I made a payment. I am never late with payments, yet their customer service philosophy seemed to be "Assume the customer is lying."

I had similar fun with Verizon when I had a phone with a plan.

Bottom line: I will never give that company another nickel.
    /r/reds

Thanks for the feedback.

Even though now I am a little

<==== Doesn't even know how to use a cell phone, and wouldn't even want to try to understand the billing.

TM gave me her cell phone while we all split up at a flea market. Put it in my back pocket. Kept hearing "take me out to the ballgame" throughout the day. Just thought it was the toys and stuff I was looking at. Never answered. :MandJ:

I used to make fun of them, until I got stranded in the tornado a few years ago .... but come on ..... that's a once in a lifetime ordeal, I hope.

I still curse people that are driving with them.

I'm becoming a curmudgeon.
    Pots and Kettles

I'm glad your experience was good. I could never get those to get my billing right. They'd turn off my service without warning even though I made a payment. I am never late with payments, yet their customer service philosophy seemed to be "Assume the customer is lying."

I had similar fun with Verizon when I had a phone with a plan.

Bottom line: I will never give that company another nickel.
    You must have had a contract; I was talking about prepaid minutes (their Freeup program).

By Unassisted: "Tracfone does not roam easily, so I wouldn't recommend it for travel. With a Tracfone, you have to enter a code into the phone each day that you have it outside the home service area."

Huh? I travel approximately 40-45 weeks of the year and, in the 2 years I've had tracfone, I've never had to put in a roaming code. In fact, I don't even know what a roaming code is. I'm in California and I've used it as far away as Florida so I don't understand the home service area part either. Is it possible that tracfone has a number of different plans?

Tracfone is expensive but, since the company provides a cell phone, I don't use it much. I keep it around for those rare times when I really have to make a personal call.

And, I'm also one that finds the need for constant babbling in one's ear to be a very odd human trait. Peace and quiet seems so much more blissful.

I drive my boss nuts 'cause, even though I have a company cell phone, it's usually turned off and I refuse to set up the voice mail.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Huh? I travel approximately 40-45 weeks of the year and, in the 2 years I've had tracfone, I've never had to put in a roaming code. In fact, I don't even know what a roaming code is. I'm in California and I've used it as far away as Florida so I don't understand the home service area part either. Is it possible that tracfone has a number of different plans?
    I had the Nokia 252c and the Nokia 5125 with Tracfone and every time we tried to place calls on them away from our home market, there was some code like *216 that we had to enter to enable roaming for that day. We gave away those phones last month and I can find no reference to that on Tracfone's web site anymore, so I guess that's no longer true.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    You must have had a contract; I was talking about prepaid minutes (their Freeup program).
    Nope, no contract. It was a prepaid phone to which minutes had to be added every... I think it was 45 days back then. This was in 1999-2000, before the advent of the FreeUp campaign, so the terms may be different now. I'd add minutes to the thing and they wouldn't credit them to the account and my service would lapse. Then, it would take a long, contentious discussion to convince them that the minutes had been added. They finally asked me why I was messing with Prepaid when my credit was good enough to have a plan. I told them it came down to my unwilingness to pay >$20/month for a phone I used around 30 min/month.
    I guess I'm a fount of old information on the subject of prepaid wireless.
    I still like Virgin Mobile, though.
    /r/reds

I told them it came down to my unwilingness to pay >$20/month for a phone I used around 30 min/month.
    That's the thing with me. I don't use a phone enough to be interested in a monthly plan. Some months I don't even turn the thing on.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    That's the thing with me. I don't use a phone enough to be interested in a monthly plan. Some months I don't even turn the thing on.
    I'm right there with ya, creek. My wife wanted me to get a cell phone, but I keep resisting. It would be nice to have one on hand, if I needed it, but I work on the phone, and the last thing I want to do is talk on a phone when I get off work. So, I would most likely only use it on the weekends. I don't want to sign a monthly contract to only use my phone on the weekends.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    If you have family/friends out-of-town that you talk to a lot, a cell phone is absolutely the way to go. Mrs. Heeler and I have even toyed with the idea of dropping a landline phone completely. Of course, both of our parents are long distance, so we would rack up a BIG phone bill if not for the cells.

/\ Me and Mrs.Krono only have cell phones, one bill, no dealing with the people over at cincy bell

We used tracphone for awhile and liked it but it did seem to roam in odd areas, this was 2 years ago so it may have changed
    Go Gators!

I
    Nope, no contract. It was a prepaid phone to which minutes had to be added every... I think it was 45 days back then. This was in 1999-2000, before the advent of the FreeUp campaign, so the terms may be different now. I'd add minutes to the thing and they wouldn't credit them to the account and my service would lapse. Then, it would take a long, contentious discussion to convince them that the minutes had been added.
    Geez, I've never had any problem. I bought mine at RadioShack and they did all the setup before I left the store. Every 60 days, I add $30 worth of minutes; like I said, a ton of weekend/evening minutes are included which I would rack up if I didn't use it to call NY every weekend. I always renew my minutes by phone, though they have cards too. Never a problem; in fact, they always tell me how many minutes I have when we end the reup conversation.

Love it! No roaming, no contract, and more than enough minutes for the money invested. I like it so much better than Tracphone which was, IMHO, extremely expensive and even more so when roaming.

Turn Off Ads?