Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where were you 25 years ago today?

Re: Where were you 25 years ago today?

I was in my first winter in California and the two women that I lived with had absolutely no interest in the Olympics what-so-ever! So, I watched the game by myself, at first hoping that the US would put up a good fight. Then, little by little, thinking that there was a slight chance to win if everything broke right. Finally, in the third quarter I was so charged up I could hardly breathe. Then!!! It was over!! Inability to speak, yet screams of joy!

One totally incredible moment.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mrs. Howard's Kindergarten class. Probably being spanked (I was spanked on more than one occassion by my kindergarten teacher. I remember it well).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

I, Much like Boss, Was close to being concieved 25 years ago today. probably about 2 or 3 months from being concieved actually, But I try not to think about my parents "getting it on" :MandJ:

I actually have a DVD copy of the game. Being a hockey fan, its great to watch this winter with the absence of the NHL.

My parents and I spent the entire day incommunicado. What's forgotten about that game is that it was played in the late afternoon and ABC held the broadcast for primetime.

We didn't turn on the TV or the radio for fear that we'd hear a score. Right before the broadcast the phone rings and my mom answers it. It's my grandmother and my mother's response is "Oh yeah, that's great." Hours of shutting ourselves off from the world and mom's got to pick up the phone.

Grandma and mom got off the hook because right before they showed the game Jim McKay was doing the intro in front of a pile of fans chanting "U.S.A." Didn't take a genius to figure out why they were doing that.

Still, knowing that they won couldn't prepare you for the drama of how they won. Just an amazing game. Winning goalie Jim Craig, Boston University. Game winning goal Mike Eruzione, Boston University. I'm just saying.

Nine months later my sister was born. Maternity wards all over the country were glutted late that November.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

25 years and 13 days ago I was actually at the Garden and saw the Russians beat the Americans 10-3. There were only a few thousand people there. It was men versus boys, it was like the New England Patriots playing a good High School team. The Russians were that good (I was a Rangers season ticket holder at the time so I had seen a lot of hockey). You really had to have been at that game to appreciate how big an upset, how big a miracle, occured two weeks later.

Kudos to Mark Johnson who never got the credit he deserved.

And Herbie, RIP. Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My parents and I spent the entire day incommunicado. What's forgotten about that game is that it was played in the late afternoon and ABC held the broadcast for primetime.

We didn't turn on the TV or the radio for fear that we'd hear a score. Right before the broadcast the phone rings and my mom answers it. It's my grandmother and my mother's response is "Oh yeah, that's great." Hours of shutting ourselves off from the world and mom's got to pick up the phone.

Grandma and mom got off the hook because right before they showed the game Jim McKay was doing the intro in front of a pile of fans chanting "U.S.A." Didn't take a genius to figure out why they were doing that.

Still, knowing that they won couldn't prepare you for the drama of how they won. Just an amazing game. Winning goalie Jim Craig, Boston University. Game winning goal Mike Eruzione, Boston University. I'm just saying.

Nine months later my sister was born. Maternity wards all over the country were glutted late that November.

I was 13 at the time and since we lived only 50 miles from Lake Placid, all schools were closed for the entire Olympics, two weeks of vacation. Being so close to Canada, we get to watch Canadian television, which covered the game live. Thank you CBC. It was one of those moments you will never forget.

I watched the replay of the game on ESPN Classic last night. Great game.

The one thing that I heard that surprised me: After the game, John Buccigross was saying that after that game was over, during the heart of the cold war, a Russian nuclear sub contacted an American sub deep in the ocean and told them the score and congratulated them on the victory. I had never heard that before. Crazy.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I was working at the Mariemont Theater.

Hiding behind the school, smoking doobs.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Hiding behind the school, smoking doobs.
    Yeesh..find some woods near school like normal people
    Go Gators!

God was still trying to think of a new body to use to make me!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    A little less than a year away from being born and just about to be conceived.

All the same, I'm enjoying watching the replays of the Miracle on Ice on ESPN Classic and I loved the movie Miracle.

Miracle, and particularly Kurt Russell, really nailed it. In Miracle, at the end of the game, Russell, as Brooks, does not go on the ice and join in the celebration but runs into the hallway to be by himself. I thought that was far fetched until I saw the game last night. As soon as the buzzer went off, Brooks ran out of the arena. Russell had it right.

Turn Off Ads?