Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: EA Sports releases MVP 2005 early

Not Laughing

Re: EA Sports releases MVP 2005 early

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    That was a review?

I'm sorry you felt my post was "meaningless". You should care.

You've owned the game for less than a day and you're already giving up on it.

You call it "unrealistic" and "too feast of famine". I was simply stating, in a rather vague way, that is not a flaw of the game, but a flaw of your ability (or knowledge of how to play the game), which in my opinion, you gave little time to figure out/improve upon. I am having none of those "problems" you seem to be having. In fact, quite the opposite. The game is realistic as human control lets it be. I'm having loads of fun with my Reds dynasty, and have seen a variety of different hits. I play on All Star using Pared's sliders, and the 6/1 camera view.

I could honestly not care if you trade the game in. Whatever game you decide is none of my business. It's early in my playing process, but as far as non-text (meaning, excluding OOTP), this is the best sports game I've ever played. Of course, I'm biased towards baseball. I would currently suggest this to any baseball fan. Though, I haven't played ESPN's latest, so I can't compare it to that one - but I'm thrilled with my MVP experience so far.
    I don't remember saying i owned it for less than a day. I bought it Weds. of last week. ALERT!!! TODAY IS MONDAY OF THE FOLLOWING WEEK!

I play on All-Star mode as well. I find myself tweaking the sliders more than actually playing the game. Tweaking the sliders doesn't seem to impact the game at all. Sorry some of us are not at your elite level of playing a friggin' video game!!! :dflynn:

Not sure why you are calling out my ability considering you have no idea what my sliders are set at. I have played the MVP series for a while now and never seemed to have this problem. I think it is childish & silly for you to post on a message board that the reason I don't like the game is because of my "inabilities". I think it is one extreme (Home Run) or the other (Strike Out) and thats my opinion,

You should not care what I choose to do with my own game (Trade in). I'm sure this board is tired of us trading shots at each other so I guess i'll be the guy to end this High School-ish debate. Have fun with MVP, chief.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You two can argue all day, but I dont like this game because I suck at it. Not saying that others shouldnt go get it just saying I am horrible at it. I was going to get rid of it this week but last night I hit a 3 run homer walk-off Griffey off Lidge so that bought this game some time. Right now I'm 4-6 I just need to get better at hitting.

Actually, there shouldn't be any arguing at all. It's a video game. Crikey.

And any more snide remarks like those above will result in warnings/suspensions.

A video game.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I've played some "spring training" games (i.e. exhibition mode) to get the feel of the game and make adjustments to the sliders. I have yet to hit HR but did win my first official game 2-0 (decided to start my franchise mode). Casey and Jr each had an RBI single in the eight.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I think people need to remember that EA's goal in scrapping the Triple Play Baseball and creating MVP was to get away with the arcade style which had made Triple Play so terrible.

Hitting is hard, because "Surprise surprise" hitting is hard in real life.

I played it quite a bit this weekend. I use the 6/4 view, Have it on Pro right now, and after about a half dozen games, finally started to hit. I've only hit 1 HR, because HR's in the game are all about timing. When your first playing the game you have no timing. It takes a while. Personally, I like games that are more realistic and are challenging. Keeps me coming back. If it was 15-14 and essentially a HR hitting contest, I wouldn't keep playing it.

Food for thought.

Good points. Unfortunately, I find my hitting to be unrealistic but the other team's hitting to be arcade-like--I've yet to hold a team under 20 runs, which says more about my pitching ability, I'm sure.

Any help on getting instructions online? Anyone? Bueller?

Yeah I think I'm going to hold onto this game and just keep working on my hitting.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    I don't remember saying i owned it for less than a day. I bought it Weds. of last week. ALERT!!! TODAY IS MONDAY OF THE FOLLOWING WEEK!

I play on All-Star mode as well. I find myself tweaking the sliders more than actually playing the game. Tweaking the sliders doesn't seem to impact the game at all. Sorry some of us are not at your elite level of playing a friggin' video game!!! :dflynn:

Not sure why you are calling out my ability considering you have no idea what my sliders are set at. I have played the MVP series for a while now and never seemed to have this problem. I think it is childish & silly for you to post on a message board that the reason I don't like the game is because of my "inabilities". I think it is one extreme (Home Run) or the other (Strike Out) and thats my opinion,

You should not care what I choose to do with my own game (Trade in). I'm sure this board is tired of us trading shots at each other so I guess i'll be the guy to end this High School-ish debate. Have fun with MVP, chief.
    Wow. I tried to be respectful and mature in the post above. Sorry you feel differently.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Been searching for, unsuccesfully, a place where someone has done the leg work already and listed what they believe are the Replacement players skill levels for me to create.

I know I used this site last season

http://www.jonathandevine.com/rosters/player_list.php

Which I may Bogart to 2005, but it had Lidle way high.

Anyway, if anyone finds any links please post them here

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Why oh why can't Encarnacion fit in the last name field?

It would be one thing if there wasn't already a player with this last name in the game already.

I don't get it.

Cruisin' for trouble

Praying Colonel - I don't know where the manual is online. A couple of quick hints that helped me out since I'm seemingly allergic to instruction reading and found myself getting pounded early.

1- Pitching. The number next to the pitch corresponds to the number on the gamepad. Hold the number until the cursor moves into the red (this represents power). Release the button and then press the button again when it reaches the green section (representing accuracy). When I first started playing, I would tap the button once to start the slider, tap again in the red area and then a third time in the green (thinking that this was similar to a FG in Madden). My pitches were coming out around 84 MPH and the batters were salivating. Holding the button has my pitches into the low-mid 90's with much more effectiveness.

2- Hitting. Identifying a pitch is key. If you see a red ball in the pitchers hand before he delivers the pitch, it represents an offspeed pitch. Green represents a changeup. No color=fastball. Typically, if there is not a color, I'll push up on the left stick (to create an uppercut swing) and try to pull the ball. Lotsa HRs that way.

I've put the fielding on automatic as it's near impossible for me to make the bang-bang plays that baseball is filled with. I also started with the Rookie setting (first time playing the game), but have since moved up to Pro after Griffey, Pena, Casey and Dunn achieved 8 HRs apiece in the first 10 games. I expect to be able to jump a level in the next 20 games or so.

Pitching is a bit easier now. I've had double-digit K games from Ortiz, Wilson and Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Been searching for, unsuccesfully, a place where someone has done the leg work already and listed what they believe are the Replacement players skill levels for me to create.

I know I used this site last season

http://www.jonathandevine.com/rosters/player_list.php

Which I may Bogart to 2005, but it had Lidle way high.

Anyway, if anyone finds any links please post them here
    BaseballSimCentral and Operation Sports has several lists....
    Minors
    http://forums.simcentral.net/showthread.php?t=53390
    Caps
    http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=115238
    Missing Players
    http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=115646

Hope that helps

Anybody got tips for bunting for basehits? Since it is a video game I start Kearns at 3rd, Jiminez at SS, and Freel at 2b. I always try to bunt with Freel but it never works, thanks for any tips.

Bunting is hard in this game, but I have bunted for one base hit with Felipe Lopez. Sac bunts seem to work out about 80% of the time, which seems right to me. I would try working on your aiming and various methods (i.e drag, push etc.). sorry if that's not much help, but practicing is the only way to have success.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I love ESPN's version of MLB 2k5.
    Do you still feel that way after playing the game for a few days? I'm turning a bit sour on this game due to a little few things...one is the VERY POOR angles from which you see foul balls. The announcers are VERY repetitive. Just a few things that I've got me irked tonight after playing 2 games after work. Also, NO HIT by Kerry Wood while on Gamecast!

I HATE BASERUNNING in this game. AAAHHH

Turn Off Ads?