Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: EA Sports releases MVP 2005 early

thrilljam

Re: EA Sports releases MVP 2005 early

I got it and played one game as the Reds vs. Indians, which I lost 6-3. Cleveland scored all 6 in one inning as Milton just lost all command and the bullpen poured gas on the fire. (Sounds like a familiar scenario, huh?)

The Reds are ranked #20, which I think is fair. (Cleveland is #21, FYI.)

One major roster error I found was Magglio Ordonez on the Mets. I'll have to connect my PS2 online to update that.

I started to get into owner mode but it just seems too time comsuming, dealing with finances, the minors, etc. I think I may just do a franchise mode with a fantasy draft, along with a regular franchise with the Reds.

There is a new mini-game feature that I toyed around with and it seems rather fun, and a good training tool. The batters eye features are also a major upgrade over last year's version.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Milton pitched great for me in a game against the Cards, 7 IP with 5 K's, 2 BB's and 1 ER (off a homer.) FeLo had a throwing error (surprise?). Casey went 3-4 with 3 RBI's. Beat the Cards 5-2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

The PC version still has Sosa with the Cubs, Mags is still a FA, still has Vander Wal in the Reds minors among a few other players who were released.

As for gameplay, its pretty nice though for some reason it won't recognize my controller so I have to use the keyboard which takes some getting used to.

All in all with some roster adjustments it pretty good. I like that they dynasty mode lasts 120 years unlike Madden which only lasts 30. Great for us simmers.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I bought the 2K ESPN version today...heh, I like this game. Very lifelike...even though only played one game vs. the Mets, it didn't take all kinds of button and toggle moves to hit the dang ball. The graphics are good, but EA probably does them better...the commentary is good. I recommend for 19.99.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds
    I bought the 2K ESPN version today...heh, I like this game. Very lifelike...even though only played one game vs. the Mets, it didn't take all kinds of button and toggle moves to hit the dang ball. The graphics are good, but EA probably does them better...the commentary is good. I recommend for 19.99.
    I'm getting it as well, but probally next week. Just to match. I didn't play it last year, and if I don't like it, I'll just put it on ebay.

I'm an inventory spec. at Best Buy in trotwood, near dayton, as of the UPS drop this morning, we got both MVP 05 and Gran Turismo 4, as did the rest of the dayton stores and all of the columbus.

according to corporate, MLB 2k5 should arrive friday morning, so if everyone is planning on getting that one, i'd show up at best buy around noon to give time for UPS to drop and us poor shipping/receiving folks time to sort through it all.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

how is the reds team ranking if you play in exhibition mode? compared to other teams and such
    We are rated 19th overall on the XBox version, with the hitting category fairly high. We are dead last in team speed, which brings the ranking down. All in all, a fair assesment and MUCH better than last year.

All in all, this looks like a great game. I've played 5 games and other than pitch count the realism is incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    Check the Reds minor league system for us please... The folks at Operation Sports are saying there are a lot of top prospects there, just the names are changed... Look for a Reds 3rd baseman with Encarnacions Birthday, ht/wt... etc...

Very curious about it.
    Yeah, Encarnacion is "Matt James" on the Lookouts, and Homer Bailey is "Raul Perez" on the same team. Unfortunately, these are the only 2 Baseball America Top 100 Prospects in the whole system, looks like all the minor leaguers are really fake players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

However, if you're really desperate, the only things under "Edit Player" that you can't change are height and weight. For instance, "Rodrigo Chacon" for the Lookouts is 6'0" and 210, so you could make him Tyler Pelland (6'0", 190). I'm not sure why height is locked, while which hand he bats and throws is not. This is what I'll be doing the rest of the day...man I'm sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

Is Jim Coombs in there?

I threw a perfect game with Paul Wilson against the Astros. I'm very afraid.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by FreelFanatic
    Yeah, Encarnacion is "Matt James" on the Lookouts, and Homer Bailey is "Raul Perez" on the same team. Unfortunately, these are the only 2 Baseball America Top 100 Prospects in the whole system, looks like all the minor leaguers are really fake players.
    Folks at two other boards are saying the Perez is Richie Gardner, not Bailey. I'll have to check the height/weight and birthday again when I get home.

EDIT: Nevermind, it is Bailey for sure.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I threw a perfect game with Paul Wilson against the Astros. I'm very afraid.
    Up the difficulty, change some settings, and wait for some realistic sliders to be released. :

I picked up MVP 2005 yesterday. It doesn't seem like the pitchers have the velocity they did in 2004, which I felt was the greatest part of the game. No other game I have ever played simulates what it is really like to stand in a batter's box as well as MVP. No other game is even close. But, the 2005 version almost seems like pitching has taken a hit, so to speak. I mean, it's hard to tell. It's very, very similar, but something about it is not quite the same. Maybe a few more games will let me adjust.

I like the improvements on defense. On double plays, fielders seem to throw to a spot (ie. second base) and the pivot man actually catches in stride, turns and throws like a real ballplayer. On grounders to the first basemen, he tosses the ball to the covering pitcher in stride (rather than waiting until he is covering the bag to release it). The fielding is more fluid and realistic. I made a killer diving catch with Willy Mo Pena on a gapper that looked like a true web gem. I also like how the game is set to "manual defense" by default, another change from 2004.

They're getting a little fancier with the faces, and the closeups show blemishes, freckles, etc... that are closer to photographic than cgi. I guess that was to be expected. There seemed to be a little more variety in the play by play. I like it that they give you at least one classic stadium (Polo Grounds) without having to earn MVP points to unlock it, and it looks really cool with a sort of newsreel sepia tint when you play a game there. I looked over the Owner option, and I have to agree that it looks like a lot of options to juggle. It's cool if you want to dedicate your life to this game for a while, but the franchise mode should be sufficient for most players.

I have probably played 300 games total between MVP 2003 and 2004, and still can't hit to save my life. That hasn't changed.

It's a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Up the difficulty, change some settings, and wait for some realistic sliders to be released. :
    Yep. Pared always comes up with some great sliders over at OS.

Turn Off Ads?