Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cows Hold Grudges

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Cows Hold Grudges

I've always tried not to offend cows. I'm glad that this was the right path.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

Cows hold grudges, say scientists

By Jonathan Leake
    February 28, 2005

ONCE they were a byword for mindless docility. But cows have a complex mental life in which they bear grudges, nurture friendships and become excited by intellectual challenges, researchers have found.

Cows are capable of strong emotions such as pain, fear and even anxiety about the future. But if farmers provide the right conditions, they can also feel great happiness. The findings have emerged from studies of farm animals that have found similar traits in pigs, goats and chickens. They suggest such animals may be so emotionally similar to humans that welfare laws need to be reconsidered.

The research will be presented to a conference in London next month sponsored by animal welfare group Compassion in World Farming. Christine Nicol, professor of animal welfare at Britain's Bristol University, said even chickens might have to be treated as individuals with needs and problems.

"Remarkable cognitive abilities and cultural innovations have been revealed," she said. "Our challenge is to teach others that every animal we intend to eat or use is a complex individual, and to adjust our farming culture accordingly."

Her colleague John Webster added: "People have assumed intelligence is linked to the ability to suffer, and that because animals have smaller brains they suffer less than humans. That is a pathetic piece of logic."

The Bristol researchers have documented how cows within a herd form friendship groups of between two and four animals with whom they spend most of their time, often grooming and licking each other. They will also dislike other cows, and can bear grudges for months or years.

Donald Broom, professor of animal welfare at Cambridge University, will tell the conference how cows can become excited by solving intellectual challenges.

In one study, researchers challenged the animals with a task where they had to find how to open a door to get some food. An electroencephalograph was used to measure their brainwaves.

"The brainwaves showed their excitement; their heartbeat went up and some even jumped into the air. We called it their Eureka moment," Professor Broom said.

The assumption that farm animals cannot suffer from conditions that would be intolerable for humans is partly based on the idea they have no sense of self. Latest research suggests this is untrue.

"Sentient animals have the capacity to experience pleasure and are motivated to seek it," Professor Webster said.

"You only have to watch how cows and lambs both seek and enjoy pleasure when they lie with their heads raised to the sun on a perfect English summer's day. Just like humans."

/r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Cows Hold Grudges

Some cows hold bigger grudges than others, I would guess...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in676728.shtml

They suggest such animals may be so emotionally similar to humans that welfare laws need to be reconsidered.

The research will be presented to a conference in London next month sponsored by animal welfare group Compassion in World Farming. Christine Nicol, professor of animal welfare at Britain's Bristol University, said even chickens might have to be treated as individuals with needs and problems.
    The day farm animals start doing anything for society other than providing food is the day I start supporting welfare laws to protect them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Gawd, I love me a hamburger.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Fat and docile, big and dumb
    They look so stupid, they aren't much fun
    Cows aren't fun

They eat to grow, grow to die
    Die to be et at the hamburger fry
    Cows well done

Nobody thunk it, nobody knew
    No one imagined the great cow guru
    Cows are one

He hid in the forest, read books with great zeal
    He loved Che Guevera, a revolutionary veal
    Cow Tse Tongue

He spoke about justice, but nobody stirred
    He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd
    Cow doldrums

He mooed we must fight, escape or we'll die
    Cows gathered around, cause the steaks were so high
    Bad cow pun

But then he was captured, stuffed into a crate
    Loaded onto a truck, where he rode to his fate
    Cows are bummed

He was a scrawny calf, who looked rather woozy
    No one suspected he was packing an Uzi
    Cows with guns

They came with a needle to stick in his thigh
    He kicked for the groin, he pissed in their eye
    Cow well hung

Knocked over a tractor and ran for the door
    Six gallons of gas flowed out on the floor
    Run cows run!

He picked up a bullhorn and jumped up on the hay
    We are free roving bovines, we run free today

We will fight for bovine freedom
    And hold our large heads high
    We will run free with the Buffalo, or die
    Cows with guns

They crashed the gate in a great stampede
    Tipped over a milk truck, torched all the feed
    Cows have fun

Sixty police cars were piled in a heap
    Covered in cow pies, covered up deep
    Much cow dung

Black smoke rising, darkening the day
    Twelve burning McDonalds, have it your way

Cows with guns

The President said "enough is enough

These uppity cattle, its time to get tough"
    Cow dung flung

The newspapers gloated, folks sighed with relief
    Tomorrow at noon, they would all be ground beef
    Cows on buns

The cows were surrounded, they waited and prayed
    They mooed their last moos,
    they chewed their last hay
    Cows out gunned

The order was given to turn cows to whoppers
    Enforced by the might of ten thousand coppers
    But on the horizon surrounding the shoppers

Came the deafening roar of chickens in choppers

Cows with guns
    Last edited by KronoRed; 03-04-2005 at 03:15 PM.
    Go Gators!

This makes two Fridays in a row that I've posted this picture for one reason or another. :MandJ:

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I hope that none of them hold that last cow-tipping adventure against me.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

in other words, when it looked like my neighbor's cows were only standing in a field, chewing grass and staring off blankly into space...they actually could have been contemplating my demise!i KNEW i should have let one of them just eat that tennis ball!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?