Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyware Removal

Spyware Removal

Ok. This past week I've been fighting this one particular spyware. I'm getting the advertisement for Registry Cleaner, Party Poker, and a few others. They seem to be coming from the same web address... www.oinadserve.com .... but there is not such site when I try to pull it up.

I've updated and ran AdAware, Spybot, SpySubtract, and also CW Shredder. And I'm still getting this thing. And I can tell it's slowing down my computer.

I've also updated and ran my Norton's Anti-Virus and found nothing.

Any suggestion would be helpful.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spyware Removal

Got a firewall?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Last edited by TRF; 02-24-2005 at 09:43 PM.

have you tried microsofts spyware remover?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    have you tried microsofts spyware remover?
    No I haven't. I didn't even know they had one. I have the firewall that comes with XP; but I was told that no firewall will stop spyware. Especially once you open up a website, which I think is my problem. My wife and kids go onto these gaming websites, and I think that is where a majority of it comes from. They are downloading it unaware.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The two links i gave have instructions on how to kill this beast. I'd get ZoneAlarm as my firewall, you can actuall see how mant attacks you are repelling and disallow programs from accessing the internet.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

One thing I would do GAC, is find a program by the name of "Hijack This" and install it. Once you've installed it, run it, and generate a "Hijack This Log"

If you do a search on google for "Hijack This Log" there are about a dozen places on the net that are free, who will take the log you posted, tell you what is good and bad, and what to do with it.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've been fighting what I think is the same or similar malware program. What I've found is that the rund32.dll file is being created or modified by some program and it's not being picked up by any of the adware/spyware programs I have running. It tries to take me to a-d-w-a-r-e.com site. I've got my firewall up and have any connection to the internet blocked by this program but sometimes it still locks up my internet connection and I have to kill the program entirely. I'm going to run through these steps later on tonight and hopefully get rid of this monster once and for all.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I was attacked with "about:blank" weeks ago, and the Microsoft product worked best for me. It's a Beta version so you can download it for free. What attracted me to it is that there is a "browser hijack restore" option that will go in and reset all your default pages to one of your choice. You can also set it to constantly scan things and prevent them from being changed in the first place. FWIW, I tried all of the Norton products, Hijack This, and other free downloads suggested here, but none of them helped like the Microsoft product. And usually I'll be the LAST one to trump one of their products!
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    I was attacked with "about:blank" weeks ago, and the Microsoft product worked best for me. It's a Beta version so you can download it for free. What attracted me to it is that there is a "browser hijack restore" option that will go in and reset all your default pages to one of your choice. You can also set it to constantly scan things and prevent them from being changed in the first place. FWIW, I tried all of the Norton products, Hijack This, and other free downloads suggested here, but none of them helped like the Microsoft product. And usually I'll be the LAST one to trump one of their products!
    Thanks guys for your input. I too LawFive was "hijacked" by "about:blank" this time. I've gotten it before and usually CW Shredder will take care of it. But not this time. The malware has evolved!

I also downloaded Microsoft's Beta version of spyware removal. I like it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    One thing I would do GAC, is find a program by the name of "Hijack This" and install it. Once you've installed it, run it, and generate a "Hijack This Log"

If you do a search on google for "Hijack This Log" there are about a dozen places on the net that are free, who will take the log you posted, tell you what is good and bad, and what to do with it.
    Thanks jmc. Is this software only for the advanced user though? I'm no novice; but I not advanced either. I don't want to end up screwing up my registry.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF

I followed all of the steps in the 2nd link on this and I am spyware free.

Really some good advice in that link and on that site in general.

Hopefully with occasional maintenance, I will be cured.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I have a firewall that is part of the Windows XP OS. Isn't that enough? I liked Zone Alarm; but won't it conflict with the XP firewall?

Just curious. GAC do you run an Instant Messager such as AIM or Yahoo IM, etc.??

These programs leave your computer vulnerable to spyware and attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I have a firewall that is part of the Windows XP OS. Isn't that enough? I liked Zone Alarm; but won't it conflict with the XP firewall?
    The XP firewall is, not so great, it's better then nothing but I would stick with zonealarm, you can shut the XP firewall off in the control panal so they don't conflict
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?