Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Mole remedies?

Favorite Mole remedies?

We have a mole invasion worst than any I've ever seen. They built up their little mole armies over the winter. There's little mole bunkers everywhere. I think they used TeamGriffey's Tonka equipment for all the construction.

They've declared war.

I need tactical advice.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Mole remedies?

The only sure-fire remedy is to catch them and kill them. They do not move during the heat of the day, and most of their movement can be seen early in the morning or at dusk. Look for fresh trails/mounds. Walk softly, show patience, and look for any movement. Then jab your shovel in behind them, flip them out, and NAIL'EM!

It takes practice and alot of patience. It's almost like an art form!

I've tried all the other remedies, and none of them have ever worked. While you should get your yard treated to kill grubs (which moles like).... getting rid of the grubs will not get rid of the moles. Moles also love earthworms. And you need them for a healthy backyard.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Surrender
    Go Gators!

This is their breeding season, apparently a good time to kill them. I'm going to Home Depot to pick up a trap or two.

My strategy: press down some tunnels and mark them. Tommorrow, I'll check to see which tunnels are active and set the traps.

Rat finks!
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

I like to whack them with a little hammer when they stick their heads up through their holes.

At least until I run out of tokens.
    Last edited by tixe; 02-26-2005 at 08:57 PM. Reason: whim

TC, I was listening to a guy on AM radio (I think his name was Gary Sullivan - he's syndicated nationwide on Saturday mornings) and he said about the only thing you can do is catch em and kill em, like GAC said. Products on the market run them off, but they'll be back.

I live in Kentucky, south of Lex, and people around here say that the mole problem is the worst they've seen in a long time. I've lived here for almost 11 years and never had a mole until a year ago this past fall. This fall just past the problem was much, much worse, and they haven't let up. Anybody know what the deal is?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Mole traps. Sorry, but that's about the only answer. And sorry to say, we're in for a pretty bad season. Moles had a great year, feeding on cicadas and guess what that led to- lots of mole babies.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bill Murray!

oh, wait. That was gophers.

I have a couple of those mole traps, but I could never get them to work. The little varmits wouldn't push enough dirt to set them off.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Yeah, those traps are tricky. My dog caught three moles last year and I only got one with my traps. I got two more when I was gardening, just happened to dig them up in a bed.

I just went ahead and set two traps. They're tough to set. They're very sensitive. I cussed a little ...... well maybe a lot. My toes are still in tact. I was going to wait until I identified the best tunnels. I walked them and used my best judgement.

TG and I enjoy our trips to Home Depot, so it was a good Saturday. We have McDonalds and the basketball game is on.

Is dusk the best time to hunt them with a shovel? Should I get out there with a flashlight, shovel and beverage tonight?

Not that I would claim to be the real expert on mole hunting, but from what I hear a beverage is required. Moles are most active early in the morning, like around 5am.
    However, I did catch a mole in one of my traps in the late afternoon.

Have you tried to reason with them?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

:MandJ: I tried diplomatic relations with them last year, all they did was breed little soldiers.

I say you give sanctions more time to work.

Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?