Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Why it sucks to be a Bengals fan

Re: OT: Why it sucks to be a Bengals fan

I've been wondering since the end of the Bengals season, can Warrick be released? I'm very worried that his knee injury might be career ending.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _sturt_
    That's just not the case. You're thinking basketball. The NFL has very strict rules on their salary cap, which is exactly why everyone has to cut all these guys THIS very week.
    I remember the Steelers a couple of years ago being fined and losing a draft pick because they were over the cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Source?

First of all, no one is allowed to finsih "over" the cap... that's why they call it a "hard" salary cap.

Second of all, everything I've read says the Bengals -- ONCE AGAIN -- finished in the top half for salary cap room with 5.6 mil; though I admit, being #11 is, at least, an improvement from 2001, when they were #1.

So much for seeing what you want to see.... if you don't do your homework, your credibility is shot, so better to not "bring it" unless you can back it up.
    NFL teams have until March 2nd to be at or below the previous years salary cap, thats why so many players are cut in late February, ie they have until 3-2-2005 to be at or under the 2004 cap. If they are not, they can be penalized in a variety of ways such as forfieture of draft picks etc.

More than half of the league -- 17 teams -- spent more than the $80.6 million salary cap. The NFL has a soft cap that allows clubs to structure players' contracts so that they can spend more than the cap and still remain in compliance.

The method utilized by the players' union for computing teams' payrolls allows for comparisons of the clubs' spending habits, but does not necessarily reflect how much cash a team actually spent on players in a year.
    My source for the Bengals cap status in 04.....Bengals Cap

So much for you doing your homework, you obviously didn't. And don't tell me not to 'bring it', it's just juvenile and pathetic. Talk about lack of credibility.....

In short, are the Bengals the Patriots? No. But are they the Bungles anymore either? No. If you can't see that, then nothing anyone here can say will change your mind. But you know what? You coming here whining is not going to change anyone's mind who does see it either.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

sturt, Joseph, anyone else,

Further snide/rude/denigrating comments directed at other posters in this thread, or others, will result in disciplinary action.

So cut it out.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Cruisin' for trouble

It's interesting that New England has come up as an example, but New England's example hasn't.

For instance - where is their big signing?

Ty Law was recently cut because he is due to get a sizeable upgrade in his contract. Neither he nor Ty Poole (their two starting corners at the beginning of the year) played in the Super Bowl, yet the Patriots won. Quick (without scanning the internet) name the two corners that started for the Patriots in the Super Bowl - I know I can't.

I think what NE is demonstrating is that a good system infused with coachable talent can go a long way. They have some good players on the defensive side of the ball, but none of them could be classified as HOF caliber.

When was the last time NE signed a high-dollar free agent?

Don't say Corey Dillon - he was acquired via trade.

Tom Brady was a draft pick. So were Ty Law, Troy Brown, Teddy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Dan Klecko, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinatieri, Willie McGinest, etc.

NE does use free agency, but typically only to fill the gaps with role players. The draft is now and has been the key to their success over the last ten years. The Bengals could get there too, but they need to draft better, retain continuity and fill in the blanks with modest free agents.

Excellent point GoReds.

Bengals Tender 4

The latest news ....
    Bengals tender offers to four

By Mark Curnutte
    Enquirer staff writer

The Bengals today tendered contract offers to four of their own players who could become restricted free agents on Wednesday.

The club made tender offers to cornerbacks Rashad Bauman and Reggie Myles, running back Kenny Watson and linebacker Marcus Wilkins.

In making the offers, the Bengals secure the right to retain the players by matching any offer sheet they would sign from another team. The players could also remain with the Bengals by signing the tender offer for 2005 or by negotiating a longer-term contract.

The four players were tendered at amounts that qualify as their “draft-status level” under the league’s collective bargaining agreement. For example, with Bauman, who entered the NFL as a third-round draft choice, the Bengals would receive a third-round draft choice were they to decline to match an offer sheet Bauman might sign with another team.

The other three players entered the NFL as undrafted players, so the Bengals would not receive compensation.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

_sturt_

Here's my homework assignment for your review, noting the use of the word "hard" in the first paragraph...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=1743706

...and pay special attention to 1.13 in this paper, Teacher...

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

...and finally...

The NFL mandates a League Cap, an upper limit below which every Team's Cap # must be from March 1 until the end of the football season. If, for instance, the League Cap for 2002 is $71.1 million, then a Team's Cap # from March 1, 2002 until the end of the 2002 football season must always be below $71.1 million. After the 2002 football season, the NFL would set a League Cap for 2003 but it would not take effect until March 1, 2003. So between the end of the 2002 football season and March 1, 2003, a Team's Cap # would not have to be below the League Cap. If a team's cap # is higher than the league cap during this time, the team will release players or restructure player contracts prior to March 1 so they can fit under the the League Cap by March 1.
    (from http://ttb.20m.com/)

The come-upance is that the Bengals would like for you to imagine that their cap number between the Super Bowl and March 1 is actually important... it's obviously not.

What's actually important is where you stand at the beginning of a given season -- who are you paying and how much have you shelled out over the off-season for the coming season... which is why it is looked in July, and why Clayton at ESPN highlighted it in August:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=1510617

Why the change from the team that spent the least in 2001 to the team that spent the 11th least in 2004? Perhaps the stadium lawsuit has made Mike Brown a bit uneasy... that would be a good thing.

But again, until he bites a bullet and takes on a salary of someone who, walking in the door, fills an important void and makes the team appreciably better by anyone's measurement... yes, not unlike how Bob Kraft opened his arms to Dillon, in terms of both the trade cost AND the contract cost... Mike Brown has been and will continue to be the single common denominator curse of this franchise. It's been the case since his dad passed, and even the records since Marvin Lewis came to town demonstrate that.

It is a shame... Lewis has done amazing things in two years just to get to 8-8. And I'm persuaded the man very well could be a SB coach someday. But it won't be while he's working for PB-Wanna-Be MikeyMiser. He has done absolutely nothing and continues to do nothing, even in this Lewis era, to suggest that an acquisition at the level of Dillon would ever be made.

I just hope when Lewis moves on that this is the very last time we see Bengals fans look the other way from Brown's disproportionate interest in taking financial care of the next 10 generations of Browns. Better yet, Bengals season ticket holders could change the whole picture by waiting out this season's July 15 analysis of salary cap room before sending any money to the Brown Family Conglomerate.
    Last edited by _sturt_; 03-01-2005 at 11:52 PM.

_sturt_

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    When was the last time NE signed a high-dollar free agent?

Don't say Corey Dillon - he was acquired via trade.
    Yeah, don't say Corey Dillon, who cost the Pats BOTH money AND draft picks.

GoReds, regardless, based on history, you're never going to see MikeyMiser make that kind of acquisition. He may part with draft picks, but the deal breaker is the money.

It's all about his family's money, but too many Bengals fans only seem to notice in-between coaching hires.

Derrick Mason is not even a Lexus, let alone a Rolls-Royce. I'd say he's an Accord or a Camry. One thing Marvin has shown tremendous competence at is evaluating talent and I'm guessing that Marvin doesn't see Mason as a luxury model, but a reliable 4 door sedan that gets decent gas mileage.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

_sturt_

The Bengals have drawn a line in the sand, and two unrestricted free agents -- wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and center Rich Braham -- are standing on the other side. If the players don't agree to terms on new contracts by midnight tonight, both hit the open market on Wednesday when the 2005 NFL free agency period begins.
    -- Dayton Daily News

Hey, as long as MikeyMiser has bigger acquistion plans for the money he'll save... right??? :MandJ:

Cruisin' for trouble

Yeah, don't say Corey Dillon, who cost the Pats BOTH money AND draft picks.

GoReds, regardless, based on history, you're never going to see MikeyMiser make that kind of acquisition. He may part with draft picks, but the deal breaker is the money.

It's all about his family's money, but too many Bengals fans only seem to notice in-between coaching hires.
    Wow.

Based on the clear facts and evidence that you have supplied, how can I possibly think that there is a vendetta involved.

Gee, who woulda thunk it. Logic debunked by emotion.

Enjoy yourself!

The Bengals have drawn a line in the sand, and two unrestricted free agents -- wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and center Rich Braham -- are standing on the other side. If the players don't agree to terms on new contracts by midnight tonight, both hit the open market on Wednesday when the 2005 NFL free agency period begins.
    -- Dayton Daily News

Hey, as long as MikeyMiser has bigger acquistion plans for the money he'll save... right??? :MandJ:
    The funny thing is, the last public bashing of Mike Brown I heard was by Bob Trumpy who had to end up admitting on Lance McAlister's show that he was wrong about Marvin's knowledge and level of involvement (very high) with the salary cap. So.....I think you're barking up the wrong tree, sturt. Marvin and Katie are managing the cap, not Mr. Brown. I believe Mike would have to play games like the Washington owner does to circumvent the cap so he can pay big money for underperforming free agents. From what I've read, conspiracy theories aside, the Bengals are up against the cap unless they can get Rudi signed long-term or traded and get a few other guys (Wille Anderson and Levi Jones, IIRC) to sign extensions.

The news on Braham is that he is re-signing as soon as his leg clears medically. No smoking gun there.

Housh is simply trying to cash in on a big year, but bengals.com is reporting he is close to re-signing as well. If he doesn't, OK, this seems to be an area the Bengals have never had a trouble finding talented players in. In fact, I can't remember a time when the Bengals had a poor receiving corps, and I've been following since the 70s. Maybe 1993, when Jeff Query led the team in receiving?
    Last edited by traderumor; 03-02-2005 at 10:21 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Look _sturt_ anyone, myself included, can go out there and find numbers that suggest the Bengals are against the cap, way under the cap, and anywhere in between. Its more than clear you want to be negative about the Bengals, and in particular Mike Brown.

You'll get no argument from me that the Bengals were atrocious in the 90's, but at present I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the state of the organization. They are a growing building franchise. As long as they compete to put the best product possible on the field, I don't care how rich Mike Brown, Katie and Troy Blackburn, Marvin Lewis, or any other front office person gets.

EOD for me.

The latest news is Mason has signed a five year contract with the Ravens

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8245522

The good news for Bengals fans is according to the Bengals website Houshmandzadeh appears to be on the verge of signing a new 4 year contract with the Bengals.

http://www.bengals.com/

Turn Off Ads?