Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Why it sucks to be a Bengals fan

_sturt_

OT: Why it sucks to be a Bengals fan

From SI.com:

The Bengals were mentioned as one team to have expressed interest in Mason, but Jacksonville and Baltimore negotiated directly with agent Peter Schaffer and appeared to be offering a great deal more money than the Bengals would.
    -- Cincinnati Enquirer
    I swear, you can have a highly competent head coach, but if you have a family-empire-obsessed general manager/owner who has delusions of grandeur about being a football mind in his father's tradition ... .500 seems about all you're ever going to be able to feel good about ... I don't know how many times Bengals fans will hit the wall with this before they see it plainly enough and begin to yell loudly and consistently enough.

Mike Brown is clearly the Winnebago hitched to the back of your Plamer/Lewis stock car.

The man needs a "Jerry Jones moment," ie, one where he gives up pretending and lets someone else take the wheel in the way that Jones gave it to Parcells.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OT: Why it sucks to be a Bengals fan

The Bengals don't need Mason. He's good yeah. I'd be excited if he came, but they need P-Dub and Housh to come back as far as recievers go. They need d-line help.

Brown has stepped aside as far as letting others take control. Will just take some time to see the fruits of Marvins labors.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

There's no reason the Bengals should offer Mason a big contract. They have receivers, they have much bigger needs elsewhere. Contacting him with a lower offer just to see if he'd bite doesn't hurt. But it would be stupid to break the bank for him when they have so many other needs.

_sturt_

The post isn't so much about Mason, guys.

The post is about -- when is the last time Mike Brown went out and spent Rolls Royce money on Rolls Royce players?

At some point, in this 21st century environment, the owner has to quit stockpiling his family fortune, and get certain help in the FA market.

Lewis has done a wonderful fantabulous job with the resources he has... but if he's actually been given the key to the bank vault, there's no evidence of that.

Until then, the objective observer is left to think that whole idea of Brown giving Lewis latitude is a ruse and a charade... and one that is fairly simple to see through.

It's too bad, too... because with the right person, the Bengals truly could have a SB contending team as early as THIS season. But Brown shows no signs of budging from his egocentricity.
    Last edited by _sturt_; 02-28-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _sturt_
    The post isn't so much about Mason, guys.

The post is about -- when is the last time Mike Brown went out and spent Rolls Royce money on Rolls Royce players?

At some point, in this 21st century environment, the owner has to quit stockpiling his family fortune, and get certain help in the FA market.

Lewis has done a wonderful fantabulous job with the resources he has... but if he's actually been given the key to the bank vault, there's no evidence of that.

Until then, the objective observer is left to think that whole idea of Brown giving Lewis latitude is a ruse and a charade... and one that is fairly simple to see through.

It's too bad, too... because with the right person, the Bengals truly could have a SB contending team as early as THIS season. But Brown shows no signs of budging from his egocentricity.
    Chad Johnson two years ago and when the re-negotiated his contract ahead of when they needed to.

Carson Palmer when they drafted him #1 and got him into camp quickly.

The Bengals will be against the cap this season if they bring back Rudi, TJ, sign draft picks, and a free agent d-lineman, so there's no money to sign Mason.

I think we see a different Mike Brown. The Mike Brown of the last couple years is vastly different than the one who ran the franchise into the ground thru the 90's Money isn't being spent foolishly on the Michael Westbrooks, or marginal CBs, or Reinard Wilsons.

I don't at all think its a ruse or charade. Lewis has great lattitude within the franchise now. No, he doesn't have a blank check, but he does tell the Browns and Blackburns where to send the checks.

People often get on the Bengals for not dropping big dollar contracts on free agents. What you forget is that Carson Palmer is something like the 8th highest paid player in the league. On top of that, Rudi is now being paid in the top 5 RB's, and Warrick was a #4 overall pick as well.

The Bengals have big dollar contracts, they are just from people they've drafted.

_sturt_

Quote Originally Posted by Aceking
    The Bengals have big dollar contracts, they are just from people they've drafted.
    Yes. And I contend that building EXCLUSIVELY through the draft will get you close... but NEVER... over the top.

And if an owner/GM never even begins to approach the salary cap year-after-year-after-year, even now in the Lewis era... that says more about his interest in managing the family business than it does about his interest in managing a SB quality football team.

Meaningless to you I'm sure and no flame intended, but to my mind, some of you are just seeing what you WANT to see.

The Bengals will be against the cap this season if they bring back Rudi, TJ, sign draft picks, and a free agent d-lineman
    Okay... so there's every indication that they're NOT going to resign TJ if you've been following the grapevine nationally... no indication they're going after one of the top-dog D-linemen...

"Against the cap???"

Don't count on it. History says differently. Same old Mike.
    Last edited by _sturt_; 02-28-2005 at 01:29 PM.

bomarl1969

This is stupid. The Bengals doesn't need Mason with CJ, Warrick, TJ, and Kelly. They need to spend money on a d-line, the linebackers could also use another stud to go with Hardy and Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by _sturt_
    Yes. And I contend that building EXCLUSIVELY through the draft will get you close... but NEVER... over the top.

And if an owner/GM never even begins to approach the salary cap year-after-year-after-year, even now in the Lewis era... that says more about his interest in managing the family business than it does about his interest in managing a SB quality football team.

Meaningless to you I'm sure and no flame intended, but to my mind, some of you are just seeing what you WANT to see.

Okay... so there's every indication that they're NOT going to resign TJ if you've been following the grapevine nationally... no indication they're going after one of the top-dog D-linemen...

"Against the cap???"

Don't count on it. History says differently. Same old Mike.

I think its YOU who are seeing what you want to see. From ALL indications, TJ WILL be re-signed. He even hired a new agent because the other one didn't want him to re-sign with the Bengals. Following the 'grapevine' gives no indication of TJ leaving Cincinnati, aside from specualtion from a reporter or two here and there who are just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks.

I can't comment on what free-agents from outside the organization they are targeting because I don't work in their front office, but I don't doubt they'll at least entertain whatever top tier free agents are on the market that suit needs for the team.

As for recent history and the cap.....the Bengals finished 2004 OVER the salary cap by 1 million dollars.

Why It Sucks To Be A Bengals Fan

1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002...

Jack Thompson, David Klingler, and Akili Smith.

The Seattle hotel gang rape in 1990.

James Brooks jersey number is not retired, nor will he be in the Hall Of Fame. From 85 thru 90, except for his injury-plagued 87, there was not a better ofensive player in the league.

James Brooks was named by the victim as one of the rapists. The hint of impropriety is just as damaging as impropriety.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    Why It Sucks To Be A Bengals Fan

1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002...

Jack Thompson, David Klingler, and Akili Smith.

Amen to that...add Ki-Jana Carter to that mess, plus Gus Ferrotte and Neil O'Donnell. whoooo geezsh.

_sturt_

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    As for recent history and the cap.....the Bengals finished 2004 OVER the salary cap by 1 million dollars.
    Source?

First of all, no one is allowed to finsih "over" the cap... that's why they call it a "hard" salary cap.

Second of all, everything I've read says the Bengals -- ONCE AGAIN -- finished in the top half for salary cap room with 5.6 mil; though I admit, being #11 is, at least, an improvement from 2001, when they were #1.

So much for seeing what you want to see.... if you don't do your homework, your credibility is shot, so better to not "bring it" unless you can back it up.

you can finish over the cap, you just get penalized for it

I can't understand why you would want Mason. That money could be much better used on the defense. The Bengals are very close to the cap, esp. if they get a D-lineman.

The Bengals don't need offense, they need defense. This post is nit-picky and stupid. :dflynn:

_sturt_

Quote Originally Posted by kxblue
    you can finish over the cap, you just get penalized for it
    That's just not the case. You're thinking basketball. The NFL has very strict rules on their salary cap, which is exactly why everyone has to cut all these guys THIS very week.

I can't understand why you would want Mason. That money could be much better used on the defense. The Bengals are very close to the cap, esp. if they get a D-lineman.

The Bengals don't need offense, they need defense. This post is nit-picky and stupid. :dflynn:
    Indeed, it is if you're wanting to talk about Mason.

I'm not.

I'm wanting to illuminate how this is just another example in a long line of examples where Mike Brown isn't willing to spend money... on Mason, or anyone else.

It's the same thing every year, but living in Lexington, I know Bengals fans only raise a stink about it when they finally give up on a coach and are made to think about the utter fuitlity of being a Bengals fan.

THAT'S what's stupid.

But Mike Brown sure does appreciate your optimism and oversight.

Turn Off Ads?