Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Zombie story gets student thrown in jail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zombie story gets student thrown in jail

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
    said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Re: Zombie story gets student thrown in jail

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony
    Thought Police.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Thought Police.

My thoughts exactly...

Geez, I'm glad the government is protecting us from kids writing stories about zombies..

Hopefully this is just a case of the cops not wanting to admit they were wrong, and the kid comes out unscathed.

What kind of grandparents go straight to the cops with a story a kid wrote?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'd say that his biggest problem was that his story was based on fiction instead of being fiction itself. That'll leave him open to a plagerism charge. Or maybe a remedial English class.

Who are the Brain Police?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The kind who've been scared to death by sensational sweeps-week reporting on the local news, and have been led to believe that every kid's a secret terrorist and every thunderstorm is Armageddon.

And who probably aren't too involved in their grandson's life.
    Last edited by tixe; 02-28-2005 at 04:35 PM. Reason: black helicopters

It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing
    He should fail English class based on this quote alone.

As for the rest of the story, I agree with WOY.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Nice grandparents. If they'd found drugs, would they have cuffed him to a tree or held him at gunpoint before calling the cops?
    /r/reds

News from Germany:

Rolph Kafka was arrested for killing his son with his shoe after reading the boys journal reports local police.

"Franz was a giant bug I tell you, a hideous bug... he even he said so himself!!!" screamed Rolph as he was dragged into the station house in Hamburg.

I long for the day when we just burned books.

For a Level Playing Field

All depends on if you believe the suspect or wait to hear the other side. Here's some stuff from the other side.

Winchester Sun Times article (local paper there):

Student jailed for alleged school takeover threat

By TIM WELDON/Sun Staff Writer

Winchester police have arrested a George Rogers Clark High School junior whom they allege was attempting to organize an armed takeover of the school.

William Poole, 18, of 426 E. Broadway, was arrested at GRCHS Tuesday. Acting on a tip from a family member, police reported that he was attempting to "recruit a gang to take over the school," according to Detective Berl Perdue.

The threat involved the use of weapons, according to Purdue. "He didn't have a gang, but he was attempting to organize one," he said. Purdue added that no threat was made against a specific individual.

GRCHS Principal John Atkins said he could not comment on whether Poole has been in disciplinary trouble at the school due to confidentiality reasons. He did comment that, "I know him."

Police recovered writings in which Poole allegedly attempted to convince other students to participate in an armed takeover. He was being held this morning at the Clark County Detention Center. During a hearing in Clark District Court this morning, Poole's bond was increased from a $1,000 to a $5,000 cash bond based on a prosecution motion.

Atkins said he has been unable to share some information with students and staff about the incident due to the continuing investigation. Classes continued normally Wednesday and today and there have been no problems, Atkins said.

"We did not have any concern that students had weapons at school," he said. "We don't know who's included in this. That's what we're working on, to see if there were other individuals involved. ... We're not sure that there are."

From a high school student there:

Consider this if you're wondering about the boy's creditbility: his initial story was that it was a short story for vocational school (yeah, the place where you learn carpentry and welding, not creative writing). Then it switched to an English assignment. Funny thing is, he doesn't have an English class this semester. He's also been involved in a number of fights and assaults on campus. His sister is even worried because she read what he wrote and she says it's no zombie story. He had the sites of the cameras on campus mapped out and had timed out how quickly the police could arrive on campus. Heretofore, his grandparents have done everything they could to keep him out of jail
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 02-28-2005 at 07:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?