Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYT Editorial: Don't Blame Wal-Mart

Re: NYT Editorial: Don't Blame Wal-Mart

What if you shop at neither Walmart nor Target, and never have--not even once?

Must I blame myself for the atrocious labor practices of Walmart?

Doctor, heal thyself.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I agree with you. I haven't gone to WalMart in a few years, after learning about their practices. This editorial does point out some of my own hypocricies tho', such as being pro living-wage, yet scouring the internet for the cheapest airfares and cheapest books.

The article just shows that the dialogue on the balance between pro-consumerism and pro-decent wage needs to be bumped onto a higher level in a hurry. It's not nearly as simplistic as people on the left and right try to make it.
    I buy my books online, used from mom n' pop internet stores.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    We have a place here called Bi-Mart which is employee owned and just like a mini Wal Mart, alas they have no Zout and to Wal Mart I must go to buy our years supply.
    anyone else disturbed that woy needs a cleaner that removes bloodstains easily?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    anyone else disturbed that woy needs a cleaner that removes bloodstains easily?
    Not blood, but it's great on Olive Oil stains, which as the cook in the family I have plenty of.

It's odd, but where I live people hate Wal-Mart and LOVE Target.
    In my observations, Target tends to have wider aisles and shorter racks and shelves than Wal-Mart, creating a more open environment. Wal-Marts tend to pack every square inch of floorspace with racks, and their shelves are packed beyond the point of saturation with products.

Target also appears to attract a more affluent suburban customer than Wal-Mart. It could be perceived as a refuge from the "unwashed masses" shopping at Wal-Mart.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

There was a great article in Slate a few months ago about the Costco/Walmart divide. Anyhow, I've noticed the Target thing too. The nearest Target for San Franciscans is in suburban Colma. We treat a "Target-run" as guilty pleasure.

And as much as I like Robert Reich, I don't thing the article adds much to the debate. I don't want a Walmart in town, but if its already here, sure I'll save a few pennies and make the most of a bad situation. People vote with their pocketbook, they also vote with, well, their votes.

Don't forget Target checkouts are a lot less hassle. They willingly open up new aisles. In Walmart, they are 10 customers deep. Than you try your hand at the self checkout aisle. Using self checkout is a mistake, because when you put it in the bag, it doesn't recognize it and then you have to wait for an employee to come by and clear it.

Maybe my perception of the two chains is affected by what I shop for. We have a "Super Wal-Mart" near where we live (a rural area). I regularly buy groceries there, along with the occasional CD or DVD, sports items for my sons,basic auto maintainance items, and so on. I don't purchase clothing at either Wal-Mart or Target, other than maybe athletic socks or underwear.
    I just don't "get" the Target/Wal-Mart divide or why Target has any "snob" appeal. They both seem to be discount stores to me,nothing more.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

around my neck of the woods, the target stores are typically newer, and as a result cleaner...i for one detest walmart...i think it has to do with their commercials and how they try so hard to make you feel like they care so much about their employees and the community...i just don't buy it...do i think target is great...not really...i only buy snacks and cleaning supplies from there, as they are much cheaper than the grocery store...

as for costco versus sams club...similar to target, they are much newer around here...love them...there's nothing better than getting things in bulk for a reasonable price...i go there once a week whether i need to or not...you would not believe how much detergent, bleach and toilet paper one person can really have in there house :mhcky21:

The stores that I learned to hate years ago was K-Mart. IMO, they did themselves in. Terrible organizational scheme and poor inventory control. There are few very around here anymore. I remember when they started building the very first Wal-Marts in this region around 15-20 years ago. K-Marts went to the local city councils and complained bitterly, somehow feeling they had some sort of an "arrangement" that gave them protection or prevented a competitor from moving into what they felt was their territory. Well, now there are no more K-Marts, and most around here say "good riddance!".

I, like any consumer, goe where they can get the best deals and lowest prices.

I look at those who purchase over the 'net. Right now, and in a majority of the situations, you're doing so why? Because you're not paying any sales tax. Now some states are using the trust system, and asking the consumer to voluntarily, on their returns, claim internet purchases and thus pay a sales tax. How many are actually doing that?

Question: Should internet purchases be subject to sales tax? Why not.

And aren't internet purchases helping to contribute to the way that retailers, such as Wal-Marts, are conducting their business in some ways?

Why should this be allowed to go on?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-02-2005 at 09:04 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It's odd, but where I live people hate Wal-Mart and LOVE Target.
    I confess. But has Target been caught Red handed locking up its employees?
    Stick to your guns.

The reason I hate Wal-Mart is I work in a business- printing overwrap on polyethelene-when you but that bottle water wrapped in printed polt film, ot toilet paper- I am the gut printing that wrap. We have been told point blank by Presidents and CEO's and KFCs and DVDs and all sorts of other clean-shaven lettered types in really nice suits that THE MISSION HAS CHANGED- gotta be a high quality low cost producer to survive (and then I am always reading how my company has bought out another competitor to gain their business) and their best offer at contract time is all they can do and then they post a list of how many employees will be layed off if a contract isn't approved. An actual post with exact numbers. A clear violation of federal labor laws. Oh well, I AM a politically conservative. I guess this is what I ask for, huh? I guess I am just a bit bitter? I guess this is just a sign of the times.

Sorry if I hijacked this a bit. That is my last beer of the night...
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Question: Should internet purchases be subject to sales tax? Why not.
    Kansas already places a sales tax on commercial internet purchases, which means that now I'm paying sales tax AND shipping on anything I order (unless the retailer is offering free shipping). So now it usually makes more sense for me to drive to the store myself and buy an item than for me to spend an extra $5 on an internet purchase.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Kansas already places a sales tax on commercial internet purchases, which means that now I'm paying sales tax AND shipping on anything I order (unless the retailer is offering free shipping). So now it usually makes more sense for me to drive to the store myself and buy an item than for me to spend an extra $5 on an internet purchase.
    How does the state track individual internet purchases Johnny?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Seems like the main part of this article is to ease the conscious of Walmart shoppers.

Note his only three suggested solutions:

A requirement that companies with more than 50 employees offer their workers affordable health insurance

I'd like the government to offer wage insurance to ease the pain of sudden losses of pay.

And I'd support labor standards that make trade agreements a bit more fair.
    Let's see, how are companies going to offer insurance to workers when they are competing with Indian slave labor?

How is the government going to fund this "wage insurance"? More taxes/debt.

Now his third point is a good idea.. However, in order to even the scales, the US gov needs to tariff goods that are manufactured with no regard to employee safety, working conditions, and pollution controls. When that happens, the economic advantage of manufacturing overseas will evaporate (or at least greatly diminish) and then all his good deals at Walmart won't be so good anymore. I'm willing to pay that price, but I doubt he is.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?