Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYT Editorial: Don't Blame Wal-Mart

Re: NYT Editorial: Don't Blame Wal-Mart

FWIW, tonights South Park makes fun of Wal-Mart. Be sure to watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How does the state track individual internet purchases Johnny?
    I believe the taxes are collected by retailers who ship to Kansas *and* have a physical "nexus" (i.e. stores) in the state. Quite a few states are doing this now. A lot of major retail sites like Gap and Best Buy add the sales tax when you select your shipping address.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I believe the taxes are collected by retailers who ship to Kansas *and* have a physical "nexus" (i.e. stores) in the state. Quite a few states are doing this now. A lot of major retail sites like Gap and Best Buy add the sales tax when you select your shipping address.
    So basically, if your state requires you pay sales tax, the internet company is required to collect it and then forward it to the state.

Personally, even though I like the great deals one gets on the internet, I think it is inevitable, due to the state's losing so much revenue, that they are gonna have to start enforcing this nationwide.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Louisiana state tax form has a place for folks to declare how much money they spent on the internet or through mail-order. The honor system.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So basically, if your state requires you pay sales tax, the internet company is required to collect it and then forward it to the state.

Personally, even though I like the great deals one gets on the internet, I think it is inevitable, due to the state's losing so much revenue, that they are gonna have to start enforcing this nationwide.
    Not exactly. If I order something from Dell, I have to pay sales tax because Dell has a large facility in Tennessee. If you order something from Dell, you don't pay tax because Dell does not have a facility in Ohio.

It has worked the same way for catalogue orders for years.

We have no sales tax, so I never have to pay it on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Not exactly. If I order something from Dell, I have to pay sales tax because Dell has a large facility in Tennessee. If you order something from Dell, you don't pay tax because Dell does not have a facility in Ohio.

It has worked the same way for catalogue orders for years.

I purchased a notebook two months ago from dell online. I live in Ohio and I paid sales tax.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    I purchased a notebook two months ago from dell online. I live in Ohio and I paid sales tax.
    Yes; but Ohio is on a "trust" system. There is an awful lot of people that aren't reporting it, and it would be pretty hard for the state to find out.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Yes; but Ohio is on a "trust" system. There is an awful lot of people that aren't reporting it, and it would be pretty hard for the state to find out.

I'm pretty sure Dell charged me sales tax too. Some of the internet companies collect sales tax regardless of the state you live in (for your state).
    It's probably a smart idea, to protect themselves in case the government ever decides to retroactively collect sales tax.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think that's how it works. Isn't that the way sales tax is collected for regular retail transactions too? The brick-and-mortar stores collect the tax when you buy something, then they send the payment to the state.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I think that's how it works. Isn't that the way sales tax is collected for regular retail transactions too? The brick-and-mortar stores collect the tax when you buy something, then they send the payment to the state.
    I thought that in the case of mail (internet) orders, that the buyer had to live in the same state as the point of origin of the produce i.e. a distribution center.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It's odd, but where I live people hate Wal-Mart and LOVE Target.
    A few years ago the difference in the employees and clientel between the Target and WalMart in Huber Heights, OH was staggering, especially considering they were no more than 1/8 of a mile apart. Now there is a SuperWM across town so I am not too sure on the divide anymore.

The difference in the stores is night and day IMO. WM has a nasty habit of putting displays in the middle of the aisles. Aside from everything else they do, that alone is enough to keep me out of their stores.

What really cheesed me off when I lived in Huber was the Lowes that came in and closed the little corner Sears Hardware down from my house. The averaage age of the guys that worked there was at least 65 and they could answer any questions you had about a house, lawn, appliance, plumbing, etc. and could help you Jerry-rig anything. The Lowes employees are a bunch of college aged kids that think a 2-wheeled dolly is a hottie riding a bike. Sigh.

GL

One of the things I hate about Wal-Mart is the aisles. I think to determine the width of their aisles they add the width of 2 carts and then add 1/8 inch for passing room.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    One of the things I hate about Wal-Mart is the aisles. I think to determine the width of their aisles they add the width of 2 carts and then add 1/8 inch for passing room.
    I think Wal-Mart is all about making every square foot of the store profitable. That space where your cart goes isn't selling anything, so the managers try to make it as small as possible.
    /r/reds

I thought that in the case of mail (internet) orders, that the buyer had to live in the same state as the point of origin of the produce i.e. a distribution center.
    A lot of states now have the "nexus" law I wrote about earlier -- if the store has a physical presence in your state, you have to pay taxes on internet purchases. It doesn't have to be a distribution center; any brick-and-mortar store constitutes a "nexus." So if there is a Gap in your state, you will have to pay state sales tax at Gap.com. (Unless you're like westofyou and live in a sales-tax-free state.)

Turn Off Ads?