Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firm makes bid to buy all 30 NHL teams for 3.5 Billion

Re: Firm makes bid to buy all 30 NHL teams for 3.5 Billion

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The playoffs are a boon to NHL owners, they only pay the players during the season and if you are a team like the Red Wings that goes deep in the playoffs every year then it's gravy every year.
    I didn't know that. That's a great incentive for the owners to actually to try to win.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If you're a franchise that has no business being in your specific market (like Carolina) then you cry poor (despite helping create the salary monster you're crying about) and you veto the season to get your cost guarentee in a marketplace that has more interest in college basketball than hockey.

Let's see the league claims to lose 500 million/year and then is cold to a 3.5 billion dollar buyout? Something doesn't add up here. Yeah, the owners want a cost guarantee of even more profits.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Firm makes bid to buy all 30 NHL teams for 3.5 Billion

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

Parity isn't necessarily a good thing. Sometimes it's better when there's a top dog that others have to shoot for. You use MLB as an example. For the past 4 years people have said that the Yankees are a shoo-in to win the World Series and they didn't even need to play the season cause it's so unfair.
    The question is.. would baseball generate more money across all its teams if there was more parity? I don't know the answer. If the Yanks got knocked down a little bit, would they lose that much attendence/TV money? Would corresponding gains in revenue in Cincy, Milwaukee, etc make up for it?

If one entity owns all the teams, they'd try to optimize total revenue from all teams. But perhaps you are right.. maybe they'd get more money with 8 superteams and 22 whipping boys. I really don't know.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?