Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I never trusted those furry little freaks...

I never trusted those furry little freaks...

Chimps Maul Visitor at Calif. Sanctuary

Fri Mar 4,10:03 AM ET U.S. National - AP

By KIM CURTIS, Associated Press Writer

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A couple's plans for a birthday party for their former pet chimpanzee turned tragic when two other chimps at an animal sanctuary escaped from their cage and attacked. The man was critically injured with massive wounds to his face, body and limbs, and the attacking animals were shot dead.

St. James and LaDonna Davis were at the Animal Haven Ranch in Caliente to celebrate the birthday of Moe, a 39-year-old chimpanzee who was taken from their suburban Los Angeles home in 1999 after biting off part of a woman's finger.

Moe was not involved in Thursday's attack, said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game.

The couple had brought Moe a cake and were standing outside his cage when Buddy and Ollie, two of four chimpanzees in the adjoining cage, attacked St. James Davis, Martarano said. Officials have not determined how the chimps got out of their enclosure, he said.

LaDonna Davis, 64, suffered a bite wound to the hand while trying to help her 62-year-old husband, Martarano said.

The son-in-law of the sanctuary's owner killed the attacking animals, Martarano said.

"He saw what was happening and had one kind of weapon with him and then got another he felt would be more substantial and shot them," Martarano said. "He pretty much saved a life."

St. James Davis had severe facial injuries and would require extensive surgery in an attempt to reattach his nose, Dr. Maureen Martin of Kern Medical Center told KGET-TV of Bakersfield. His testicles and a foot also were severed , Kern County Sheriff's Cmdr. Hal Chealander told The Bakersfield Californian.

Davis was transported to Loma Linda University Medical Center, where he was undergoing surgery late Thursday, Martarano said.

Buddy, a 16-year-old male chimp, initiated the attack and after he was shot, Ollie, a 13-year-old male, grabbed the gravely injured man and dragged him down the road, authorities said.

"Everybody was trying to get the chimp off," Chealander said.

Two other chimps, females named Susie and Bones, also escaped from the cage they shared with Ollie and Buddy, prompting sheriff's deputies, animal control workers, and Fish and Game officials to launch a search.

The wayward pair were recovered by Animal Haven owner Virginia Brauer after five hours. Martarano said one chimp was two miles from the sanctuary, located 25 miles southeast of Bakersfield.

The Davises had waged an unsuccessful legal fight to bring Moe back to their West Covina home and visited him regularly at the sanctuary where he had been living since October. They brought the chimp from Africa decades ago after a poacher killed his mother.

Animal Haven Ranch has held state permits to shelter animals since 1985 and serves as a sanctuary for animals that have been confiscated or discovered lost, Martarano said.

It is allowed to house up to nine primates at one time and is home to one spider monkey and six chimpanzees, he said. The permits are held by Virginia and Ralph Brauer, whom neighbors described as responsible animal lovers.

"She's devoted her whole life to taking care of these chimpanzees," said Jeanne Miller, a family friend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I never trusted those furry little freaks...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie

St. James Davis had severe facial injuries and would require extensive surgery in an attempt to reattach his nose, Dr. Maureen Martin of Kern Medical Center told KGET-TV of Bakersfield. His testicles and a foot also were severed , Kern County Sheriff's Cmdr. Hal Chealander told The Bakersfield Californian.
    :deadhorse
    Thanks alot for desturbing story. My newfound fear of monkeys won't allow me to sleep for dayS!

Chimps have an estimated strength 7 times that of a grown man. A group of them can rip apart an animal in minutes. A highly social animal confined chimps tend to run a little towards the high strung side.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    :deadhorse
    Thanks alot for desturbing story. My newfound fear of monkeys won't allow me to sleep for dayS!
    I can't keep from thinking about the evil monkey that lives in Chris Griffin's closet.....

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yep......that's him, alright. Testicle thief!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    *hides in fear*

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Yep......that's him, alright. Testicle thief!

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Apes don't have tails, monkeys do.

Chimps are apes.

Non-human primates of any variety are NOT PETS!!!! Owning them is a bad idea on for many reasons. One of the few types of animals that I would like to see a complete ban on the general public owning.

I guess I'm gonna have to find something else to do with my chimp fund.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Don't chimps also fling stuff at unsuspecting people? I'm not talking about food either.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Don't chimps also fling stuff at unsuspecting people? I'm not talking about food either.
    banana peals? unread sports sections? old shoes? curling irons? ball-point pens? remote controls? AA batteries? water bottles? used Kleenex? those little cotton balls you find at the top of aspirin bottles? disease infested feces? 1989 Tim Belcher Upper Deck baseball cards? wine bottles? cigar tips? duct tape balls? to the wrong cut-off man? give us a clue, man!

(note: the above was not to be taken completely serious)

Oh yeah! A funny story here....

This happened over 30 years ago, but I remember it plain as day. We were camping at a resort in southern KY (Bowling Green). It is a huge campground with an amusement park, and also a zoo. They had this very old chimp named Sam. They had a tray running into the cage where people could buy peanuts and slide them into the animals.

Well, this good ol boy, along with his friends, and who were drinking, decided to see if the chimp liked good ol Tennessee sipping whiskey. So they started pouring some down the tray. Sure enough, the chimp walked over, picked up the end of the tray as the guy poured whiskey down it. The chimp drank it down. Then he started acting crazy. A crowd started to gather around the cage to see this chimp going nuts. The guy and his buddies were laughing. Just when there was a huge crowd gathered around, this chimp ran over, and like a center getting ready to hike a football, scooped and sprayed a huge pile of chimp dung out onto the crowd.

My brother and I stood back a ways because we had seen this particular chimp do this before. That guy and his buddies (including GF) got splattered.

The chimp had the last laugh! :allovrjr:

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Don't chimps also fling stuff at unsuspecting people?
    Well, geez. Don't we all?
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?