Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting the local gym about membership

Fighting the local gym about membership

This is the second time I've had to engage in a battle with a gym. Two years ago I wrote (as requested) to a gym notifying them that I had moved out of state. This breaks the contract which you can do when you move more than 20 miles away...

But the gym said that the letter arrived too late in the month. They then said that I didn't just owe the $25 for that month, but the whole $500 remaining in the term of the contract. Not surprisingly, this gym went out of business last year. But they did report me to a collections agency and I now have this in my credit report. I contacted the collections agency which wanted to settle the debt for $375. I said no still angry at the whole situation. I do have the paperwork showing the notification that I had moved out of state. Do I now present my case to the credit bureaus? Who sits as judge in such matters? Anyone have a similar experience with a gym? How did you fight it and were you successful?

And another thing...learn from my mistake...NEVER EVER EVER give your social security number to a gym!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Fighting the local gym about membership

Sounds like you need a lawyer to unravel the language in the contract and determine if you have an out.
    /r/reds

This is why I never joined a gym. I looked into it a couple of years ago and learned very quickly that they are like the gestapo when it comes to trying to quit. It was enough to keep me from joinging at all. I joined the YMCA instead and it had everything I needed.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Good call MWM. I am truly amazed at the tactics these gyms employ. When you visit one you get a sales pitch from a used car salesman. It's really an ugly experience. In fact, I think its a great business opportunity to come in and manage one correctly- based on good customer service and without the push for long-term contracts.

My case doesn't warrant a lawyer. The dollar amount just isn't significant enough.

Some gyms don't allow to quit even if you move. They are affiliated with several other gyms in most cities in the country and moving just means that your membership transfers to one of these affiliated gyms. It's a nice little racket they got going.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

If it is a collection agency they might just give up if they don't think you will pay. They often buy these debts for so many cents on the dollar.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Is your gym operated by AOL? :dflynn:

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    This is why I never joined a gym. I looked into it a couple of years ago and learned very quickly that they are like the gestapo when it comes to trying to quit. It was enough to keep me from joinging at all. I joined the YMCA instead and it had everything I needed.
    Word of mouth can help filter the evildoers out. They're not all that bad. But in your case, I imagine as a Michigan student you could probably get a good rate at good athletic facilities. If they're convenient and not crawling with undergrads.
    Stick to your guns.

Retired

Many colleges have gyms on campus that students can use for free.

Hmmm...we must be more fortunate around here than I realized. Our three or four local gyms (small town) all let you pay by the month, with no contracts whatsoever.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Here, I use Michigan's facilities. They aren't far from my building and they're free. I'm talking about 4 years ago when I talked to a few gyms, including Moore's Nautalis. Like Phoenix said, they're like used car salesman. When I mentioned that I don't prefer to sign my name to things I have no option of getting out of, they gave me the guilt trip about being committed to working out, blah, blah, blah.........

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Hmmm...we must be more fortunate around here than I realized. Our three or four local gyms (small town) all let you pay by the month, with no contracts whatsoever.
    I (rather stupidly) called a Gold's Gym a few months ago. It hadn't even opened yet, brand new facility with an indoor pool. I wanted to see if I could get a month's membership, or maybe a 3-month membership, to see if I liked it.

The sales rep on the phone wouldn't tell me how much it would cost for one month, because "no one EVER signs up just for one month." I asked if it was even possible to join for one month, and she said "Well yes, it's possible, but it's pointless." She wouldn't give me rates for a 3-month membership either. She kept saying "Why don't you come in and we can discuss it." I kept saying "Why don't you tell me how much it is, so I know if I can afford it, and if I can then I'll come discuss it."

I never went to see the place.

Ours are all locally-owned mom and pop operations, so they run things in a small-town way and answer only to thier customers. I have only been to two of them, and one of those two can compete with Golds and any of the other big boys in terms of selection of machines, etc. Memberships are only $22/month there, as well.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

There's a gym in my building, and that's the one I belong to. It's month to month, but if I quit in less than a year, I have to pay the $50 initiation fee that was waived when I joined. That's all.

The "best deal" on gym's around here require annual memberships ... you pay for the whole year in advance. It's only $250 for the year. Don't think they have a pool, though. Probably just weights and classes. (no convenient locations for me, so I've not checked them out too thoroughly.)

I had not trouble getting out of my membership with MVAC in Tucson. It was month-to-month too. (not a chain)

Rosie, I think all gyms are reluctant to give you their rates, too. Just like I can't find cable rates online.
    Last edited by SandyD; 03-06-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Phoenix,

If you only have a couple bad things like this on your credit report, I wouldn't worry about it. Just ignore the collection agency. Don't call them to explain your situation or anything (that just lengthens the process). They will give up eventually.

I had some blood tests on my son done. I only wanted one test, the company did the whole suite of tests (despite me checking on the form that I only wanted 1 test, and including the payment for one test). They hassled me for about a year for the $800 balance, but they eventually went away, and it never hurt my ability to get a car/house loan or whatever.

If your credit is pretty good, don't worry about it. You know you are in the right, your conscious is clear. BTW, I doubt there's anything a lawyer could do, even if you were willing to pay for one. It's a problem with the system that anyone can pretty much arbitrarily turn you over to a collection agency, and there's no way to tell your side of the story. Again, do not have any correspondence with the collection agency, do not mail back anything they send you (they will try to send you a form with fine print saying you agree to pay this debt, ec). Just ignore them, and don't lose any more sleep over this.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?