Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio To Execute Cincinnati Killer Today

Re: Ohio To Execute Cincinnati Killer Today

Quote Originally Posted by DunnersGrl44
    Dont mean to cause a problem, or to be difficult, but i say... Kill em all.
    If you kill... you shall be killed.
    In my gut I kind of feel like this...emotionally...but intellectually there have been too many death row convictions found to be in error due to new DNA technology. Its kinda hard to look at someone wrongly executed and apologize. Look at this case near where I live. If this guy had gotten the death sentence it would be big big news.

Wednesday March 9, 2005
    The online edition of the Tribune-Star, Terre Haute, Indiana Updated:Mar 09, 2005 - 09:05:26 CST

Illinois officer says politics intruded on 1986 Paris murder investigation

News

Illinois officer says politics intruded on 1986 Paris murder investigation

Freed: Patty Steidl looks at her husband Randy as an impromptu news conference begins outside the Danville Correctional Facility last May. Steidl was released from prison in May after being convicted in 1987 of two Paris murders. (Tribune-Star/file photo)

Randy Steidl convicted of killings in 1987, freed in May

Associated Press/Chicago

An Illinois State Police lieutenant has alleged he was forced to stop investigating the possible involvement of a businessman in the double murders of an east-central Illinois couple more than 18 years ago because the businessman made large political donations.

Lt. Michale Callahan alleged state police stopped his investigation into the businessman because they were afraid of political reprisals, according to a sworn federal affidavit Callahan filed last week in his lawsuit against state police.

Callahan does not allege wrongdoing by former Gov. George Ryan, whose campaign received the businessman's donations.

One of the two men convicted of killing Paris residents Karen Rhoads and her husband, Dyke, in a stabbing rampage in their home in July 1986, has been freed from prison and another is seeking a new trial.

In April 2000, Callahan began re-examining the case at the request of his bosses. He quickly determined that the two men probably were not guilty and issued a memo naming the businessman as a "person of interest."

A month later, Callahan alleged his superiors stopped the investigation when they discovered the businessman and his family members had donated to Ryan's campaign, according to the affidavit.

Callahan attempted to investigate the businessman again in January 2001 but was told the case was "too politically sensitive," the affidavit said.

The police lieutenant also alleged he was demoted because he tried to move the investigation forward.

Court record: Attorneys for Herb Whitlock, who was convicted in 1987 of a double homicide in Paris, Ill., have said tainted evidence and testimony that has since been recanted led to his conviction. (Tribune-Star file photo)
    Illinois State Police Lt. Lincoln Hampton referred all questions to Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan's office, which is representing the police officers named in Callahan's lawsuit. Madigan spokeswoman Melissa Merz declined comment.

Callahan's attorney, John A. Baker, said the three officers have denied the allegations.

The businessman denied involvement in any criminal activity, the Chicago Tribune reported in Tuesday's editions.

In 1987, separate juries convicted friends Gordon "Randy" Steidl and Herb Whitlock of the murders. Steidl was sentenced to death and Whitlock received life in prison.

Steidl's death sentence was reduced to life in prison without parole in 1999, but the conviction still stood. After unsuccessfully appealing to a state appellate court and the state Supreme Court, Steidl's attorneys took the case to a federal judge, who gave the state 120 days to retry Steidl or set him free. He was freed from prison in May after Madigan decided against appealing the judge's order.

Whitlock has requested a new trial. His attorneys have said he was convicted with tainted evidence and testimony that has since been recanted.

The appellate prosecutor's office has fought Whitlock's request and has said Steidl remains a suspect in the slayings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    It costs more to execute a prisoner than it does to keep him in prison for life.
    I don't have any numbers, and I am not going to research it, but I know 25 years ago this was the fact. All the automatic appeals are expensive, and the death row incarceration is much more cost intensive.

I live in Terre Haute Indiana. When Timothy McVeigh was executed here it was an unbelieveable circus.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    But we also have an overcrowded prison system.
    Thats because we put people in jail for things like Marijuana possession. A drug that would be legal in a second if pharmacy companies could make some money off of it. I promise you some of the legal drugs that are approved are worse for you then pot, but thats a whole nother topic.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    If you oppose "big government" then you should definitely oppose the death penalty.
    Along those lines... if you oppose the death penalty, then you should oppose abortion. Right?

One might think caring for the lowest kind of human (one who murders other humans) is more important than the health & well-being of an unborn child. That is how it could be interpreted, I would think.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by DunnersGrl44
    Dont mean to cause a problem, or to be difficult, but i say... Kill em all.
    Brings back memories of the younger days... what I remember of it! :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Along those lines... if you oppose the death penalty, then you should oppose abortion. Right?

One might think caring for the lowest kind of human (one who murders other humans) is more important than the health & well-being of an unborn child. That is how it could be interpreted, I would think.

I don't consider a fetus a human child.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I don't consider a fetus a human child.
    What is it, a dog? Rhino? It's still a living thing, it just can't tell you it doesn't want to die. :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

...and just like that, this thread takes a turn down an all-too-often travelled road...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    ...and just like that, this thread takes a turn down an all-too-often travelled road...
    Yeah, it probably shouldn't have gone the abortion route. And though I didn't take it down that path initially, I felt my position should be explained in regard to the fallacy that murder is the same thing as abortion. It isn't. And those concepts needn't be blurred.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    What is it, a dog? Rhino? It's still a living thing, it just can't tell you it doesn't want to die. :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown
    Unconscious tissue.

Or, at any rate, something that doesn't trump a conscious, living, breathing, independent, loved woman and her right to choose.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 03-09-2005 at 07:07 PM.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    If the government ever made abortion mandatory for any reason, then yeah I'd probably oppose abortion in that scenario.

But I do find Right to Lifers a lot more credible if they're also against euthanasia and the death penalty.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

But I do find Right to Lifers a lot more credible if they're also against euthanasia and the death penalty.

That would be my position.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

If the government ever made abortion mandatory for any reason, then yeah I'd probably oppose abortion in that scenario.

I can see that. My point was to Rojo though... who wanted to start the good old "if you see one thing this way, then surely you must see other things this way" argument. If only the world was that simple. If only...

Prohibit the free exercise of your body + executions = big government. It really is that simple.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

There is a big difference between stopping someone elses beating heart (abortion) and deciding when your own life ends. I'm agaisnt the death penalty and abortion, but I see no problem with someone deciding when their own life should end.

Turn Off Ads?