Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wabbit Season? No, it's Cat Season!

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Re: Wabbit Season? No, it's Cat Season!

2. Turn Off Ads?

So did the police actually perfrom a search?

I re-read the original article and I didn't see where it was mentioned.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    It's legal to own a firearm with certain restrictions (it must be registered, for one).
    It's legal to discharge a firearm with certain restrictions (in areas designated for hunting or in shooting ranges, for example).

Just because a person can legally own a gun doesn't mean they can legally fire it anywhere they please. I'm sure a lot of cities have ordinances against firing a weapon in a residential district. And if someone is injured by gunfire (as in this case), I think a police investigation, including a search of the premises, is pretty easy to justify.
    I'd say since it was investigated by "State Police" its unlikely that he lived within City limits. And back to the original discussion, it wasn't the fact that it was fired that was being cited as reason to search the premises. It was the fact that he had a loaded gun on his counter.

I may not get so much crap from those who lean leftofyouandme.
    I write:

Is a single persons definition of what normal is a good excuse to search someones home and assume that they are a criminal?
    Then later I was accused of "supporting gangs" and "firearms discharging"

And I'm the one giving people crap.

That's reality eh?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    My exact words...

The police should have done a thorough search for something illegal in dummy's house. Or is it normal to have loaded 9mm guns laying around the house and on the kitchen counter? Got to wonder about the activities of a 29-year-old man who keeps a loaded 9mm on his counter.

"Got to wonder" is a bit different than "must be gulity". Perhaps this is something we can agree on...? If he was cleaning his gun and shot himself, then I would be less suspicious. In my old rock band days, I used to know a few people who made a decent living selling drugs. I actually went into the house of a couple (after-hours parties). Both kept loaded guns at an arm's reach in their house at all times. I remember it well b/c it made me very nervous. Just speaking from experience though. I cannot speak for all dealers or all criminals though. I am sure that there are some dealers who abide by most laws and do not keep or discharge a loaded 9mm in their house. Not that it is illegal to have a loaded 9mm in your house (it isn't). But when people "wonder" about 29-year-old men who keep a loaded 9mm on their counter, do not blame those people for "wondering". It tends to be a normal thought for most non-9mm-on-their-counter-types. Just saying...
    The problem with your logic is that if the cops searched the guy's house just because he owned a 9mm, even if they found a ton of drugs, illegal weapons, and a white slavery ring, the charges would get dropped so fast it'd make your head spin. No DA is going to prosecute something like that because it would be thrown out of court because there was no probable cause to search the house. Owning a 9mm is not probable cause any more than owning a switchblade is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

he had a switchblade too?

I change my stance. PROSECUTE.

The emotional side of me thinks that simply owning a gun should be probable cause (guns only have one real purpose in these post-hunter/gatherer days, blah di blah). The side that understands that privacy trumps this emotional belief is the one I trust, however.

But when genius stands on his front porch at 3 a.m. shooting at cans, though, all bets are off. Call in the sheriff.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Wow! This one took a left turn.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The problem with your logic is that if the cops searched the guy's house just because he owned a 9mm, even if they found a ton of drugs, illegal weapons, and a white slavery ring, the charges would get dropped so fast it'd make your head spin. No DA is going to prosecute something like that because it would be thrown out of court because there was no probable cause to search the house. Owning a 9mm is not probable cause any more than owning a switchblade is.
    Great points, Chip. I can understand that. I wish others can answer like this instead of.... well sort of burning a cross in my internet frontyard. But I am to blame... b/c of my beliefs that I have expressed in the past. Not that those beliefs are wrong or illegal. But b/c others do not agree with them and they seem to look to pick at me b/c I am not afraid to express my beliefs. Oh well. Sticks and picks do not hurt me! They can ban me, but they can't hurt me. Just don't shoot me (pun intended!).

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Wow! This one took a left turn.
    My bad, TC. I had the nerve to question why a 29-year-old keeps a loaded 9mm on his kitchen counter. I think I best drop out of this one b/c now I seem to be calling people gang members. Ouch!

Peace to all!

My new kitty cats name is Dunner. Not that that has anything to do with this thread.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

but does it wink?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    but does it wink?
    Not sure, but I know it's never hit a sac fly.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Great points, Chip. I can understand that. I wish others can answer like this instead of.... well sort of burning a cross in my internet frontyard. But I am to blame... b/c of my beliefs that I have expressed in the past. Not that those beliefs are wrong or illegal. But b/c others do not agree with them and they seem to look to pick at me b/c I am not afraid to express my beliefs. Oh well. Sticks and picks do not hurt me! They can ban me, but they can't hurt me. Just don't shoot me (pun intended!).
    I think you are confusing your own ad hominem attacks with the rational refutal of your points that is occuring. I have seen several people contest the point you are trying to make only to have you follow that up with veiled attacks at the person making the assertion. Its a common fallacy that you seem to try to spin and put on others with your martyr-type comments.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    My new kitty cats name is Dunner. Not that that has anything to do with this thread.

Does it own a gun?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?