Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pit Bulls attack and kill grandmother

Re: Pit Bulls attack and kill grandmother

Don't take my Neurotoxins away, FCB!

My grandfather used to point out quite often that he and every kid on his block in lower price hill had pit bulls. They were the american dog...and wasn't that one on the Little Rascals?

He knew pit bulls better than I and he would have been the first to admit that they can be killers. But he always said that you can make a chihuahua vicious just the same, but that it would only able to mawl your shins. A pit bull, on the other hand, has all the tools to kill and could be made into a dangerous dog. At the same time, he said that it was very rare for a family owned pit bull to turn vicious, that in those days it was clear that some people bred the dogs for fighting (and thus fed them black powder...), but that the rest of the folks for the most part did not.

Rottweilers were all the rage in the West End when I was working there and I had heard reports from the neighborhood that there were several dangerous ones in nearby. However, that particular breed had always been familiar to me for its docile, good natured temperment. A vicious Rottweiler? It was hard for me to believe, but it was very true.
    And then there is the fact that Retrievers, through bad breeding practice and unscrupulous dog farming have begun to show signs of neurosis, biting, and general anxiety. The legitimate breeding community is very concerned for the well being of Retrievers, as I remember finding out when I first got a Lab pup.

But, should we ban breeds because they can be killers? I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, I fear that there are other breeds waiting to become the next "killer dogs" and that those who want vicious dogs will find them or create them on their own. So, while banning Pit Bulls may solve an immediate problem, what will we do when someone successfully gets a Chihuahua together with a Bull Mastiff and creates a supersized, angrier than a hill of fire ants "Mastihuahua"?

I hope that dog is not in my neighborhood...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Don't take my Neurotoxins away, FCB!

My grandfather used to point out quite often that he and every kid on his block in lower price hill had pit bulls. They were the american dog...and wasn't that one on the Little Rascals?

He knew pit bulls better than I and he would have been the first to admit that they can be killers. But he always said that you can make a chihuahua vicious just the same, but that it would only able to mawl your shins. A pit bull, on the other hand, has all the tools to kill and could be made into a dangerous dog. At the same time, he said that it was very rare for a family owned pit bull to turn vicious, that in those days it was clear that some people bred the dogs for fighting (and thus fed them black powder...), but that the rest of the folks for the most part did not.

Rottweilers were all the rage in the West End when I was working there and I had heard reports from the neighborhood that there were several dangerous ones in nearby. However, that particular breed had always been familiar to me for its docile, good natured temperment. A vicious Rottweiler? It was hard for me to believe, but it was very true.
    And then there is the fact that Retrievers, through bad breeding practice and unscrupulous dog farming have begun to show signs of neurosis, biting, and general anxiety. The legitimate breeding community is very concerned for the well being of Retrievers, as I remember finding out when I first got a Lab pup.

But, should we ban breeds because they can be killers? I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, I fear that there are other breeds waiting to become the next "killer dogs" and that those who want vicious dogs will find them or create them on their own. So, while banning Pit Bulls may solve an immediate problem, what will we do when someone successfully gets a Chihuahua together with a Bull Mastiff and creates a supersized, angrier than a hill of fire ants "Mastihuahua"?

I hope that dog is not in my neighborhood...

Good points. But by most definitions, next to anything can be turned into a deadly weapon. We're talking about likelihoods when we talk about law enforcement. Throwing one's hands up and saying--"people like violent vicious things and will do anything to obtain them" only points to the enormous sociological and psychological aberrations in our society and acts paralyzed in the face of them. I can't get to the root of all of society's ills, but I can curb the "likelihood" of overbreeding huge strong animals by keeping a close eye on breeding practices in this country, and genuinely enforcing felony charges for people who breed these dogs for dogfighting.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Good points. But by most definitions, next to anything can be turned into a deadly weapon.
    But at least I can take nail clippers on airplanes again. My cuticles were suffering.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Cruisin' for trouble

The trial is over. The person responsible for the pit bulls, Deanna Large, was convicted of two counts of letting her dogs run free and one count of involuntary manslaughter. The jury was out for 7+ hours and asked several questions before reaching the verdict. In Virginia, the jury recommends sentencing, but the judge determines the final sentence. The jury recommendation was 3 years in prison.

During the sentencing phase, the family learned for the first time that, AFTER Large had been charged with involuntary manslaughter and her dogs removed, she took responsibility for yet another pit bull. How did the state find out? Well, she let THIS pit bull run free as well and several neighbors lodged complaints. Unreal.

The prosecution also revealed that marijuana and drug periphenailia had been found in ALL rooms of the house. Yes, that includes the rooms that the four children slept.

Large was remanded into custody to immediately begin serving time.

Although the family is satisfied with the verdict we are well aware of two things:

1- No sentence will ever bring back "Maw".

2- Even though the Large family will be without their mother for a time, after she serves her sentence, they will get her back. Maw isn't coming back.

We also learned that Large was convicted of two previous felonies. One for hit-and-run seven years ago and the other for aggravated sexual battery of a minor of 13 years.
    Last edited by GoReds; 12-22-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Yikes! Sounds like a perfect neighbor!

Honestly, as abhorent as this situation is, I'm a bit surprised that the jury actually convicted her. I didn't expect a jury to have the balls to bridge the gap of the idea that a dog can be a 'weapon'.

I don't know anything about Virginia law but I'm assuming that the jury didn't know about the drugs and prior felonies. If they had I'd guess that the recommendation might have been more than three years.

I know that it won't bring Maw back but maybe this will send enough of a message that it will prevent it happening to someone else.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I can't get to the root of all of society's ills, but I can curb the "likelihood" of overbreeding huge strong animals by keeping a close eye on breeding practices in this country, and genuinely enforcing felony charges for people who breed these dogs for dogfighting.
    Many of the dogs that we are talking about, are not actually being cared for. The breeders you speak of are not kennels with well documented blood lines. These are people who do not spay or neuter their animals, or even get them licenses or basic shots. So you have people that have no business owning adult dogs, owning pups, and then selling or giving the pups to other people who have no business owning them.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Supreme Jar Opener

This topic caught my eye. I'm a bit passionate when it comes to this. The reason is... I had a dog. His name was Mo. (Truthfully the mere mention of his name wets my eyes, to this day) So he was NOT a pit bull. But an ignorant neighbor was convinced that he was. He called the police. The police looked at Mo's papers and went on their way. The neighbor was not satisfied by that, and took the law into his own hands. A few weeks later, he broke into our kennel, and fed my dog hamburger laced with broken glass. He died a horrible death. HORRIBLE really is not a word worthy, but there really isn't one. Particularly to the 14 year old girl who found her best friend in the world, in said condition, the morning after.

Now. I've owned MANY dogs. In fact, I have owned 2 1/2 pit bulls (one was a boxer-pit mix). They are NOT the viscious animals that the media depicts them as. The reason that they are used in dog fighting, is not that they are genetically predisposed to violence, it's because of their muscular structure and trainability. They are STRONG (and honestly a little scary looking) and easily trained, nothing more.

And I'll leave you with a fact... German Shepards bite more humans than ANY other breed. Yes, in fact, there have been more deaths caused by German Shepards, alone, than all other breeds combined.

Turn Off Ads?