Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio To Execute Cincinnati Killer Today

For a Level Playing Field

Ohio To Execute Cincinnati Killer Today

Justice is being served in Ohio this morning (hopefully). The killer-rapist-thief's lawyers have caused a slight delay by claiming the killer-rapist-thief has a brain abnormality. Seems hard to believe that the killer-rapist-thief had an abnormality when he had the presence of mind to rip off TVs and a stereo after stabbing & then raping (while she bled to death) the victim. When you see the clock hit 10:00 this morning, feel safer as one less murderer-rapist-thief is one less worry for law-abiding citizens like yourselves. Justice served.

U.S. Supreme Court Declines To Delay Execution of Ohio Prisoner

CINCINNATI - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday night rejected a request that it delay the execution of an Ohio prisoner who claims he has a brain abnormality that may have affected his behavior in 1987 when he raped and murdered a woman.

William H. Smith, 47, is to receive a lethal injection at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility for the 1987 rape, robbery and murder of Mary Bradford at her Cincinnati apartment.

Justice John Paul Stevens, who handles appeals from Ohio, referred the matter to the full court, and the court denied the request to hear Smith's appeal without issuing further comment, officials with the Supreme Court said Monday night.

Smith's lawyer, Jennifer Kinsley, said Monday night her client is out of appeals and no further actions were planned on his behalf.

"We're done with our appeals," she said.

Smith, 47, claims the abnormality detected during a brain scan after he fainted in prison may have affected his behavior when he stabbed Bradford, raped her as she lay dying and then made three trips to his car to steal her stereo and two television sets. The defense is not challenging Smith's conviction but says the abnormality could have spared him from the death sentence at trial.

Smith's attorneys had argued that an independent analysis of tests done on his brain needed to be done.

Thirteen judges from the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed Monday with a three-judge panel that lifted a stay of execution, saying that two brain tests did not prove Smith has an abnormality.

On Monday, Gov. Bob Taft rejected a request to commute Smith's sentence to life in prison without possibility of parole, citing a lack of evidence to support his brain abnormality claim.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio To Execute Cincinnati Killer Today

You'll have to forgive me if I don't celebrate the death of another human being, no matter how depraved.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

The death penalty is one of the issues I've had the hardest time deciding where I stand. If there's anyone on this board that hasn't seen the movie "Dead Man Walking", then by all means rush out and rent it soon. I found myself on both sides of the fence as I watched that movie, and Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon turned in excellent performances. It's two hours very well spent.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    You'll have to forgive me if I don't celebrate the death of another human being, no matter how depraved.
    True, dancing on a grave should not be one of joy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

When you see the clock hit 10:00 this morning, feel safer as one less murderer-rapist-thief is one less worry for law-abiding citizens like yourselves.
    Since he was already in custody, I'm not sure how much "safer" we are.

The killer-rapist-thief's lawyers have caused a slight delay by claiming the killer-rapist-thief has a brain abnormality.
    Well, he did have an "abnormality" of some sort, or else he wouldn't have chosen to commit a crime. But that's not an excuse. I have no problem with punishing him for that, and I don't have a problem with him being executed, although I would rather have seen him forced to turn a crank and generate electricity 40 hours a week for the next 60 years.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The death penalty is something, like Macro, has me tied up in knots.

There is a part of me that wants people who commit heinous crimes to die. And I'm not talking about lethal injection, I'm talking about slow electrocution while someone stabs them in the eye with a pitchfork kind of death. I feel better with the thought that if someone kills another human, their life can be taken from them. An eye for an eye.

But I don't buy the deterrence argument anymore. The main reason I don't, is that it is bunk. The Death penalty doesn't deter because people who commit first degree murder don't believe they will get caught. It's as simple as that.

So if it's not working as a deterrent, why do we have it?

Not a simple issue, that is for sure.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Well, he did have an "abnormality" of some sort, or else he wouldn't have chosen to commit a crime. But that's not an excuse. I have no problem with punishing him for that, and I don't have a problem with him being executed, although I would rather have seen him forced to turn a crank and generate electricity 40 hours a week for the next 60 years.
    Well said. There is no joy over this. I wish there had never been a murder back in 1987 (or rape or theft). However, the laws of this land allow for the death penalty if convicted of certain crimes by a jury of your peers. That happened here. Justce served... and followed. I too am glad that everything was checked to insure that justice was served. Everything was checked (it has been 17-18 years since the crime) and justice was served.

This is not enjoyable. The same as I do not paint abortion-rights proponents as being happy everytime an abortion is performed. Ah... but I shall not digress.

If you kill a human, then you may be killed by the state. I hope someone learned that lesson today.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Good point, Johnny. I am personally against the death penalty, though I have no problem with his being executed, as he knew the rules going into his crime.

I just get uncomfortable when people celebrate at this sort of thing, particularly those who claim to be religious. It would be hard for me to imagine Jesus giving people high fives over an execution, especially when this is a forgivable sin if the Bible is to be believed.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons"

Dostoyevsky
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

This is why I dont understand death penalty supporters, how is this justice? That man rapes and stabs a lady to death. A slow and I'm sure extremely painful death and this guy gets to go out with a needle to his arm. Its a joke. Like someone else said the thought of him working 40 hours a week for the next 60 years would have been much more justice.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    This is why I dont understand death penalty supporters, how is this justice? That man rapes and stabs a lady to death. A slow and I'm sure extremely painful death and this guy gets to go out with a needle to his arm. Its a joke. Like someone else said the thought of him working 40 hours a week for the next 60 years would have been much more justice.
    I work 50-60 hours a week, and will for 30 years, and I didn't do anything to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I work 50-60 hours a week, and will for 30 years, and I didn't do anything to break the law.
    GAC, that haircut of yours is illegal in three states.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Since he was already in custody, I'm not sure how much "safer" we are.
    Safer really isn't the right term. A question to you or anyone is why should I pay to feed and shelter a man that would likely kill again if let loose? In what way is it productive to allow this animal to live?

Some will dance for joy now that he's gone. Likely those that don't understand what has happened to both killer and victim. Also members of the victim's family. they certainly have the right.

I'd say once he committed those acts, and was found guilty, he lost his right to my tax dollars.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

A question to you or anyone is why should I pay to feed and shelter a man that would likely kill again if let loose? In what way is it productive to allow this animal to live?
    It costs more to execute a prisoner than it does to keep him in prison for life.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?