Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes pose threat to outdoor pets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coyotes pose threat to outdoor pets

Coyotes pose threat to outdoor pets

Springfield resident Kathy Donovan charged into her back yard Wednesday morning to rescue her two dogs from menacing coyotes.

Donovan lives in the Kingsgate Commons development in northern Springfield. She knew coyotes lived in the brush and wooded area behind her home.

She was getting ready for work about 8:15 a.m. when she heard the warning.

“I heard Rudy bark, and it just wasn’t his normal ‘play bark,’” she said.

Donovan looked out the window and saw a coyote sitting inside her fenced back yard, watching her cattle dogs Rudy and Sadie. It was as large as an Irish setter.

“I absolutely freaked,” she said.

She ran into her back yard, grabbed Sadie and dragged her inside. The coyote did not seem intimidated by her, she said. It jumped outside the waist-high fence and began racing along its length while Rudy did the same inside the yard.

When Donovan returned for Rudy, she realized there was not one coyote outside the fence, but seven.Since 1998 the Clark County Humane Society has received a growing number of coyote-related calls, said the society’s Executive Director Ed Sisler.

The coyote sightings started in New Carlisle, then moved to South Charleston and then to South Vienna.

Two years ago the society started receiving calls from north Springfield.

The coyotes’ food supply has dwindled as their population increased, forcing them to look for food in more developed areas, Sisler said.

“Guess what he’s looking for?” Sisler said. “Cat. That’s dinner.”

Coyotes are omnivores and will eat carrion, fruits and vegetables, and small mammals.

The Humane Society sent three officers to Donovan’s house Wednesday morning, but they did not find the coyotes.

Sisler said they probably remained in the area.

Handling coyotes usually falls to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Division.

The Humane Society doesn’t want to infringe on the wildlife division’s territory, but it also needs to protect Springfield residents when coyotes pose a threat in residential areas, Sisler said.

No one from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources could be reached for comment Wednesday.

Ohio law allows coyotes to be shot when they attack livestock but says nothing about shooting when pets are attacked, Sisler said.

Pet owners can take several precautions to keep their animals safe, like keeping their pets on leashes. Coyotes fear humans more than the reverse, Sisler said.

Homeowners can also erect 6-foot high privacy fences or buy a Barker Breaker, a device that emits loud noises that can scare coyotes.

Donovan said she will no longer keep her dogs in the back yard at night.

“I know they’re out there, but I wasn’t expecting them to be in my back yard,” she said. “It scared me.”

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...35301503786741

Coyote Behavior
    One of the most adaptable animals in the world, the coyote can change its breeding habits, diet and social dynamics to survive in a wide variety of habitats.

Alone, in pairs or in packs, coyotes maintain their territories by marking them with urine. They also use calls to defend this territory, as well as for strengthening social bonds and general communication. Coyotes can easily leap an 8 foot fence or wall. They have been spotted climbing over a 14 foot cyclone fence.

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

Re: Coyotes pose threat to outdoor pets

A twelve gauge shotgun has its uses.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron

Coyotes are most definately afraid of people.

We have lost 2 calves to coyotes back home on the farm (Taylor County WV). I killed one a few years back, and other family members have killed 7 since then.

Which brings me to my opinion on coyotes; the only good one is a dead one.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Yes, but knowing the area that SF is talking about, that is within city limits. I don't think that is permissible.

People don't realize that coyotes have become a huge problem here in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Yes, but knowing the area that SF is talking about, that is within city limits. I don't think that is permissible.

People don't realize that coyotes have become a huge problem here in Ohio.
    It was within ciy limits and they get all excited about discharging firearms in the city. I have seen plenty of deer running around near where you said that your one brother lives off Miracle Mile, so it would not suprise me if we hear of coyotes coming to that area too someday.

bomarl1969

A word from the wise (and the members of the DNR)...if you value your pets, your children, or YOURSELF, kill every single one of those mean varmits that you see. I know of people, pets, and children being attacked by coyotes.

True story, 2 years ago I was deer hunting in WV. It was early, probably around 6:00 am and daylight was just breaking. I was about to climb the tree in my tree stand when suddenly a coyote came running at me as if he was going to tear me to pieces. I put a round from my .30 cal. carbine through his head.

Also my brother-in-law says that just about everytime he is in his tree stand 3 or 4 coyotes run around the tree not intimidated at all by a human presence. They are evil, and will attack anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    A word from the wise (and the members of the DNR)...if you value your pets, your children, or YOURSELF, kill every single one of those mean varmits that you see. I know of people, pets, and children being attacked by coyotes.

True story, 2 years ago I was deer hunting in WV. It was early, probably around 6:00 am and daylight was just breaking. I was about to climb the tree in my tree stand when suddenly a coyote came running at me as if he was going to tear me to pieces. I put a round from my .30 cal. carbine through his head.

Also my brother-in-law says that just about everytime he is in his tree stand 3 or 4 coyotes run around the tree not intimidated at all by a human presence. They are evil, and will attack anything.
    But you invaded their country with weapons of mass destruction!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    It was within ciy limits and they get all excited about discharging firearms in the city. I have seen plenty of deer running around near where you said that your one brother lives off Miracle Mile, so it would not suprise me if we hear of coyotes coming to that area too someday.
    My brother sold that house last summer and now lives in the "richy" section just north of Mercy Hospital (where all the snobs live). :allovrjr:

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My brother sold that house last summer and now lives in the "richy" section just north of Mercy Hospital (where all the snobs live). :allovrjr:
    Wow!! Incredible that bumpkins from Spfld could own homes like those isn't it, they are uniquely nice and huge.

We have a bunch of them in our woods too. I haven't seen one, but they howl and yip a lot. My neighbors see them. We stopped letting the cats out after dark.

We're not even rural.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

We also have pet issues with owls. Two people in my neighborhood lost small dogs to owls. Swooped right down and carried them off.

For a Level Playing Field

Scary stuff for pet owners. I think I need to train my little Jack Russell to use the bathroom toilet in the house.

I want to get angry at those coyotes and owls, but they are just doing what their instincts tell them to do. But I'd rather see a dead coyote/owl than a family grieving over a lost family pet. No doubt about that.

I guess it all relates to those of us who have to watch for deer when driving. The places these animals used to call home are shrinking everyday and they are trying to adapt as best they can. I guess something has to give... and I guess I have to side with the humans rather than people losing their pet or getting hurt in a deer-car accident. No simple solutions.

We are all God's creatures... but we cannot seem to all inhabit the same chunk of land.

Welcome to the California lifestyle.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?