Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes pose threat to outdoor pets

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Coyotes pose threat to outdoor pets

We have coyotes, foxes, deer and armadillos in our neighborhood. I don't live on the edge of town, but there is substantial undeveloped and wooded acreage nearby. Several neighbors have lost cats to the coyotes. They are truly brazen.

When I lived in Wisconsin, this was a problem there, too. I remember news stories about people losing their chained-up or fenced-in outdoor dogs to coyotes.

I don't get too excited about any of this, a) because I don't have pets and b) because I always figure that the coyotes were there before we were and they have some natural entitlement to anything that we are foolish enough to put in their feeding zone.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't get too excited about any of this, a) because I don't have pets and b) because I always figure that the coyotes were there before we were and they have some natural entitlement to anything that we are foolish enough to put in their feeding zone.
    I have encountered Coyotes hiking and riding numerous times, they run away always. Having lived in the west you accept them as part of the ecosystem and learn to deal. Lock down trash, bring in pets etc... My friend lived on a ranch in Sonoma county and her neighbor raised sheep. He would catch a coyote and hang its body from his fence next to his front gate as a message to the others to stay away. It was somewhat gross, yet effective.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The reverse comes into play too, many folks lose their pets (I have known a few) when they live in more remote areas. When I lived in the Bay Area a Coyote attacked a child in the foothills. at a park that I frequented.

It was a hiking park not a town park though.

6/13/96. A 3-year-old Palo Alto boy was attacked by a 2-year-old male coyote at the Windy Hills Open Space Preserve in Portola Valley, near Los Altos, CA. As the family was packing up the car after a picnic, the coyote used his teeth to grab the boy by the hand and drag him toward nearby bushes. The boy was playing with a Frisbee which was also bit by the coyote. The boy's 15-year-old brother scared away the coyote. The coyote was later trapped, and DNA testing (from the Frisbee) was attempted to make the id certain.

This was the first attack in the 25 year history of this Preserve. (Los Altos Town Crier 7/24/96)
    So then they can be genuine threat to people and domesticated animals. Perhaps to children playing in their backyards, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    So then they can be genuine threat to people and domesticated animals. Perhaps to children playing in their backyards, maybe.
    Miniscule threat, I'd be more worried about teenagers on their first drunk than a coyote.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/coyote_attacks.html

Here are some overall statistics:

* Officials with the California Department of Fish and Game estimate that roughly one person gets bitten by a coyote per year in California. The last human to be killed by a coyote was a child in the Los Angeles area around 1980. (SDUT 1/3/95, B1; 5/16/00, B3)

For comparison, over 300 people have been killed by domestic dogs in the U.S. between 1979 and the late 1990s. (Humane Society of the U.S., reported in Tracking and the Art of Seeing, Paul Rezendes, second edition, 1999, p. 194)

* From 1993 to 1997 there were seven coyote attacks on humans in Arizona, with over half in 1997. (SDUT 12/17/97, A3)

* "The best estimates assert that, in recorded history, there have been 20 to 30 coyote attacks on humans that resulted in injuries." (Tracking and the Art of Seeing, Paul Rezendes, second edition, 1999, p. 194)

One of the reasons some of these animals become a problem is people feeding them scraps.

I admit feeding the raccoons, but now we toss stuff way out onto the woods. (We used to feed them cookies right on the back deck.)
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I admit feeding the raccoons, but now we toss stuff way out onto the woods. (We used to feed them cookies right on the back deck.)
    My wife got attacked by a coon that her grandfather fed..... just like you do.

My wife got attacked by a coon that her grandfather fed..... just like you do.
    I'm sure, I totally know better.

We just left stuff out. We never fed them by hand. We don't leave it out anymore, since we have city cat and boy in the house.

We throw questionable apples, oranges into the woods ........ but only because it's fun to pretend you're pitching in a major league game from the second floor deck. I pick certain trees for strike zones.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I have encountered Coyotes hiking and riding numerous times…
    Were they wearing fanny packs and listening to iPods?

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Were they wearing fanny packs and listening to iPods?

No... but I have run into Steve Jobs at the aforementioned park that the child was attacked at. He was wearing a black turtleneck and it was 82 degrees out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    A twelve gauge shotgun has its uses.

Coyotes are most definately afraid of people.

We have lost 2 calves to coyotes back home on the farm (Taylor County WV). I killed one a few years back, and other family members have killed 7 since then.

Which brings me to my opinion on coyotes; the only good one is a dead one.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    A twelve gauge shotgun has its uses.
    Yes, but knowing the area that SF is talking about, that is within city limits. I don't think that is permissible.

People don't realize that coyotes have become a huge problem here in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    One of the reasons some of these animals become a problem is people feeding them scraps.
    Another reason is that they are losing their fear of man, the more plentiful they become. Especially when they begin to expand their territories in order to eat/survive.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Yes, but knowing the area that SF is talking about, that is within city limits. I don't think that is permissible.

People don't realize that coyotes have become a huge problem here in Ohio.
    It was within ciy limits and they get all excited about discharging firearms in the city. I have seen plenty of deer running around near where you said that your one brother lives off Miracle Mile, so it would not suprise me if we hear of coyotes coming to that area too someday.

Turn Off Ads?