Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What an embarassment, UC loses

Retired

What an embarassment, UC loses

UC loses to South Florida 80-68 in quarter finals of CUSA tourney.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What an embarassment, UC loses

Nice way to leave Conference USA.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Not a UC fan, but UC didn't need wins in the tourney, USF did...not such a bad thing
    Go Gators!

This game pretty much sums up the Huggins tenure for me. Don't get me wrong, I think he's done great things. But his teams have always been plagued by lapses.
    Just another day in my love/hate relationship with Bearcat Basketball.
    :dflynn: :dflynn: :dflynn:
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    This game pretty much sums up the Huggins tenure for me. Don't get me wrong, I think he's done great things. But his teams have always been plagued by lapses.
    Just another day in my love/hate relationship with Bearcat Basketball.
    :dflynn: :dflynn: :dflynn:
    I'm with you SunDeck. I'm starting to wonder how long he's going to last in the BigEast. I wouldn't be suprised if he's canned after next season.

Huggins' teams traditionally can't shoot worth a darn (besides Steve Logan). I couldn't believe the number of bricks they threw up last night. I can shoot better than they can and I'm 52.

Hicks and Maxiell work unbelivably hard and I admire how hard they play, but both have the touch of a bricklayer. And neither can create their own shot besides offensive rebounds.

And someday UC will have a point guard that will guide the team through rough stretches. I thought Muhammad was supposed to be it but he can't seem to break out of his shooting guard mold. That #3 on USF played a great game.

The fact that Huggins plays a walk-on guard during real play time speaks for how thin this team is. I actually think Huggins has done a good job squeezing the most of the talent he has.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I wouldn't be suprised if he's canned after next season.
    When Bob Huggins goes the program will fall apart.

What blue chip recruit is going to want to live in Clifton if there's not a name coach there?

For a Level Playing Field

Upsets happen and do so a lot in the post-season conf. tournies. I was a bit shocked to see the Bearcts go down to a 212-RPI team (or near 212).

What gets me are Coach Huggs comments on the Bob Huggins WLW show earlier in the week. Huggs was put out by an expert's opinion that UC would probably be a #6 seed in the Big Dance. He went on and on about being one of only two teams in D-I who had lost all of their games to teams that were higher than #50 in the RPI (Syracuse being the other) and how the expert was not so smart. Of course Huggs was "marketing" a high seed for his team as all coaches do. But to lose to South Fla. soon after ripping into the expert for saying they deserve a #6 seed kind of made me chuckle. They will be lucky IMO to get a #6 seed now. It is always "what have you done lately" and that loss may cause a serious dent in their seeding.

Huggins can't recruit. He needs to stop visiting the junior colleges and actually go to some high schools to talk to some real talent. Their offense is just embarrasing.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    When Bob Huggins goes the program will fall apart.

What blue chip recruit is going to want to live in Clifton if there's not a name coach there?
    Who says you wouldn't replace him with another "name" coach? When your in the Big East more coaches will be willing to take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Who says you wouldn't replace him with another "name" coach? When your in the Big East more coaches will be willing to take the job.
    What name coach would want to coach in Clifton? Its a horrid recruiting situation.

My Dad's excited for the Bearcats to join the Big East. Gives us something to needle each other about. (I'm from Syracuse.) He can't wait for the Orangemen to "play against those goons."
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    What name coach would want to coach in Clifton? Its a horrid recruiting situation.
    Give it five years, and no one will recognize it. Damn "non-profit" development organizations have bought the entire region, and have already torn down half. Maybe in five years, with the "new Georgetown" and a brand new campus/ Varsity Village, UC won't "need " Huggs anymore.

I agree, too much of a focus on strangling defense and not enough on the other half of the game for all too long leaves UC a few rounds short come tournament time. Huggs lost his opportunity to win it all when Kenyon left, I unfortunately dont see another one coming soon. I hope the Big East brings a better quality player all around, so i am wrong.

I never liked Bobby Knight much, but the one thing that I did admire was the fact that the first and second half of a game he coaches never look the same. He develops a program for defeating a team and adjusts it in the locker room. All the greats to that- except Huggs.

I like the defense, the work ethic, but for life of me I can not stand watching the Bearcats offense. It's frustrating that they can't get quality one guards.

I don't know about the rap against Clifton. Athletes all live on campus at UC. At least they did when I was there. Their situation is pretty posh- it's not like they have to live over in Coryville. Skip didn't seem to have a problem getting some pretty good point guards to live in Avondale, did he?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Give it five years, and no one will recognize it.
    The changes are impressive but there is still that little problem of Over-the-Rhine. No matter what they do, they still can't change the fact that Clifton is surrounded by urban decay in every direction.

As for the Bearcats in the Big East...there is just no way that the conference will survive. It's way to big.

Syracuse, UConn, Pittsburgh, Villanova, Georgetown, Notre Dame, DePaul, Marquette, Cincinnati, Louisville, West Virginia, Providence. No creampuffs there. I agree with John Calipari: someone is going to finish in last place every year and they're not going to like it one bit.

I'm waiting for the Big East's inevitable implosion in 5 years, then the basketball only schools plus ND could be breaking away. Possibly to join Dayton and eggs-avier? I can always hope.

Turn Off Ads?