Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AVG Anti-Virus

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: AVG Anti-Virus

I used the crap cleaner (ccleaner) off that MajorGeeks site. It cleared over 500mb of ...well,crap,off my system. It also has a registry fixer thingy which I was reluctant to run. I saved the current registry just in case (it was easy to do with the proggie). It did that with no probs and this beast is spittin' thunder and crappin' lightning like the day I bought it. I can reccomend it,but won't accept resposibilty for it if you crash...heh.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have Norton System Works on my computer. And as someone stated earlier, it's a resource killer. I'm thinking of taking it off and giving this AVG anti-virus a shot. So far I really like it on my kid's computer, and I have other programs that do the same things that Norton's System Works does (Disk Dr, etc).

What do some of you experts think? A good move or not?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-13-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I used that Micro Trend just to see what it would do. It says it found 19 viruses on my computer. It then deleted 6 of them, but said 13 were "inaccessible", meaning they were still there. It did though give the paths to the remaining 13. But when I tried to find them, using those file paths, those files didn't exist. So I updated and ran Nortons and it said my computer was clean.

Also... do those registry cleaners really work? Is there a chance they can screw up your registry? If not, then what one do you recommend?
    I don't really know how to respond to that above, 19 viruses Now did it say you had 19 files infected or 19 different viruses? I use Nortons and double check it once in awhile with Housecall, and I have never had any discrepancies between the two. Yes the registry cleaners do work, and yes you should make a backup before using one, I don't make a backup, but I have been known to be foolish too.

CCleaner cleared about 150 MB off my computer at work (which is about 6 months old) i can't wait to try it at home.

GAC here is a few tips, some of which you may already be doing.

1. Use Firefox instead of IE
    2. Use a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall)
    3. Use multiple anti-spyware programs. I recommend Ad-Aware, SpyBot, SpySubtract and Microsofts spyware remover. Definitely get Spy Subtract, as it contains CW Shredder.
    4. Get Stinger
    5. Be very wary of P2P software.
    6. Get something that will mask your computers IP, like a router. cost - $50-100.

Most of the items above are free or very cheap.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Just ran ccleaner at home.

wow.

I freed 2 GIGS of space. my computer is now running faster (noticed this after rebooting) and it doesn't bluescreen when i try to burn a cd.

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    CCleaner cleared about 150 MB off my computer at work (which is about 6 months old) i can't wait to try it at home.

GAC here is a few tips, some of which you may already be doing.

1. Use Firefox instead of IE
    2. Use a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall)
    3. Use multiple anti-spyware programs. I recommend Ad-Aware, SpyBot, SpySubtract and Microsofts spyware remover. Definitely get Spy Subtract, as it contains CW Shredder.
    4. Get Stinger
    5. Be very wary of P2P software.
    6. Get something that will mask your computers IP, like a router. cost - $50-100.

Most of the items above are free or very cheap.

1) I do use Firefox. But how/where do I go in and make this my default browser?

2) I have Zone Alarm, but I'm having trouble with it right now. I can't get it configured so that it wil let my kid's computer, which is networked with mine, communicate with my (the host) computer. So when it is on, they cannot get on the internet. So I have to keep shutting it down when they want to get on the 'net. I went to their computer and using "winipcfg" in RUN found their computer's IP Address and added it to Zone Alarm's "Trusted Zone" (which is what they tell me to do); but it still not working. So I am still trying to figure this situation out.

My kid's computer has Win98 OS, and mine has XP. We are networked via a cat5 cable between the computers, an ethernet card in each, and Neighborhood Network. No router involved. And it works fine. But somehow, Zone Alarm is interrupting the networking when activated.

3) I have all the spyware removal programs you list, plus I also have Microsoft's Beta version of spyware removal and I just got Spyware Doctor, which I like above all the rest. It stops/warns you if you are inadvertently trying to access a site that has malware/spyware. And if you say NO, it prevents the site from opening. You can try it for 30 days free before purchasing.

4) What is P2P software? My kids go onto alot of these gaming sites where they have to download these games. And they pick up alot of spyware. My oldest boy is into these emulators in order to play various video games. Do they contain alot of malware/spyware?

5) I downlaoded, and will give this Stinger a try. Thanks.

6) I also have CCleaner. I have other software that does basically the same thing too. CleanSpace8 works great; but it only works with IE and Netscape, and not Firefox.

Again.... I'm still considering removing Norton System Works from my computer due to the fact it is a HUGE resource killer, and giving this AVG anti-virus a try. Ialso like Panda AV. Alot of the peripheral stuff that comes in System Works I already have in other software (Disk Clean Up, History/Temp/Cookie cleanup, etc). Plus I can use Disk Defrag in XP.

What do you guys think? Is Norton System Works worth it? Or is it overkill.

I have HS cable internet with Charter Communications (external cable modem box at my computer). They now offer AV/Firewall protection; but I currently don't have it because I have my own. But their tech guy said that when mine expires, that I should consider going to them because it is FREE. But I can't run both at the same time on my computer. I would have to remove what I have to go to theirs. But I have apprehensions because I am wondering how secure/safe theirs is. I'm basically placing my computer into their hands.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-14-2005 at 09:15 PM.

P2P is peer to peer software also known as file sharing, Do you or your kids run programs like Kazaa or Morpheus?

I'd seach ZoneAlarm's site about networked computers.

In Firefox go to tools/options/general. Click the check if default browser button.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    P2P is peer to peer software also known as file sharing, Do you or your kids run programs like Kazaa or Morpheus?
    NO! I completely forbid it. I use to have Kazaalite; but got rid of a long time ago.

My daughter has MSN Messenger (restricts her list to school friends only). But I heard it can give you problems.

I'd seach ZoneAlarm's site about networked computers.
    Yeah, I'm still checking into that. I already got one email back from them and they told me to add their computer's IP address to my "Trusted Zone", which I already did and it still doesn't work. They also say that sometimes this will not always work, and that you have to use the actual subnet information. But here is the problem.... On their computer in Network properties and under IP Address, they "obtain an IP Address automatically", and their is no subnet entered. So I am at a standstill again.

In Firefox go to tools/options/general. Click the check if default browser button.
    Yeah, stupid me. I've been in there numerous times looking for it, and finally saw it today.... DUUH!

I got ahold of Charter this morning and talked with their tech trep about their free AV/Firewall service. It's provided by a company called FSecure

http://www.f-secure.com/

I got rid of Norton System Works this morning on my computer. Man did it vastly increase my computer speed/performance. I have AVG right now; but I'm thinking of going to Charter's free service.

GAC,

I sent you some pages on registry cleaners in email that I have used that were highly rated for you to check out and to decide for yourself with their trial downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    GAC,

I sent you some pages on registry cleaners in email that I have used that were highly rated for you to check out and to decide for yourself with their trial downloads.
    Thanks SF.

I downloaded Charter's free AV/Firewall software yesterday and encountered the same problem with their firewall not allowing my kid's computer to communicate/get on the internet via mine (the host).

I spent 2 hours this morning with one of their tech support people trying to resolve the issue. He told me that with the current networking setup that I have (a direct cat5 connection between the two computers) there is no way I can configure the kid's computer to allow the firewall on this one to permit it. He said I am going to need to install a router where an IP address can be assigned allowing that computer to communicate.

He did try one thing though, which didn't work. He tried to add a second IP Address to my account and configure it to their computer. It wouldn't work. I thanked him for trying; but I am going to have to go the router route, which won't be so bad. I have a 3rd computer in my oldest boy's room that currently is not on the internet.

If I put a wireless router on this computer, I can still mantain the network with the other computer by hooking that cat5 cable into the router, and them go wireless with that 3rd computer.

Cool let us know how the wireles router works out.

I'm not that hip on wireless routers w/ cards. What do you recommend as far as easy set-up, performance, and cost? Here is a link to one page I'm looking at....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=35

I did some checking on the company that provides Charter's AV/Firewall Security. I had never heard of them (FSecure out of Finland). They are ranked #3 in the world in Internet security software. They update every 2 hours.

I had to disable the parental control though. It wouldn't let me on Redszone. Had something to do with the sabr-traditionalist arguments. :allovrjr:
    Last edited by GAC; 03-16-2005 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I had to disable the parental control though. It wouldn't let me on Redszone. Had something to do with the sabr-traditionalist arguments. :allovrjr:
    :MandJ: :MandJ: "sabr-traditionalist arguments" Now was that the battle between the Pilgrims and the Einstein Fundamentalist? :mhcky21:

Hey! I edited my above response to ask about wireless routers w/ cards. What do you recommend?

You didn't ask me but....

I have friends who use D-Link stuff, they like it..I've always been a Linksys fan myself

Get the G..B is way slower.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?