Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AVG Anti-Virus

Re: AVG Anti-Virus

Nope, no way to play games like that over the network

On networking, if yer gonna go without security I suggest you follow these instructions for installing NetBEUI
    http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html

It's a safer way to share files, printers, ext between computers.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So basically then, those encryption settings are only to prevent a neighbor, or someone nearby, from "piggy backing" on your computer. I don't think I'll have that problem living out here in the country.

Here's another tech question for you all....

My son has a video game installed on my (host) computer. His computer won't handle it (processor not big enough), and I'm not going to go to the trouble (cost-effectiveness) of replacing the motherboard/processor on this one. Plus, I don't know how to do it.

Now that we are networked, can he connect to, via his computer, and play that game that is installed on my computer?
    Yeah, WEP or WPA-PSK are security mechnisms for your wireless router. They guard against unauthorized access to your router.

By default without security, access is free and clear to your router. Anyone with a PC and a wireless card could access your router and hop on the internet.

I once took the train from Connecticut into NYC and had my laptop booted and wireless card enabled. Using AirSnort, I counted 50-something unsecured access points. I've also sat at my daughter's soccer practice which is within a 1/4 mile of some homes. Found 3 access points. I guess they're all like me, don't want to struggle with getting stuff to work.

And like others said, no-go for games across your net.

And PC prices have gotten to where its not cost effective to replace the CPU. It's cheaper just to buy a new box.

Pay attention to the open sky

But it's a heck of a lot more fun to build a system yourself
    Go Gators!

Ok guys. I just got home from work and tried to plug the daughter's computer into the back of the router. I was able to plug the cat5 connector into the back of the router; but it wouldn't allow her on the 'net, and I'm not sure where I have to go, if anywhere, to configure her computer (and maybe the router) to allow it.

And I haven't figured out how to share my printer with the son's computer yet.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-21-2005 at 08:59 AM.

You need regular Cat 5 cable, that cable will not work, it's internally wired differently
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    You need regular Cat 5 cable, that cable will not work, it's internally wired differently
    If that is the case then I'm not gonna mess with it. :

I'm wondering if I can put Zone Alarm on her computer? Would it prevent her from then communicating with mine (host) since she is sharing my IP?

Go spend 20 bucks on cable, save the hassle!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Go spend 20 bucks on cable, save the hassle!
    It would be a HUGE hassle trying to run that new cable.

Start by turning off all firewalls, etc.

Then, ping the router from your daughters PC. The Linksys docs should tell you what the IP address is (I think its 192.168.something.1). That will tell you if you have basic connectivity.

If you can't ping it, go to Best Buy and get a network cable.

Also, I think by default the router should have DHCP enabled. Your daughters PC should have "obtain an IP address automatically" enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    It would be a HUGE hassle trying to run that new cable.
    How much do you have access to? at least 3 feet? there is a way to cut the cable open and do some rewiring to get it to work.

But..REALLY..how hard could rewiring it be?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Start by turning off all firewalls, etc.

Then, ping the router from your daughters PC. The Linksys docs should tell you what the IP address is (I think its 192.168.something.1). That will tell you if you have basic connectivity.

If you can't ping it, go to Best Buy and get a network cable.

Also, I think by default the router should have DHCP enabled. Your daughters PC should have "obtain an IP address automatically" enabled.
    All firewalls are off.

I don't have a router coming from my daughter's PC. It is a direct connect hook-up (cat5) to this computer via two ethernet cards (1 in each computer). She is using/sharing this computer's IP.

I have a wireless router coming off of this (host) computer. I then have a USB adapter on the 3rd computer (my son's) that gives him internet.

The daughter's computer is still hooked into this computer (as it has always been). No change.

I want to keep the other cat5 connection if possible because... 1) it saves me money from having to get another wireless USB connector for that computer. 2) It does provide for great speed over wireless.

How do you "ping" a computer again? I've done it before, but forget the procedure.

Start - Run - type COMMAND

Then at the C: prompt type PING then the ip address
    Go Gators!

So why can't you hook your daughter's PC directly to the router? It already has an Ethernet card. Why route through another PC? Just complicates matters.

GAC

If the cable is a crossover cable (and I bet it is) that won't work with the router, and you don't want to replace the entire thing, you can make it work...if yer up for cutting the cable open and changing a few connections in it..I've done it..it's easy, just changing 4 wires.

Easy way to see if it's a cross over cable is to look at the ends, on a steaght threw cable the ends will have all 8 wires (different colors) in the same order, on a crossover, one end will be slightly off
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    So why can't you hook your daughter's PC directly to the router? It already has an Ethernet card. Why route through another PC? Just complicates matters.
    I tried Roy. The router light comes on, which tells me it is communicating; but when I went in to try and get on the net it wouldn't.

Here is what confounds me....

When I go onto my daughter's computer and click on the Neighborhod Network icon on the desktop I get the "Entire Network" icon in there. But when I try to open it is says the network is inaccessible and unable to browse. And yet, she has internet access. I'm asuming it doesn't need the Neighborhood Network, due to her direct connection setup, in order to get on the internet.

But I can go into her properties in Neighborhood Networking, check the TCP/IP on that ethernet card, which is set up to obtain an IP automatically.

I'm wondering if I have to download the Networking setup off of this computer onto a floppy disk somehow and then load it onto her computer?

I have XP on this computer, and she has 98SE.

I'm thinking of calling Linksys' tech support for help.

All three computers are working fine as far as internet goes. But I'd like to figure her computer setup out so I can enable my firewall.

Turn Off Ads?