Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: AVG Anti-Virus

Re: AVG Anti-Virus

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Start - Run - type COMMAND

Then at the C: prompt type PING then the ip address
    When I PING her computer with this computer's IP Address it is communicating.

It pinged it four times with TTL=128

4 packets sent 4 packets received 0 lost

That's good right?

Easy way to see if it's a cross over cable is to look at the ends, on a steaght threw cable the ends will have all 8 wires (different colors) in the same order, on a crossover, one end will be slightly off
    steaght threw cable? Whatsa that? Are you saying to just unplug and look at the end connector, or do I have to cut it off to check the number of wiring?
    Last edited by GAC; 03-22-2005 at 08:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Unplug each end..see if all 8 little wires are in the same order..

Excuse my spelling straight threw
    Go Gators!

So GAC, let me see if I have this straight.

Your daughter's PC is connected to the router?

And it can go out on the internet (launch a browser and see Google)?

But your problem is with you local Microsoft network?

If the daughter PC sees the internet, then we just have a software config issue. The cabling and router are behaving as they should.

Setting up a local Microsoft domain I'm a little fuzzy. I've only done it a couple times and it was a while ago.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    So GAC, let me see if I have this straight.

Your daughter's PC is connected to the router?
    No. My daughter's PC is still connected the way it always has been - a direct connection via a cat5 cable between the two ethernet cards in each computer. XP on this, the hostcomputer, automatically recognized it and set it up. The only thing I ever did was download the driver for that ethernet card in her computer. It automatically set up the TCP/IP on her computer for the card in her's. I didn't have to touch a thing. It obtains an IP address automatically. Uses DHCP. Also "Client For Microsoft Networks" (on both hers and my computer).

When I go into Network Connections on MY Computer, it lists two LAN's (one for this computer, and one for her's).

So I didn't mess with that connection Roy.

But if I shut my computer off, she cannot get on the internet.

I went out and bought a wireless Linksys Router, which is hooked to this computer, and a USB Adapter for my son's computer. I set it up according to their instructions and it works great.

My problem arose when I unplug the cat5 connector that runs from my daughter's computer into the back of this computer, and then into the back of the Linksys router. When I do, the router light comes on the front, which I'm assuming is telling me that it is communicating. But when I go in and try to get on the internet ON HER COMPUTER it doesn't work.

I'm thinking that something on her computer is preventing it, and that it is not on this end.

A guy at work told me that I have to seet up my Neighborhood Network. Because as I stated above... When I go onto my daughter's computer and click on the Neighborhood Network icon on the desktop I get the "Entire Network" icon in there. But when I try to open it is says the network is inaccessible and unable to browse. He said that I need to downlaod the Network setting off of this computer (host) onto a floppy disk, and then downlaod it on hers to set up the network.

If that is true, that is something I haven't figured out how to do.

Also remember... and I don't think/know if this is a problem, but I have XP on this computer and 98SE on hers.

Everything the way it is now Roy works great. I just wanted to figure out a way to plug her computer through this router and the enable my firewall on my computer.

If I enable my firewall now, the way it is set up, it blocks the internet connection to her computer. I called a tech support guy from Charter Communications, who provides the AV/FW service, and he told me that I need a router in between (which I now have), and which has an IP, because there is nothing in my daughter's computer that will allow the firewall to configure since she has no IP Address of her own, but is using mine.

That is really the only reason I want to run her computer through the router.... so I can utilize the firewall on this computer (host). Plus there is also a FW inside the router also.

Krno.... I looked at the end of the cat5 connector. It has 8 wires (and they are all kinds of pretty colors! : ).
    Last edited by GAC; 03-22-2005 at 10:25 AM.

But are they all in the same order?

Only asking so much about this because...if the ends are not the same..then it's a Crossover cat 5 cable...and the router won't work with it
    Last edited by KronoRed; 03-22-2005 at 10:28 AM.
    Go Gators!

But are they all in the same order?

Only asking so much about this because...if the ends are not the same..then it's a Crossover cat 5 cable...and the router won't work with it
    By this, do you mean is the wire going directly into the connector in front of it, and none crossing over? Yes. I don't see anywhere where the wires are crossing over another in the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My problem arose when I unplug the cat5 connector that runs from my daughter's computer into the back of this computer, and then into the back of the Linksys router. When I do, the router light comes on the front, which I'm assuming is telling me that it is communicating. But when I go in and try to get on the internet ON HER COMPUTER it doesn't work.
    OK. The light on just means something is plugged in.

So, when daughter pc is hooked directly to the router, can you ping the router from daughter pc?

This is a basic tcp/ip connectivity test and has nothing to do with network neighborhood and all that.

If this doesn't work, my first thing would be to replace her network cable. Just use one you have now to see if it works before you buy a new one.

I GOT IT GUYS!

I called Linksys tech support and they had my problem corrected in about 5 minutes.

And they spoke English too! :

Here is what they had me do....

I went in on my daughter's computer and Did START -RUN "winipcfg" which gives you the IP Adress of the Intel Pro card that is on her computer. That IP is also the IP of this (host) compter.

They had me do a "release all", then a "renew all", and that somehow automatically picked/configured up the router connection.

I went in on my computer now and enabled the firewall, and everything works great!

Thanks for all your assistance guys. There won't be anything in the mail for you; but in the next life you will gain total consciousness. So you got that going for you! )

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I GOT IT GUYS!

I called Linksys tech support and they had my problem corrected in about 5 minutes.

And they spoke English too! :

Here is what they had me do....

I went in on my daughter's computer and Did START -RUN "winipcfg" which gives you the IP Adress of the Intel Pro card that is on her computer. That IP is also the IP of this (host) compter.

They had me do a "release all", then a "renew all", and that somehow automatically picked/configured up the router connection.

FYI, winipcfg is a Win 98 thing. In XP its called ipconfig.

I went in on my computer now and enabled the firewall, and everything works great!

Thanks for all your assistance guys. There won't be anything in the mail for you; but in the next life you will gain total consciousness. So you got that going for you! )
    Hooray!

The release and renew caused DHCP to flush the old IP address and get a lease on a new one. I would think that rebooting would have taken care of the problem.

Rereading this thread, I guess we never said anything about rebooting after swapping the cable. Doh!

And FYI, winipcfgis a win98 thing. In xp its called ipconfig
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 03-22-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Hooray!

The release and renew caused DHCP to flush the old IP address and get a lease on a new one. I would think that rebooting would have taken care of the problem.

Rereading this thread, I guess we never said anything about rebooting after swapping the cable. Doh!

And FYI, winipcfgis a win98 thing. In xp its called ipconfig
    You're exactly right Roy. I needed to remove the old IP Address and pick up the new one (which I am assuming is the router).

I almost was going to go out and get another UBS Adapter for her compter and get rid of the cat5 hookup; but a tech support guy said that would be stupid, and that I can make this work. Besides, the speed is faster utilizing the cat5 cable (which it is).

But I have to admit, that USB Adapter on my son's computer is pretty fast too.

Win 98???!?!?

Glad you got it working GAC
    Go Gators!

Win 98???!?!?

Glad you got it working GAC
    Yep. My daughter's computer still has WIN98SE. And the reasom it doesn't have XP (which I have a copy of the home version) is because the integrated video graphics on the motherboard will not let it install. I keep getting the "blue screen" stop error message during the XP install.

I've ran MS' XP Advisor which tells you of any conflicting hardware/software you may need to remove/update before installing XP, and it says the graphic driver is not compatible.

So I am going to disable that onboard graphics and then purchase a better plug n play video card. She needs one anyway because some of the video games she loves to play (one of them is SIMS) will not play on her computer due to inadequate graphics. So she plays them on this one (AND I WANT HER OFF! : ).

That's my next project.

I really like that AVG virus software. I have it on both of the kid's computers. It works great! Also, that Spyware Doctor software that I purchased is the best I have ever seen (and I have tried alot of them). We've had no problems with spyware at all since we got it.

Turn Off Ads?