Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNN Breaking...BRIAN NICHOLS IN CUSTODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: CNN Breaking...BRIAN NICHOLS IN CUSTODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Can you explain this "no hand cuff" law? When was it passed by the Georgia Legistration? And what does the law entail?
    From what I heard on the news, they cannot bring a prisoner into the courtroom with handcuffs because they feel it could prejudice the jury. The only problem is though (in this situation), the jury wasn't even in the room when he was being brought in.

Now, after this situation, they are looking at banning all firearms from the courtroom (including law enforcement). That is what the Fulton Co. DA suggested on TV the other night. Another dumb move IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With my experience. I think this "handcuff" law has no more to do with legistration, but with the procedures established by the State Troopers/Sheriffs Dept with the DA's guidance. I have a hard time beiliving that the correct procedures were followed here. But in any case they probably need to be revised.

With proper weapon retention techniques/trainng and having at least 2 quards at all times around the accused would be a good start. Getting rid of the firearms is not the way to go.

I also believe that the jury should not be present when the defendant enters the courtroom. The handcuffs can be removed prior to the jury coming in. If the defendant has been violent in the past, than keeping shackles on his/her legs might be a good way to go. The legs could be hidden under the desk. Also they could put some type of device that the guards can use to shock the defendant if he/she gets out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    With my experience. I think this "handcuff" law has no more to do with legistration, but with the procedures established by the State Troopers/Sheriffs Dept with the DA's guidance. I have a hard time beiliving that the correct procedures were followed here. But in any case they probably need to be revised.

With proper weapon retention techniques/trainng and having at least 2 quards at all times around the accused would be a good start. Getting rid of the firearms is not the way to go.

I also believe that the jury should not be present when the defendant enters the courtroom. The handcuffs can be removed prior to the jury coming in. If the defendant has been violent in the past, than keeping shackles on his/her legs might be a good way to go. The legs could be hidden under the desk. Also they could put some type of device that the guards can use to shock the defendant if he/she gets out of control.
    I agree wholeheartedly RBA. I know that if I was in that courtroom (a juror or whoever), and the preson they brought in was charged with a serious felon, then I'd feel alot safer knowing that the law enforcement present, who are trained in these situations, have guns just in case some nutcase decides to go bezerk. If they know that no one is armed in that room, then they may be tempted to give anything a shot.

Personally I think they should be cuffed. If they are worried it might prejudice a jury (which I doubt), then don't bring the jury in until the defendant is seated and all is secure.

Turn Off Ads?