Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remembering all those arguments made 1,500 deaths ago

Re: Remembering all those arguments made 1,500 deaths ago

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Yup, It really looks ready to fly to the United States and attack us. Well, maybe with a little help from the tooth fairy and her/his magic fairy dust.

I'm also sure while they are flying to attack us that the jets will be refueled by Iraq's fleet of KC-135 and KC-10's in flight.
    Last edited by RBA; 03-13-2005 at 07:09 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

To me Saddam was a great guy. I mean, he may have done some things, but those were in the past. I think America is the real terrorist threat. 9-11 was staged. In fact, anything that conservatives say is a total fallacy because they lack logic and any sort of elevated mental capabilities. Heck, they believe in a God. Who does that nowadays? It's the 21st century. Sheesh.

We sure kissed his butt when it was convenient for us. He was a bad guy then too. All this "spreading freedom" rhetoric is just a bunch of double speak to cover up for misguided decisions made to further personal agendas.

Queen Christine

Sometimes I wonder how people make it so far in life.
    Completely rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DunnersGrl44
    Sometimes I wonder how people make it so far in life. [rediculous.]
    Does it get any easier?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    Heck, they believe in a God. Who does that nowadays? It's the 21st century. Sheesh.

Now you're talkin'.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

In fact, anything that conservatives say is a total fallacy because they lack logic and any sort of elevated mental capabilities.
    Yeah, cuz Western Civilization has been a real stinker, what with that logic hocus-pocus hanging around. I know I'd much rather live under the caprices of a theocratic order. That would be so much better.

Do we have to start these arguments all over again? It's like watching a John Wayne movie marathon on TBS every weekend! You've seen them all, but yet somehow you just can't pass it up!

It's not like one side is gonna convince or change the mind of the other, so why argue?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Not following you FCB on why my post above is not logical... Then I write that the majority of Americans looked past a few of the more common arguments against Bush and returned him to the Presidency...
    Argumentum ad numerum

This fallacy is closely related to the argumentum ad populum. It consists of asserting that the more people who support or believe a proposition, the more likely it is that that proposition is correct. For example:
    "The vast majority of people in this country believe that capital punishment has a noticeable deterrent effect. To suggest that it doesn't in the face of so much evidence is ridiculous."

"All I'm saying is that thousands of people believe in pyramid power, so there must be something to it."
    My final thought harkins back to the adage that those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. When a dictator has proven to be a menace to the world you ought not wait for him to continually strengthen himself before taking action. I suppose the most obvious example would have been appeasing Hitler in the late 30's. My point is that you are better to take action sooner rather than later. So please pick that post a part and show how it is illogical.
    This one could have been a couple of different fallacies, but I guess this one will do well enough:

Non sequitur

A non sequitur is an argument where the conclusion is drawn from premises which aren't logically connected with it. For example:
    "Since Egyptians did so much excavation to construct the pyramids, they were well versed in paleontology."
    (Non sequiturs are an important ingredient in a lot of humor. They're still fallacies, though.)
    or, for that matter
    Red herring

This fallacy is committed when someone introduces irrelevant material to the issue being discussed, so that everyone's attention is diverted away from the points made, towards a different conclusion.
    "You may claim that the death penalty is an ineffective deterrent against crime -- but what about the victims of crime? How do you think surviving family members feel when they see the man who murdered their son kept in prison at their expense? Is it right that they should pay for their son's murderer to be fed and housed?"
    ***edited for crazy non-links showing up as links.

fallacy definitions including the examples grabbed from:http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html
    Last edited by ochre; 03-13-2005 at 10:06 PM.

To me Saddam was a great guy. I mean, he may have done some things, but those were in the past. I think America is the real terrorist threat. 9-11 was staged. In fact, anything that conservatives say is a total fallacy because they lack logic and any sort of elevated mental capabilities. Heck, they believe in a God. Who does that nowadays? It's the 21st century. Sheesh.
    I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to convey. Let's try and break it down.

To me Saddam was a great guy.
    No. he was not.

I mean, he may have done some things, but those were in the past.
    You mean the past when he was our friend or the past when he was our enemy?

I think America is the real terrorist threat.
    No, but an awesome weapon (the U.S. Military) when inappropiately and misguidedly used could be a real threat to the stability of the US and it's allies.

9-11 was staged.
    BINGO! You hit this one on the nose. Not only was it staged. It was planned and rehearsed by the Iraqi, I mean Saudi Terrorist. All the while it was being staged and rehearsed the President was given an intelligence report that stated "Bin Laden/Al Qeada determined to strike in US."

In fact, anything that conservatives say is a total fallacy because they lack logic and any sort of elevated mental capabilities.
    You sure are backing this one up. But that's a general statement and not all conservatives lack logic and some do actually have brains.

Heck, they believe in a God. Who does that nowadays?
    I could be mistaken but IMO most of the world believes in a supreme being. That would include the Taliban, Muslims, Saddam, Osama Bin Ladin, Liberals, Conversatives, the Moonies, David Koresh, Jim Jones, the Buddists. etc, etc. So, I don't see the point you are trying to make.

It's the 21st century. Sheesh
    It is? I better get to bed, it's pass my bedtime.
    Last edited by RBA; 03-13-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Amusing post from Ochre. I certainly hope you don't think you're winning an argument with that.

not even involved in one. Just pointing out the fallacies as I see them.

Amusing post from Ochre. I certainly hope you don't think you're winning an argument with that.
    If this were a basketball game, the term we'd use for it would be "facial" and your coach would have found you a cozy spot on the pine where you could hide your head under a towel.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If this were a basketball game, the term we'd use for it would be "facial" and your coach would have found you a cozy spot on the pine where you could hide your head under a towel.
    If it were a basketball game I'd have to send in a goon to break an arm.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 03-13-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Kim Jon Il says hi. Should we invade? Based on your reasoning, we haves lots and lots of invading to do.
    Nah, hes so "ronery"
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?