Turn Off Ads?

Thread: March Madness for Comedy Movies

March Madness for Comedy Movies

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7053845/

OK, some of the seedings are way off ("South Park" vs. "Friday" in Round 1), but this is still an interesting little pastime.

My Final Four were Raising Arizona, Bull Durham, Fletch, and The Jerk. Raising Arizona and The Jerk faced off in the championship, but it was never even close. Raising Arizona wins by eighteen points.

Mind you don't cut yourself, Mordecai.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: March Madness for Comedy Movies

My final 4. And it's more to due with the lame seatings they start out with.

Dumb and Dumber vs. CaddyShack

and

The Jerk vs. Fast Times

Winner: Caddyshack

Wow. Those brackets really do suck.

I loved Rasing Arizona and I had to bounce it in the first round because it was up against Ferris Bueller. Ditto for the Fast Times versus Spinal Tap matchup and Caddyshack versus the Blues Brothers.

I ended up cutting out about half of my personal top ten in the first round because of bad matchups. Meanwhile, funny but unimpressive stuff like 'The Producers' and 'Dazed and Confused' made it to the second round because they were matched up against movies that were flat out bad.

In the end, Animal House hit a buzzer beater to squeak out a win versus Blazing Saddles.

Yeah, terrible brackets here too.

My final four was Raising Arizona vs. Caddyshack and Holy Grail vs. Princess Bride.

Raising Arizona downed Holy Grail in the finals as Tex Cobb blew up, trumping the Black Knight
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

The seedings did suck - Austin Posers vs Stripes and Holy Grail vs. Young Frankenstein hurt. Then such losers like Producers vs 9 to 5 and Annie hall vs. His Girl Friday.

OK, my final four was South Park vs. Animal House and Fast Times vs. Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The Animal House v. Fast Times in the final, with Animal House winning it all. Belushi scored 43 in the final.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

My final four ...

Something About Mary vs. Tommy Boy

Princess Bride vs. Airplane

Why was "His Girl Friday" even on the list? Nothing was funny back in 1940. Nothing at all.

I was also stunned that "Bowfinger" made the cut.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I was quite surprised to see Bowfinger among others in the field.

How did they miss Stir Crazy, Waterboy, Funny Farm, Liar Liar or even Major League?

And the 'No Sequel' rule is just plain silly. If a movie is funny, it's funny. Christmas Vacation is hilarious and it's a travesty it's not on here.
    Last edited by HotCorner; 03-15-2005 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    And the 'No Sequel' rule is just plain silly.
    I think it is a good rule if for no other reason than it eliminated the 0.0000001% chance that Caddyshack II would make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    How did they miss Stir Crazy, Waterboy, Funny Farm, Liar Liar or even Major League?
    There was a lot of stuff missing, including all of the classic Marx Brothers and Three Stooges stuff, the prototype teen gross out comedy (Porky's), and the aforementioned Stir Crazy & Major League.

Don't forget all those Pauley Shore movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I think it is a good rule if for no other reason than it eliminated the 0.0000001% chance that Caddyshack II would make the list.

Worst sequel ever made. May be the worst movie ever made.

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" looked like "Citizen Kane" next to Caddyshack II.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?