Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Schiavo

Re: Terri Schiavo

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    The woman is not alive. I'm sorry, it is not murder. She has no cerebral cortex. There is nothing possible in medical science within our lifetime that will jumpstart her brain. This is not murder and I'm not sure why you choose to use that word.
    Is she consenting to this? Did she put in a living will specifying that in an event like this that she would rather die? I dont see it anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

She's not alive. So how can she consent to something that is already done? It was God's will, she is going to have to take it up with him. I wouldn't question him, if I were her.

Michael Schiavo is more interested from the monetary gain he stands to receive from her death anyway, so why not take Herring up on his offer, gain a million bucks, and be free from the guilt and ridicule that he will face whem she dies? He's merely a gold digger trying to portray himself as some kind of saint for relieving his wife's suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Michael Schiavo is more interested from the monetary gain he stands to receive from her death anyway.....
    How do you know this? How do you know the intimate thoughts and wishes of this family?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Just the fact that Gloria Allred is involved in this makes it a smarmy, smarmy proceeding. It's likely that Robert Herring is actually a Red Herring.

This woman is dead. D-E-A-D! Give her a proper funeral and let her go on her way. Grieve if you must but don't do it at a bed full of tubes for the next 20 years. That what cemataries are for.

Rem

If her life is taken Friday, it will be a sad day.
    Her life has already been taken.

Why is it so difficult for people to accept death?

Let her go.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

This is a good example of why I think that euthanasia should be an option in human medicine. Ms. Schiavo died a long time ago, but a little part of her brain didn't get the message. I think that keeping her body alive is a selfish act borne of an inability of them not wanting to let her go. On the other hand, I can somewhat understand her parents not wanting to see her body slowly waste away due to starvation, though. Perhapse if euthanasia were an option, rather than starvation, they would be more willing to let her go.

Ms. Schiavo is already dead. I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that. She has absolutely no chance of a meaningful recovery and I have long thought that her parents are being selfish by keeping her "alive." They're doing it because they can't let go and accept the truth. It's that simple.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Glenn Beck takes the side of the parents, while most poeple take Terry's side by putting themselves in her shoes. There is no one on this board that can honestly say they would like to be kept alive by feeding tubes for 15 years.

Yes, if I were her parents, I might feel differently, but if I were Terry, I would not.

That's the dfference here.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Is she consenting to this? Did she put in a living will specifying that in an event like this that she would rather die? I dont see it anywhere.
    Gee, it would pretty hard for her to consent to this since she is already brain dead. Most people don't have a stipulation like that in their living will, simply because they aren't expecting tragedy to hit. There aren't many people in this world that would want to be kept alive by machine and tubes when they have absolutely no chance for a meaningful recovery. Ms. Schiavo is already dead. The rest of her body just hasn't gotten the message yet.

Almost 3 years ago, I had to go to Indianapolis to have my dad removed from support. The day before, he suffered a 2 hematomas. The night it happened, the doctors said he had little brain avtivitivity and would only breathe a few minutes to maybe a few hours after being removed. To me, it was a no brainer. I made the decision to let go. Ironically, when I got there the next day, theyy said they had scanned again, and brain function was gone, so I didn't have to make a decision- they would just do it on their own. I supposed I was relieved a bit, but I would have had him removed anyway.

I say let her go. His motivation means nothing. She is gone.

They didn't need my approval as there was no brain function. I wonder if the laws pertaining to this vary by state.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    How do you know this? How do you know the intimate thoughts and wishes of this family?
    For one, she has a large sum life insurance policy that he can still collect on once she is declared dead. Second, had this been my wife, I wouldn't have went out and knocked up some other woman, while, for all intents and purposes, my wife sat alive in a hospital. Though Teri can't talk or communicate, how do we know that she's not taking in what's being said or going on around her. It's a matter of simply putting the pieces of the puzzle together to see what Michale Sciavo's motives are.

If Teri's parents are willing to shoulder this heavy load, then what would be the problem with Michael getting what he wants ($$$$$$$$$) and letting Teri's parents take over the situation?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

For one, she has a large sum life insurance policy that he can still collect on once she is declared dead. Second, had this been my wife, I wouldn't have went out and knocked up some other woman, while, for all intents and purposes, my wife sat alive in a hospital.
    Since I don't know the facts here, when did he "knock up" another woman. Are you talking about a few days after her accident or a few years?

If I am ever clinically brain dead, I HOPE my wife will do whatever she can to get on with her life, including having children if that's what she wants to do.
    Stick to your guns.

Though Teri can't talk or communicate, how do we know that she's not taking in what's being said or going on around her.
    You do realize that she's clinically brain dead, right? Simply put, that means that her brain is not capable of processing what is being said or what is going on around her. Tests such as an EEG have been conducted to show that the only part of her brain that is functioning is the part that is responsible for carrying out life sustaining processes. The other vital areas of that brain are not functioning.

Second, had this been my wife, I wouldn't have went out and knocked up some other woman, while, for all intents and purposes, my wife sat alive in a hospital
    I'm not married, although that'll be changing this August. And I love my fiancee more than anything in the world.

But if I'm ever brain dead in a hospital then I certainly would want her to move on with her life and find whatever happiness she can. I'm sure that if Terri Schiavo really loved her husband then she would feel the same way.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?