Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Schiavo

Terri Schiavo

LOS ANGELES - A San Diego-area businessman on Thursday offered $1 million to Terri Schiavo's husband in an attempt to keep the brain-damaged Florida woman alive.

Robert Herring said he would pay Michael Schiavo the money if he transfers the legal right to decide his wife's medical treatment to her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, who oppose removing a tube feeding their daughter.

The offer will remain on the table until Monday, Herring said in a statement released by high-profile attorney Gloria Allred.

Michael Schiavo has obtained a court order to remove the feeding tube March 18. Herring said he felt "compelled to act" before then in hopes of preventing her from dying, adding that he has had no personal contact with Schiavo or the Schindlers and was not affiliated with any organization involved in the case.

"I believe very strongly that there are medical advances happening around the globe that very shortly could have a positive impact on Terri's condition. I have seen miraculous recoveries occur through the use of stem cells in patients suffering a variety of conditions," Herring said.

Herring, who founded an electronics firm and later a cable and satellite channel, has deposited the money into a trust account at Allred's Los Angeles law firm, Allred said in a statement. The monetary offer was submitted in writing to Michael Schiavo's attorney, she added.

A message left at the law office of Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, seeking comment late Thursday was not immediately returned.

Calls seeking comment from the Schindlers' attorney also were not immediately returned, nor was a message left on Bob Schindler's cell phone.

"Mr. Herring thinks there might be hope for Terri Schiavo and wonders why there is a rush to death, especially in view of the advances being made in medical research," Allred said. "He feels that he couldn't live with himself if he didn't make this offer and he sincerely hopes that it will be accepted."

Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage in 1990 after her heart stopped due to a chemical imbalance possibly brought on by an eating disorder. Her parents and her husband have fought in court for nearly seven years over her fate.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush in 2003 pushed a law through the state Legislature that authorized him to resume the woman's artificial feedings six days after a court stopped them. The law was later ruled unconstitutional by the Florida Supreme Court.
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-15-2005 at 09:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Terri Schiavo

A rush to death? It's been 15 years for the Schiavo family. Hasn't this family suffered enought?

That was an inappropiate offer to the family. That is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Hasn't this family suffered enought?
    Depends on who you define as her family. Her husband who re-married, or the parents who want to keep her alive and take care of her.

If her life is taken Friday, it will be a sad day.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Depends on who you define as her family. Her husband who re-married, or the parents who want to keep her alive and take care of her.

If her life is taken Friday, it will be a sad day.
    So because her husband remarried, he no longer has any say in this manner? Sorry, but the courts have ruled otherwise. And soon this tragedy will be over.

IMO, that million dollars would be better spent to keep several hundreds, if not thousands alive who are starving to death all over the world.

This is such a sad story. It goes to show that if you don't want to be kept alive by a feeding tube you have to get it written down somewhere. I know I wouldn't want to suffer Terri's fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    This is such a sad story. It goes to show that if you don't want to be kept alive by a feeding tube you have to get it written down somewhere. I know I wouldn't want to suffer Terri's fate.
    That's how I feel. Her wishes weren't in writing, so you have to believe the husband.

I'd want my husband or someone close to me to be able to make that decision.

I'd hate my family if they kept me prisoner in my own body.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 03-16-2005 at 09:15 AM.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    So because her husband remarried, he no longer has any say in this manner? Sorry, but the courts have ruled otherwise. And soon this tragedy will be over.
    Do you think he really cares? I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Do you think he really cares? I dont.
    I have no idea. I haven't really got a chance to chat with him and give him the "really cares" test.

I just wonder if somebody tried to kill a cute little puppy dog like this to illustrate Terri Schiavo if they would show their execution live on the 6 o'clock news.

Bobo

Read the hatemail closer to the bottom to see what people thought-

Glenn Beck Hatemail

She has no cerebral cortex. There is no chance of recovery. Her parents are ignoring the facts. I can't blame them for being emotionally attached to her, but the person laying in that bed is no longer their daughter. She died a long time ago.

Her parents are not paying attention to the fact that her brain is mush. Did you see the xrays? Her brain is mostly water.

For a Level Playing Field

Makes me think of the old college days. Reminds me of a once popular song and video. Of what it may be like inside the head of that person who is rendered helpless for the rest of their life. Especially one who has suffered severe brain-damage. Miracle cure? Tell that to someone who has been a diabetic for 32 years of his life. No one knows what she is thinking. But I have no idea what her parents are thinking either. A living will.... get it done if you have not already. Or at least let your loved ones know how you feel about this situation if it should happen to you.

I can’t remember anything, Can’t tell if this is true or dream
    Deep down inside I feel to scream, This terrible silence stops me

Now that the norm is through with me, I’m waking up I can not see
    That there is not much left of me, Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
    Oh please god,wake me

Back in the womb it’s much too real, In pumps life that I must feel
    But can’t look forward to reveal, Look to the time when I’ll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me, Just like a wartime novelty
    Tied to machines that make me be, Cut this life off from me

Hold my breath as I wish for death, Oh please god,wake me
    Now the world is gone I’m just one
    Oh god,help me hold my breath as I wish for death
    Oh please God help me

Darkness imprisoning me, All that I see, Absolute horror
    I cannot live, I cannot die
    Trapped in myself, Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
    Taken my speech
    Taken my hearing
    Taken my arms
    Taken my legs
    Taken my soul
    Left me with life in hell

I have no idea what a healthy puppy has to do with a woman that does not have a cerebral cortex.

RFA, I was thinking of the same song.

If there wasnt a living will, then how do we know if it is murder or not? Why dont we just begin killing off all elderly people in the nursing homes or all mentally and physically challenged because they are a burden on the rest of the healthy world?

The woman is not alive. I'm sorry, it is not murder. She has no cerebral cortex. There is nothing possible in medical science within our lifetime that will jumpstart her brain. This is not murder and I'm not sure why you choose to use that word.

Turn Off Ads?