Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MVP 2005... Stats from your first season.

MVP 2005... Stats from your first season.

I'm about 3/4 through my first season with the Reds. The only player I edited was Kearns, to play 3rd Randa and Weathers were shipped off for AAA pitching prospects.

First of all, the Lineup:

2B Jimenez
    SS Lopez
    1B Casey
    LF Dunn
    3B Kearns
    RF Griffey
    CF Pena
    C LaRue

Bench:

2B Freel (28 SB)
    C Valentin
    SS Aurilia
    IF Olmedo

In 125 games, Dunn has 35 homers. Kearns is batting .342 with 33 dingers. Case is batting .338, and Jr. is batting .281. (Junior went down with a knee injury in the beginning of the season, recovered after a few weeks) So far WMP has 8 errors in CF since I put Kearns at 3rd.

Pitching:

Milton: 12-5 3.47 ERA
    Wilson: 9-6 4.12 ERA
    Ortiz: 10-5 3.86 ERA
    Harang 12-10 4.56 ERA
    Claussen 7-8 5.25 ERA

Weber: 2-1 3.56 ERA
    Mercker: 2-2 2.34 ERA
    Wagner 1-2 3.36 ERA
    Acevedo: 1-3 4.23 ERA
    Graves 3-1 2.30 ERA (34 SV)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: MVP 2005... Stats from your first season.

Are you managing or playing?

My lineup...

2B Joe Morgan
    SS D'Lo/FeLo
    1B Casey
    CF Junior
    C Johnny Bench
    LF Dunn
    RF Kearns
    DH Pena
    3B Freel/Randa

The Reds are much more fun to play with Bench, Morgan, and Seaver on the roster. And the DH is used as a tool to rest a tired Bench or Griffey and keep his bat in the lineup.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I hit a inside the park HR with Rocco Baldelli the other night. Man that guy's fast.

I started a season as the Twins, but deleted it after a few games. Having too much fun playing single games right now. Can't decide who I want to be, and I keep fishing for more roster updates to keep it as up to date as possible.

Cruisin' for trouble

Anyone notice the extreme high incidents of double plays occurring?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    Anyone notice the extreme high incidents of double plays occurring?
    What about the KRISP?

I haven't noticed too many DP's. Do you have the PS2 version?

I had to seriously tweak all the sliders though to get it more realistic.

1-0 and 2-1 for game after game just wasn't doing it for me, so I added 15 each to Player and CPU contact and 10 each to the power meters. Also cranked up the CPU's pitcher energy to wear down quicker, I'm way too aggresive and it never gets to their bully unless its an extra innings game.

Evened out things slightly although I've only played a couple of games with the levels like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    What about the KRISP?
    The Krisp?

I enjoy mine with milk, and a glass of OJ.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I hit a inside the park HR with Rocco Baldelli the other night. Man that guy's fast.
    Did it actually count as a HR?

I have hit half-a-dozen inside the park HRs since I got the game, and every one was scored as an error. Every one I have hit so far has been a gapper that either (a) takes a goofy bounce against the wall (b) the OF falls down as he's retrieving the ball or (c) the OF fields the ball cleanly but trys to make a direct throw [instead of hitting the cutoff man] and the ball rolls into the infield.

The funny part is, the batter doesn't even receive credit for the hit. In every instance, my hitter has been rounding second before the fielder gets to the ball, but it shows up in the boxscore as an 0-1 with an OF error.

Cruisin' for trouble

I had to seriously tweak all the sliders though to get it more realistic.

1-0 and 2-1 for game after game just wasn't doing it for me, so I added 15 each to Player and CPU contact and 10 each to the power meters. Also cranked up the CPU's pitcher energy to wear down quicker, I'm way too aggresive and it never gets to their bully unless its an extra innings game.

Evened out things slightly although I've only played a couple of games with the levels like that.

I have the PC version. I'm playing the game, not managing, but it seems as though either team gets a guy on first, a double-play grounder is sure to occur.

I initially hit into a TON of GIDP playing on XBOX. I've greatly reduced them by (1) rarely swinging at offspeed junk or stuff on the outside of the plate with less than two strikes and (2) when forced to swing at junk, keeping the control stick UP to force an uppercut swing.

Also, if you have a big time bopper at the plate, move up in the batters box. The CPU rarely, if ever, throws inside to guys like Dunn & Junior. If you crowd the plate, it greatly increases your chances of making solid contact on stuff over the outside of the plate. The inverse is true for judy hitters, as the CPU tries to jam them with regularity (I'm killing the ball with FeLo and Randa as a result). Keep an eye on the 'hot zones' for your hitters. The CPU tends to pitch to blue as much as possible.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-16-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Did it actually count as a HR?

I have hit half-a-dozen inside the park HRs since I got the game, and every one was scored as an error. Every one I have hit so far has been a gapper that either (a) takes a goofy bounce against the wall (b) the OF falls down as he's retrieving the ball or (c) the OF fields the ball cleanly but trys to make a direct throw [instead of hitting the cutoff man] and the ball rolls into the infield.

The funny part is, the batter doesn't even receive credit for the hit. In every instance, my hitter has been rounding second before the fielder gets to the ball, but it shows up in the boxscore as an 0-1 with an OF error.
    It actually did. It was in the first inning, and it was a high bouncer that simply bounced over the head of the RF, untouched. By the time the RF got to it I was rounding 3rd so it was a no brainer.

I wanted to see if it scored it as a HR too. Weird thing was, in the Box score, it listed a HR by Baldelli in the notes below but it had 1H, 1R but 0RBI in the main scoring section. Don't know why it didn't give him credit for the RBI, maybe it's a glitch.

It actually did. It was in the first inning, and it was a high bouncer that simply bounced over the head of the RF, untouched.
    Weird.

I've had a couple where I was in an asymetrical park (like the Polo Grounds or Crosley Field) and hit a gapper that, upon reaching an angular spot on the wall, shot off in another direction and away from the OF. Then,despite the fact the OF never touched the ball, it was ruled as an error. I've never had one bounce over a guy's head though.

bomarl1969

My lineup is like this...

D Lo-2B
    Larkin-SS (signed as a FA for 9 freakin mil!)
    Casey-1B
    Kearns-RF
    Dunn-LF
    Pena-CF
    LaRue-C
    Randa-3B

Rotation

Milton
    Wilson
    Ortiz
    Moyer-trade with Seattle for Jr.
    Harang

I am doing the franchise owner mode...it is much harder...built my own ballpark...Pete Rose Field...and right now I am 39-36 2.5 games behind the Cards. Interesting and fun season so far...

Kearns, Dunn, and Pena are all battling for the team HR crown with 8, 8, and 9. Kent Mercker is leading the team in wins with 6 (as a reliever). Graves has about 11 saves (none blown)....while Harang leads the rotation with 5 wins.

I usually sim because I don't have the time or patience to actually play a whole season (25 minutes/game * 162 games = 67.5 hours!), but I decided I'll give it a try just to see what kind of stats I rack up.

My pitching is WAY ahead of my hitting. After seven games at the pro level, I've got a staff ERA of 0.43 thanks to Eric Milton giving up three runs on opening day. Since then, I've tossed six consecutive shutouts (including three CGSO). Unfortunately, my hitting is pretty mediocre (27 runs in 7 games), so I don't want to bump up the difficulty until I have got the offensive end of things figured out.

At this point, my entire offense is pretty much jacking the ball out of the park. I'd guess about 3/4 of my runs have scored off of homers. I should probably stop jamming the thumbstick up on every swing, but its just WAY too satisfying to rip the ball out of the park with the likes of Joe Randa and Jason Larue. I'm going to have to start experimenting with taking level swings if I ever want to string together a long rally.

Turn Off Ads?