Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Thus, validating a central theme of the self help industry...it doesn't work unless you stick to it.
    Or a more central theme...folks don't stick to it because the substance is lacking and the power to change does not come from within, so the books don't really help (temporary quick fixes are no help at all) and folks need to buy another book. If the books really helped, just like the diet books, there goes the industry. After all, why publish a self-help book that really helps? Who's gonna buy more self-help books if everyone gets fixed?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Or a more central theme...folks don't stick to it because the substance is lacking and the power to change does not come from within, so the books don't really help (temporary quick fixes are no help at all) and folks need to buy another book. If the books really helped, just like the diet books, there goes the industry. After all, why publish a self-help book that really helps? Who's gonna buy more self-help books if everyone gets fixed?
    I think a lack of substance is highly responsible for people quitting many self-help schemes. But I think human nature also plays a huge part. We like our routines, and we don't want to change them.

Even when the plan has substance, not everyone will stick with it. Lots of people go to church on the holidays, or when they are going through a crisis, or when the church has an old-fashioned "Revival" (are Baptists the only one who do that?). Then a month or two later, they go back to sleeping in on Sunday.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I think a lack of substance is highly responsible for people quitting many self-help schemes. But I think human nature also plays a huge part. We like our routines, and we don't want to change them.

Even when the plan has substance, not everyone will stick with it. Lots of people go to church on the holidays, or when they are going through a crisis, or when the church has an old-fashioned "Revival" (are Baptists the only one who do that?). Then a month or two later, they go back to sleeping in on Sunday.
    Very true, Johnny.

As for "Revival," I used to go to a Baptist church, and yes they had a couple of weeks a year of week long meetings. I think its roots are in the tent "camp meetings" from the early Pentecostal days. I now worship with a Grace Brethren church (Anabaptist) and they do not do the week long meeting thing.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Or a more central theme...folks don't stick to it because the substance is lacking and the power to change does not come from within, so the books don't really help (temporary quick fixes are no help at all) and folks need to buy another book.
    If you say so...I never read any of them all the way through. :MandJ:
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I find the one book that embodies what life is truly about is "Curious George Rides A Bike". You can mess up your job, break all your toys, and generally create havoc in every life you touch, but if you save another helpless creature everything will be alright.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?