Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Times: No Need to Stew: A Few Tips to Cope With Life's Annoyances

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: NY Times: No Need to Stew: A Few Tips to Cope With Life's Annoyances

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    It's getting to be impossible. Newspaper's a quarter.

Its free to stay at home.

If people don't like TVs in restaurants, either find one that doesn't have one, ask the owner if you may turn it off, stay at home, or open your own.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 03-17-2005 at 10:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Call me old-fashioned. When I'm out to eat with someone, I want to have a conversation with them. TV is a great conversation killer.
    old-fashioned!

I couldn't be any more old-fashioned on the topic myself. People should respect others. I don't go find a spot that doesn't fit my needs and pull my version of frontier justice on them in order to suit my preferences.

When I want to have a nice conversation with someone, say with the lovely and talented Mrs. Gonelong, we go to an establishment without an idiot box.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    old-fashioned!

I couldn't be any more old-fashioned on the topic myself. People should respect others. I don't go find a spot that doesn't fit my needs and pull my version of frontier justice on them in order to suit my preferences.

When I want to have a nice conversation with someone, say with the lovely and talented Mrs. Gonelong, we go to an establishment without an idiot box.

GL
    Yeah, I wouldn't do the surreptitious TV off thing either. It's too sneaky. If I really had a problem with the TV, I'd talk to the owner.

Come to think of it, if I've been somewhere with the family and the TV has been too obnoxious, we just don't go back.

And I've been a wait staff so I empathize with them and don't truly mess with them. But if I suspect they're screwing with me, I am the customer and the one that determines the tip.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    And I've been a wait staff so I empathize with them and don't truly mess with them. But if I suspect they're screwing with me, I am the customer and the one that determines the tip.
    If everyone had a stint in the military and a stint on a wait staff the world would be a much nicer place.

Someone turning off a TV in a food joint today (NCAA tourney!) would probably get a version of frontier justice in return.

GL

I'm all over the "Starbucks Speak". No such tihing as "Grande". It's small, medium, large. Things that are "Vente" cost $3.00 and come in a paper cup with no refills when they used to cost $.50, come in a 'china' cup and have unlimited refills because they were "small". :

Rem

Turn Off Ads?