Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The official UC will beat UK thread!

Re: The official UC will beat UK thread!

UC has absolutely NO CHANCE against UK. I don't see how they could possibly win that game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Digger Phelps is picking Cincinnati. Then again, he ALWAYS picks UK to lose as soon as is feasible. Still bitter about not being able to beat them as a coach, I guess. Have Digger or Billy Packer ever said anything positive about UK?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

UC has absolutely NO CHANCE against UK. I don't see how they could possibly win that game.

For a Level Playing Field

Thank God the Bearcats are not having to play a real powerhouse like South Florida in round 2!!! :mhcky21:

p.s. - don't hurt me!
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-18-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    And thanks for jinxing UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The only team to beat UK in Cincinnati the past half-century has been my beloved Dayton Flyers...in 2000.

UC's last win vs. UK? 1939

Its times like these the differences on this board truly comes to the fore.

I spent part of the morning listening to Pic on 1360 and many of the callers talking about which team was afraid of the other and thats why the game wasn't scheduled each year like UK vs UL or UC and X. Are the fans of UC really as delusional to think that they are in the upper eschelon of teams ala UK [or UNC, Duke etal] Thats the impression you get from listening to these people some days.

Can UC win? Yes they can. Does that mean they are a better team than UK? No, just means they played better that day. Its just like Florida fans, the Gators played better recently, but they aren't a better team.

UK wins by 12.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Have Digger or Billy Packer ever said anything positive about UK?
    Yes, Billy Packer was POSITIVE that Patrick Sparks traveled with three seconds left in the Louisville game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I spent part of the morning listening to Pic on 1360 and many of the callers talking about which team was afraid of the other and thats why the game wasn't scheduled each year like UK vs UL or UC and X. Are the fans of UC really as delusional to think that they are in the upper eschelon of teams ala UK [or UNC, Duke etal] Thats the impression you get from listening to these people some days.
    This one has been bantered back and forth for the last fifteen years. However, you always seemed to hear more about it when Pitino was still coaching here. Huggins wanted a piece of Rick--really bad--but Rick would always smirk and claim that UK "had nothing to gain by playing UC." If you remember Huggins' reactions to Rick's comments--well...one would think that Rick expedited Huggins heart attack.

Porkchop Sandwiches

First off, I would like to say that I am rooting for UC to win. Secondly, I think this would be the best thread of the year for a poll to be posted. and thirdly, for those who keep debating UK's tourney glory in contrast with UC's lackthereof...

From the Enquirer today

Kentucky reached the regional final in 2003, the only time since 1999 the Wildcats have advanced past the Sweet 16. Last season, UK, then a No. 1 seed, was upset in the second round by UAB.

Cincinnati hasn't been past the second round since 2001.
    Hardly dominance on either team's part.
    Last edited by DoogMinAmo; 03-18-2005 at 03:31 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    The only team to beat UK in Cincinnati the past half-century has been my beloved Dayton Flyers...in 2000.
    I still think about that great night! Ranks right up there / Roosevelt Chapman scoring 52 against the mighty Oklahoma Sooners and Wayman Tisdale (who only scored 49 that game) in The Big Dance.

Kentucky reached the regional final in 2003, the only time since 1999 the Wildcats have advanced past the Sweet 16. Last season, UK, then a No. 1 seed, was upset in the second round by UAB.
    And it is here that I, a UK fan, see a troubling pattern. I commend Tubby for year-in-and-year-out taking the preseason #12-#13 ranked team and progressing them to a #1 or #2 tournament seed, including the #1 overall ranking in 02-03 and 03-04. But the regularity with which they are choking in the tournament is not something to be happy about. I would be shocked to see them go any further than the round of 16 this year, as well. In fact, they'll probably lose to Cincinnati. They have played very poorly the past three weeks or so.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    This one has been bantered back and forth for the last fifteen years. However, you always seemed to hear more about it when Pitino was still coaching here. Huggins wanted a piece of Rick--really bad--but Rick would always smirk and claim that UK "had nothing to gain by playing UC." If you remember Huggins' reactions to Rick's comments--well...one would think that Rick expedited Huggins heart attack.
    Seeing the way Louisville has outplayed UC pretty consistently, I can't say, unfortunately, I disagree with Rick. I have utmost respect for Pitino, and am picking Louisville to go all the way.

RedLeg Wildcat

I'm a UK fan and graduate and I think the game is a toss up. UK has had trouble this year with teams that can rebound like UC. I'm not that familar with UC but from what I understand they don't shoot too well. So, if that holds true, rebounding will be the key.

The other thing that scares me as a UK fan is that UC wants this game moreso than UK. For UK players, they should be "up" since it's the NCAA's, but they don't have the extra motivation that UC has.

BTW, don't know how Huggins and Pitino's relationship is now since lyingRick is in Louisville, but I have read that Huggins and Tubby are good friends. FWIW.
    The Big RED One

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

This is a dream come true matchup for alot of people, especially NKY. As a former resident of Covington I know that there are plenty of UC fans mixed in with the UK fans, and some confused individuals who like both.

Anyhoo, I just hope that at the very least UC can give them boys a fight. Otherwise those "blo...." er I mean "Die Hard" UK fans will be louder than ever.

Turn Off Ads?