Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

Have any of you read this book or do you have plans to? I haven't read it, but it has gotten a lot of attention the past few days, since Ashley Smith, the woman who came face to face with accused killer Brian Nichols, reported that she read it to Nichols while his captive, and that it led to her release.

It is ranked #2 at Amazon.com, and CNN's NewsNight will devote an hour to it tonight at 10:00pm Eastern. (The CNN link will probably change each day, so it may be irrelevant after today - March 16.) The book is getting a lot of attention, both positive and negative, as the Amazon.com customer reviews will attest.

Last edited by macro; 03-16-2005 at 12:57 PM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

If woy is ever kidnapped, I hope it's by someone who likes hearing passages from The Baseball Encyclopedia.

Makes all the routine posts.

I read some of the Amazon.com reviews, and they play out like a less-intelligent version of the countless debates on faith and Christianity we've had here. Glib, bitter atheists and agnostics try to make clever jokes and insults; indignant Christians make beatific pronouncements, then try to make clever riposts.

Personally, I think the book looks like yet another possible tool to provide direction for someone who is totally lost. One might also try the Bible, the Talmud, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, Dianetics, or any other self-help tome that teaches us to find direction by seeking a higher purpose in life.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Dianetics
    Mmm... culty sea-org goodness. Have you had your e-meter reading today? :RedinDC:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Have you had your e-meter reading today?
    I'm saving up my cash for just that. I'm still $23,000 short.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'm saving up my cash for just that. I'm still $23,000 short.
    :MandJ:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I take my cues from...

Black Diamond: The Unauthorized Biography of Kiss

but that's just me.

The Purpose Driven Life is a book designed primarily to help guide believers to understanding God's purpose for their life. The related materials are used by McChurch's to attempt to get the same results that the pastor who wrote it got when used with his congregation. Not my cup of tea as a believer, but that's what it is. I'm sure there is some material in there that is evangelistic in nature or that an unbeliever would understand and relate to.

I also look for this Ashley to be making the barnstorming miracle tour on the Christian testimony circuit next. Cynical? Ya think.... :mhcky21:
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sun Tzu's the Art of War is all one needs.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

When I worked at the Main Library in Cincinnati, the department I worked in was Education and Religion. I used to skim just about every book that we bought for the collection, many of which were along the same lines. It's a cottage industry, telling people how to find a direction in their life and after two years of looking at the stuff, I learned that they all focus on just about the same thing, setting one's priorities. Determine what is important- one hopes it's not illegal, of course- then prioritize the rest of your life around keeping those important things central to your existence. From the perspective of books like the Purpose Driven Life, that means prioritizing along religious/sprirtiual lines, but I think there is a common thread between those books and, say, books on getting your financial life in order. Straighten up your priorities first, then take steps each day at achieving your goals.
    Heck, I've even read books on clearing out your clutter that seem the same.

Anyway, there's no harm in reading this one. However, I do have a problem with seeing this, or any other of the books like it (of which there are dozens each year...TD Jakes, Iyanla Van Zant, Dr. Phil come to mind) as THE answer. Different strokes for different folks, you know.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Sundeck, it's amazing how one book here and there seems to catch on so widely when there are probably scores of other books offering the same advice that got ignored. It kinda reminds me of the South Beach Diet, which really doesn't say anything that you couldn't have found said other places already.

traderumor, I had never heard the term "McChurch" before. Funny stuff! :MandJ: Sadly, though, "billions and billions" (okay, maybe not that many, but I wanted to work the McDonald's slogan in here somewhere ) are being served by these processed churches. Gosh the analogies are endless!

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Sundeck, it's amazing how one book here and there seems to catch on so widely when there are probably scores of other books offering the same advice that got ignored. It kinda reminds me of the South Beach Diet, which really doesn't say anything that you couldn't have found said other places already.
    There definitely seems to be a formula that works. What amazes me is that people seem to never get tired of being told how to live their lives. That's got to be a good thing, people wanting to improve themselves. At the same time, maybe the institutional vehicles for learning how to live one's life are being replaced by the individual pursuit. People may not belong to congregations anymore, but that doesn't mean they don't want direction, purpose and fulfillment. The problem is that on an individual level we don't feel qualified to make the right decisions. Pastor and doctrine replaced by Self Help Guru, so to speak.

What amazes me is that people seem to never get tired of being told how to live their lives. That's got to be a good thing, people wanting to improve themselves.
    I'm not amazed that people are looking for ways to improve themselves. What's amazing to me is that when people learn that it takes effort to actually improve themselves, they quickly get bored and return to their routine. Then two years later, they find themselves unhappy again, so they shell out another $25 for another easy answer.

I'm not amazed that people are looking for ways to improve themselves. What's amazing to me is that when people learn that it takes effort to actually improve themselves, they quickly get bored and return to their routine. Then two years later, they find themselves unhappy again, so they shell out another $25 for another easy answer.
    Thus, validating a central theme of the self help industry...it doesn't work unless you stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    traderumor, I had never heard the term "McChurch" before. Funny stuff! :MandJ: Sadly, though, "billions and billions" (okay, maybe not that many, but I wanted to work the McDonald's slogan in here somewhere ) are being served by these processed churches. Gosh the analogies are endless!
    The quality of the food is about the same, too. :gac:
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?