Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

Re: What kind of cheerleaders do they have in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    You'll never know will you. Interesting I mention "dumb politicians" and you immediatly think of our current president. I mean it could have been his daddy, or good old Tom Delay, or for you old folks , John Tower....Hope thats lighthearted enough , you all.
    Nor will I lose any sleep over the matter. Let's just say my initial response was based more upon your "body of work" on such matters, rather than the precise sematics attributed to your aforementioned post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

Townes Van Zandt
    "Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter ever, and I'll stand on Bob Dylans coffee table in my cowboy boots and say it too."

Steve Earle

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    "Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter ever, and I'll stand on Bob Dylans coffee table in my cowboy boots and say it too."

Steve Earle
    The quote of the day. If Steve said it, it must be true. I was just listening to " I Feel Alright".
    You can catch Steve's great radio show on Air America every Sunday night at 10:00 EST. No politics, just great music and great talk about music.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Nor will I lose any sleep over the matter. Let's just say my initial response was based more upon your "body of work" on such matters, rather than the precise sematics attributed to your aforementioned post.
    It is a prodigious body of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    It is a prodigious body of work.
    Agreed !

Go Redlegs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    What's wrong with this? The article reads as though the bill is aimed at 7-12 grade schools. And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.
    Better find some way to wipe out the entire media then. And heaven help you if you find yourself in THAT crowd.

...damn terrorists.

This is precisely the reason why we have legislatures, checked by a multi-tiered judicial system empowered to pass vital, constitutional laws that protect the governed, all enforced by the bureaucracy of the executive branch of the government and its duly sworn agencies.

Of course, they could also have a quiet chat with the cheerleading coach and get the same result, but hey.

Makes all the routine posts.

shapu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    And I thought sex was the cause of teenage pregnancies and STDs. Silly me...
    Yeah, funny that. Of course, this is a state that allows counties to refuse to teach children of any age how to use condoms, so what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Isn't the motto in Texas..."At least we're not Mississippi!"?
    That's West Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It's much easier to "fix" things like this in the state's schools than invest time, effort and compromise in fixing the state's abysmal school finance system. :thumbdown
    hear, hear!

If my insurance benefits get cut one more time, i may dress in a cheerleading outfit to supplement my income.

BTW, i mentioned my daughter was trying out for Varsity for next year's squad. She made it. And the Honor Roll, and was named an editor for the yearbook for next year. And i owe a lot of her success in school to the fact that she wiggles her tush at football games as a cheerleader. It's a trade i'll happily make, because i know AS A PARENT that I am raising my daughter right. I know what she is doing, and where she is. I monitor all her activities as much as possible, but i know she'll make the right decisions when life comes at her (sex, alcohol, drugs)

Because AS A PARENT, that is MY job, not the state's.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    hear, hear!

BTW, i mentioned my daughter was trying out for Varsity for next year's squad. She made it. And the Honor Roll, and was named an editor for the yearbook for next year. And i owe a lot of her success in school to the fact that she wiggles her tush at football games as a cheerleader. It's a trade i'll happily make, because i know AS A PARENT that I am raising my daughter right. I know what she is doing, and where she is. I monitor all her activities as much as possible, but i know she'll make the right decisions when life comes at her (sex, alcohol, drugs)

Because AS A PARENT, that is MY job, not the state's.
    I have to say I figured when I read the title of this post I thought it would be lots of jokes and sarcastic comments but TRF you bring up a good point about how at some point parents need to reclaim the responsibilities of raising their own children and not looking to or allowing others to decide how you should raise your children.

On your other point about how well chearleeding had helped your daughter I remember back to my high school days, and while the football cheerleaders were really nothing special the girls that cheered for basketball (we had like 4 varsity squads) were all smart, two were the captains of the girls soccer team and all were involved in student government. I think in alot of schools it was looked down on but I also recall in my school you had to maintain your grades to cheer just like you had to keep up your grades to play soccer.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

At least there are some legislators with common sense in the other house of the Texas legislature.
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/sta...2433c604d.html

Senators have no pep for cheerleader bill

Web Posted: 05/05/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Gary Scharrer
    Express-News Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Texas cheerleaders might not have to worry, after all, that state lawmakers will be watching every shake and wiggle.

The Senate said it's too busy working on a new state budget and trying to fix school finance to worry about the extracurricular stuff on Friday night football fields.

It's not appropriate for the state to regulate cheerleading, Senate Education Chair Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, said Wednesday.

The cheerleading bill would land in her committee — if House author Rep. Al Edwards, D-Houston, can find a willing Senate sponsor for the bill that cleared the House 85-55 on its third reading Wednesday. The bill would ban sexually suggestive dance moves.

“What happens in those local districts needs to stay in local districts,” Shapiro said. “They should monitor the routine or the clothing, and there should be very stringent rules and regulations in the individual local school districts. That's why we have local control.”

Under their breath, some senators described the cheerleading regulation bill as silly and ridiculous.

And it will die as soon as it arrives in the Senate, said former high school cheerleader Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo.

“It's late in the session, and everybody is working so hard (on the budget, school funding and tax reform),” Zaffirini said. “Everybody is focused on the big picture and the big issues — and there are many, many good bills that are not being passed simply because there isn't time.”

Zaffirini didn't expect her House colleagues to invest time and passion on a cheerleading bill: “I was surprised because they, too, are very busy,” she said.

Gov. Rick Perry, a former Aggie yell leader during his college days, suggested that state law addressing lewd behavior might be sufficient to reign in extra exuberant cheerleaders.

“We'll see whether or not the Texas Legislature feels it needs to send a stronger message than, quite frankly, it's already been sent,” Perry said. “I've got an idea that school boards may be taking a little closer look at it even if this legislation doesn't pass through the Senate.”
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-05-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    /r/reds

If we stop cheerleaders from shaking their collective butts, then the terrorists have won.

That's a world I'm not sure I want to live in.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    "Who's that Spartan with junk in the trunk?"

"It's Me. It's Me!"

Turn Off Ads?