Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=592661

I think the only way to properly respond to the idea of passing this law, would be via cheer.

"Give me a F. Give me a U...."

Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading
    Texas Lawmaker Says Cheerleaders Shouldn't Be Shaking Their Behinds
    By APRIL CASTRO
    The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas Mar 18, 2005 — The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

AUSTIN, Texas Mar 18, 2005 — The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

That's just madness, I tell ya.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

He might have a better shot at outlawing football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down,"said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House.
    :MandJ:

Word, G. Word.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What's wrong with this? The article reads as though the bill is aimed at 7-12 grade schools. And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House.
    I think Mr. Edwards has been studying this a little too closely. "Breaking it down"?

From my little narrow corner of the universe, cheerleaders have been fine. It's the dance teams that get a little too nasty.

But I think that's all up to the particular community and whether or not they want to let that kind of stuff go on. Legislating against it is dumb.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    What's wrong with this? The article reads as though the bill is aimed at 7-12 grade schools. And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.
    Absolutely. I think America as a whole has become to non-chalant when it comes to these type issues. Just because Britney Spears was a teen wanna be ***** doesn't mean all girls should try to be.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I agree with zombie and Joseph, and I also agree with Roy. It should be a policy set forth by each school district. Only problem with that, however, is that most people are too apathetic about the matter to force change.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

My daughter is a 15 year old Cheerleader. I was really worried about her during her freshman year. she had no focus, and was drifting through school. she was close to failing a couple of subjects. Towards the end of the year, she tried she tried out for the squad.

Now she has confidence in her self. she's joined multiple clubs (SADD, Journalism, Choir) She's going to Boston next month, And she's been on the honor roll every 6 weeks. Yeah, i get worried when i see the length of her skirts, but she wears something called under armor beneath it, at least on cold days. I go to the games she cheers at. She's on the JV squad, but tumbles with the Varsity girls. Tryouts are next week for next years squad, and I have no doubt she'll be on varsity this time around.

She now wants to be a surgeon. And I owe that in some part to cheerleading.

This representative does not represent me, that's for sure.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I doubt that this will pass. I can imagine that the cheerleading/dance squad lobby is fierce.
    /r/reds

The problem is how do you define "sexy cheerleading". If a girl shakes her rear end is that going to cause problems? If here skirt shows too much leg is that going to get the morality police after her?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The problem is how do you define "sexy cheerleading". If a girl shakes her rear end is that going to cause problems? If here skirt shows too much leg is that going to get the morality police after her?
    Exactly, which is why it would have to be a local decision. Then the districts that were concerned with it could form some sort of review committee to approve uniforms and routines. Or, they could do what the local school board here did, and that's appoint a conservative (not meant politically) person to be varsity cheer sponsor, and the uniforms and routines are always rated G. That works much better than having a politician at the state capital determine what is appropriate/inappropriate.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Would they outlaw high kicks and back flips because they would expose unmentionables and suggest that certain boday parts are available for exhibition? Cmon, where do you draw the line... If it bothers you, either don't go to the games, or don't have your kid be a cheerleader.

Will this law also include cheerleading fantasies? :

Don't our illustrious politicians have anything better to do or worry about? Like enacting a Spandex Law where certain people who have no business wearing it in public would be immediately arrested!

Glenn Braggs

Laws like this are unnecessary. Personal freedom of choice (as long as nobody suffers from it) is most important in any democracy. If something is questionable from a moral standpoint I'd rather expect the parents to take some actions than the government.

Turn Off Ads?