Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

Re: Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

Next thing you know, they'll outlaw dancing. Then Kevin Bacon will move to town and have to shake things up a bit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm in favor. Not something kids need to be into.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    I'm in favor. Not something kids need to be into.
    But they are into everything else. I think there are more serious concerns, in relationship to raiding our kids, then worrying about them seeing a cheerleader shaking her pom poms at a sporting event.

Lets face it.... if we think our kids are mature enough to be taught sex education in our schools, and that they don't need parental consent to get condoms or have an abortion, then why aren't they mature enough to handle this situation? It seems small potatoes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But they are into everything else. I think there are more serious concerns, in relationship to raiding our kids, then worrying about them seeing a cheerleader shaking her pom poms at a sporting event.

Lets face it.... if we think our kids are mature enough to be taught sex education in our schools, and that they don't need parental consent to get condoms or have an abortion, then why aren't they mature enough to handle this situation? It seems small potatoes to me.
    IMO, cuz those things are basically lost causes. No use in trying to fix it now.

What kind of cheerleaders do they have in TX?

Hey, I thought cheerleaders had a constitutional right to be skeevy. I guess the lawmakers in TX had run out of things to vote upon ....

Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading
    By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 51 minutes ago

After an alternately comic and fiery debate — punctuated by several lawmakers waving pompons — the state House on Tuesday approved a bill to restrict "overtly sexually suggestive" cheerleading to more ladylike performances.
    The bill would give the state education commissioner authority to request that school districts review high school performances.

"Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them, and that's not right," said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
    Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. "Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it," he said.

The bill passed on a 65-56 vote. It still must be approved by the Senate and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

One critic questioned the legislation's priorities.

"Have we done anything about stem cell research to help people who are dying and are sick advance their health? No," said Democratic Rep. Senfronia Thompson. "Have we done anything about the mentally ill, school finance or ethics?"

The American Civil Liberties Union said the measure was unnecessary because state law already prohibits public lewdness by students on or near a school campus.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: What kind of cheerleaders do they have in TX?

It's much easier to "fix" things like this in the state's schools than invest time, effort and compromise in fixing the state's abysmal school finance system. :thumbdown
    /r/reds

Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
    And I thought sex was the cause of teenage pregnancies and STDs. Silly me...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    It's much easier to "fix" things like this in the state's schools than invest time, effort and compromise in fixing the state's abysmal school finance system. :thumbdown
    Isn't the motto in Texas..."At least we're not Mississippi!"?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

How come Texas produces such great music and such dumb politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    How come Texas produces such great music and such dumb politicians?
    Wow...just like that. A lighthearted thread about TX cheerleaders immediately morphs into--we can only assume by your vagueness--a George Bush bashing opportunity. Well done.

Unless of course, you were ONLY referring to the TX State Representatives. If that was case, then one thousand pardons coming your way...
    Last edited by Blimpie; 05-04-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Given the context of Mutaman's comment, I don't think it's safe to necessarily assume he was referring to George Bush. I took it that he was referring to the folks who passed this particular law.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Given the context of Mutaman's comment, I don't think it's safe to necessarily assume he was referring to George Bush. I took it that he was referring to the folks who passed this particular law.
    You're right, Macro. I thought better of my phrasing and edited my post. Apologies if I jumped the gun....

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.
    Apparently you skipped from age 12 right to age 20.

/just kidding, I agree with your point.

GL

Wow, who knew all it would take to stop all of the above is to "outlaw" suggestive cheerleading moves?

The idea that cheerleaders shaking their butts = pregnancies, dropouts and STDs is laughable, IMO.

I can't believe the lawmakers even found this bill worthy of their time. Is nothing else going on Texas that they have time to worry about something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Wow...just like that. A lighthearted thread about TX cheerleaders immediately morphs into--we can only assume by your vagueness--a George Bush bashing opportunity. Well done.

Unless of course, you were ONLY referring to the TX State Representatives. If that was case, then one thousand pardons coming your way...
    You'll never know will you. Interesting I mention "dumb politicians" and you immediatly think of our current president. I mean it could have been his daddy, or good old Tom Delay, or for you old folks , John Tower. Lots of possibilities. But the state has also produced:

Buddy Holly
    Lightnin' Hopkins
    Alejandro Excovedo
    Charlie Sexton
    Double Trouble
    The Derailers
    Johnny Winter
    SRV
    Albert Collins
    Freddie King
    The Fabulous Thunderbirds
    Waylon Jennings
    Guy Clark
    Willie Nelson
    Townes Van Zandt

Not to forget that guy we traded for Milt Pappas.
    etc, etc.

So its about a wash.
    Hope thats lighthearted enough , you all.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 05-04-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Turn Off Ads?