Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft Opinions

Re: Draft Opinions

Bay's arm problems are a "bruise" and he was starting to swing yesterday. FWIW Preston Wilson projects poorly I'd dump him since you don't need a true CF in your league. Multiple utility slots means more hitters, Calvin Pickering will mash it more than Wilson. Matsui K's alot and that will count against you, as does Bay, Wilson, Hafner and Dunn, Matsui also struggled against RH's last year. You could reduce your team K's by losing Wilson and getting a 2nd baseman to spilt time with Matsui, reducing his K's and boosting your 2nd base numbers at the same time.

Your pitching looks solid

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know how a healthy Preston Wilson could project poorly. Colorado is Colorado, and he'll rack up the counting stats. He'll be around .300-35-100 with 15 steals. His only problem will be his K's in roto leagues.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I don't know how a healthy Preston Wilson could project poorly. Colorado is Colorado, and he'll rack up the counting stats. He'll be around .300-35-100 with 15 steals. His only problem will be his K's in roto leagues.
    If he's healthy I guess is the key

FWIW PECOTA has him at .273/.347/.497 and only 12 VORP.

Yea, not real sure on Bay or Wilson. I could dump them both and pick up two of Nevin, Broussard, and Jason Giambi. Even though Giambi is "damaged" I'm still guessing he puts up decent counting stats in that lineup. He draws more BB as well. I think Broussard will have a good season, and almost took him instead of Bay or Wilson anyway. I think I want to hold onto Preston to see how he does the first couple weeks. I could also dump Kaz Matsui and pick up Tony Womack. I was thinking Kaz would go .280/20/85/25 this year, though and Womack won't be close to that.

Would you guys trade Kevin Brown or Cliff Lee for a closer like Guillermo Mota?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-24-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

There are no bench spots in our league, so I can't "rotate" players. They are all in my active lineup. So a "platoon" of players doesn't work in this league. They both are in my active lineup, doesn't matter which position I have them in, they all count the same.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I could probably swing a Kevin Brown + Preston Wilson for Jose Reyes and Guillermo Mota trade with the team that auto drafted 6 closers. He needs SP bad, although I'm not real thrilled with Reyes' discipline at the plate.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Would you guys trade Kevin Brown or Cliff Lee for a closer like Guillermo Mota?
    Yes, in an instant. Offer Lee first, then Brown.

I'm pro-Preston Wilson (Colorado is Colorado), so I'd hang onto him.

FWIW PECOTA has him at .273/.347/.497 and only 12 VORP.
    Those numbers are probably pretty accurate, but they don't include his counting stats (R, RBI) or SB potential.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-24-2005 at 12:24 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Yes, in an instant. Offer Lee first, then Brown.

I'm pro-Preston Wilson (Colorado is Colorado), so I'd hang onto him.

Those numbers are probably pretty accurate, but they don't include his counting stats (R, RBI) or SB potential.
    I sent an email to the guy that has Mota, and asked him what he'd want for him. I'll post back when I get a response.

I agree that I need to shed some K's.

I also, am pro-Preston. He could put up huge counting stats, if healthy. I think I'll give it a month or so to see if he is before I drop him.

Should I go ahead and drop Bay for Giambi, Nevin, or Broussard? Problem is, those three guys K a lot, too, although they walk more on average. I could also pick up someone like Luis Gonzalez, he doesn't K as much, but will he put up numbers similar to what Bay will? He's getting up there in age.

To further reduce K's, I could drop Matsui and pick up Womack, but does that hurt me more than it helps me?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-24-2005 at 12:55 PM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I sent an email to the guy that has Mota, and asked him what he'd want for him. I'll post back when I get a response.

I agree that I need to shed some K's.

I also, am pro-Preston. He could put up huge counting stats, if healthy. I think I'll give it a month or so to see if he is before I drop him.

Should I go ahead and drop Bay for Giambi, Nevin, or Broussard?

To further reduce K's, I could drop Matsui and pick up Womack, but does that hurt me more than it helps me?
    Keep Matsui, with a year under his belt in the US he could surprise, you could always see what happens in the K department, the other numbers might be good enough to suffer with those.

What about Bay? Should I keep him as well? Or should I pick up another player for him? I like his .908 OPS, but I don't know how much this injury is going to hold him back. I also don't know much about him and really haven't seen him play to know how good he is, or could be. I think Broussard is going to take the same leap that Hafner took last year. Do you think he will, and do you think he'll be better than Bay? They have him penciled in the 7th spot in Cleveland, which could hurt him, but that's where he hit most of last year if IIRC, and he put up .275/17/82/4 with an .858 OPS.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Bay over BB, he'll slug higher and have the same BA/OB range. Bay will be the middle of the order guy for the Pirates so he should get what RBI's there are.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Bay over BB, he'll slug higher and have the same BA/OB range. Bay will be the middle of the order guy for the Pirates so he should get what RBI's there are.
    So my offense is pretty set right now. I'll be putting Berkman on the DL when the Astros actually put him on the DL, and I will pick up a 2B to use there until Kaz Matsui establishes eligibility.

Another option I just saw is 2B Ray Durham. He doesn't K that much and is consistently above .280 avg with 15 HR, and 10 SB. I could drop Matsui for him. What are your thoughts on that? I mainly liked Kaz Matsui's chances for improvement this year because he'll be hitting in front of Beltran, and behind Reyes. So if Reyes gets on base (and stays healthy), and with Beltran behind him, he should see PLENTY of fastballs to hit, which I would think, would help him.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I had both Durham and matsui last year, Durham burned me with injuries, I like Matsui better, he'll get you more steals than Durham at his age, IMO.

Yea, I think I spent a 5th round pick on Durham 2 years ago, and he was constantly hurt and didn't produce crap. Thanks again for all your help, woy.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What do you think of this trade?

I give: SP Kevin Brown and SP Cliff Lee

I get: RP Chad Cordero and SP Dontrelle Willis.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?