Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

Nothing takes place in an instant. I wouldn't care if it took 10 years or 100. find em and melt them for scrap.

I have yet to hear a rational explanation for legally owning a machine gun.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Tougher laws. Use a gun to commit a crime:

* Trigger is pulled = Life w/out parole (unless you get the death penalty).
    * Trigger is not pulled = 20 years in prison.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO DO? WHY NOT DO IT?

Is it b/c we need to give some fool who uses a gun to commit a crime a 2nd chance? How many victims of gun violence get a 2nd chance?

Get caught with an illegal (non-registered) gun on your person:

* 1st offense = 10 years in prison.
    * 2nd offense = Life w/out parole.

I do not like or own guns. I do not think that we should ban all guns. I think we need to be tougher with sentencing guidelines. Use a gun... pay the price. Why not? Punish those who deserve it... not law-abiding citizens who are gun owners. Build bigger and more prisons if necessary. Make people who collect welfare work at these prisons to EARN that money.

no guns might = no gun deaths, but that still doesnt mean no deaths.

if I wanted to kill someone, I could kill them with or without a gun.

I could run someone over with a car, blow someone up with bomb, smash someone up with a bat, cut someones throat with a knife etc....

Also just because a school has a guard or metal detector doesnt mean you cant get a gun inside. Is the guard going to stop someone coming in if that person is pointing a gun at there face?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

Better start approving tax levies to build more prisons.

The USA already has a higher percentage of its citizens incarcerated than any other country in the world. Introducing 'mandatory sentencing' in drug cases caused prison populations to explode in the 80s/90s. The american penal system is now so overcrowded that they are being forced to parole violent offenders in order to accomodate the mandatory sentences of drug offenders.

Instituting similar laws in gun cases would just compound the overcrowding and early parole problem. Unless, of course, you are willing to fund a new prison in your neighborhood. Unfortunately , the folks crying "lock 'em up" are all too often the same people people saying "but not on my dime and not in my community".
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-22-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Gun control is an issue that I can honestly say I am middle of the road on. I see absolutley great points to both sides. So Im not really going to argue about it with anyone. I will however discuss the original topic of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Tougher laws. Use a gun to commit a crime:

Is it b/c we need to give some fool who uses a gun to commit a crime a 2nd chance? How many victims of gun violence get a 2nd chance?

Get caught with an illegal (non-registered) gun on your person:

* 1st offense = 10 years in prison.
    * 2nd offense = Life w/out parole.

I do not like or own guns. I do not think that we should ban all guns. I think we need to be tougher with sentencing guidelines. Use a gun... pay the price. Why not? Punish those who deserve it... not law-abiding citizens who are gun owners. Build bigger and more prisons if necessary. Make people who collect welfare work at these prisons to EARN that money.
    Why is it so hard to do? Okay, I'll take a stab at that one. At the risk of oversimplification:

Where exactly do you plan to put these people?

Most prisions are ridiculously overcrowded and that is because it far too expensive to keep building them. If your answer is, "Build 'em anyway," then you need to say how you intend to accomplish that task ($$$$). It's really more of the "catch and release" program in this country. As it stands now, we ALREADY let too many convicts out that are not rehabilitated. Have you looked at the rate of recidivism for federal prisioners? It's usually hovering around 90%. The net effect of your plan will be to prematurely parole, say, a registered sex offender to make room for your fellow who just got popped for "having (not murdering with) an unregistered gun--1st offense." He will now need you to find him a bed for his new ten year hitch you just gave him...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192

The USA already has a higher percentage of its citizens incarcerated than any other country in the world. Introducing 'mandatory sentencing' in drug cases caused prison populations to explode in the 80s/90s. The american penal system is now so overcrowded that they are being forced to parole violent offenders in order to accomodate the mandatory sentences of drug offenders.

Instituting similar laws in gun cases would just compound the overcrowding and early parole problem. Unless, of course, you are willing to fund a new prison in your neighborhood. Unfortunately , the folks crying "lock 'em up" are all too often the same people people saying "but not on my dime and not in my community".
    So your answer is, "Aw, to Heck with it, we don't have anyplace to put 'em. Might as well let 'em keep shootin' up the joint?"

Sorry, Steve. I didn't mean to regurgitate your post. You beat me to it. :gac:

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Sorry, Steve. I didn't mean to regurgitate your post. You beat me to it. :gac:
    That's alright. I liked your fishing analogy better than my explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    So your answer is, "Aw, to Heck with it, we don't have anyplace to put 'em. Might as well let 'em keep shootin' up the joint?"
    No, but I'm not going to condone some half-arsed political solution that will not work in the real world.

The first thing I'd do is repeal all mandatory sentencing laws. They are nothing more than a band-aid political solution to issues that politicians don't know how to deal with. I'd then get about the business of paroling non-violoent offenders to make room for murderers and rapists.

The second thing I'd do is legalize drugs. That would seriously impact the amount of violent crime associated with the illegal production and distribution of drugs. I'd 'sin tax' the living crap out of the drugs and use the proceeds to fund rehab/recovery programs for users.

As a result, I'd have a lot more prison space available to make sure violent offenders actually serve their sentences. As an added bonus, law enforcement would be freed up to deal with violent criminals rather than wasting their time enforcing the modern equivalent of prohibition.

The second thing I'd do is legalize drugs. That would seriously impact the amount of violent crime associated with the illegal production and distribution of drugs. I'd 'sin tax' the living crap out of the drugs and use the proceeds to fund rehab/recovery programs for users.
    The problem is if you "sin tax" them hard, the black market will sell them illegally. This is already a problem with cigarettes.

I don't know what the answer is to the drug problem. Maybe some degree of legalization would work, I don't know, but it's a complicated problem. If you could take the people who chose to use them and put them in isolation where they couldn't impact the lives of people who chose not to use them.. then I'm fine with that.. but already there's a problem with our airline pilots, nurses, etc using them when they're illegal. And some of them are very addictive.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    The problem is if you "sin tax" them hard, the black market will sell them illegally. This is already a problem with cigarettes.
    You can buy black market cigarrettes? Where the hell at? Im tired of paying almost 4 bucks a pack!

For a Level Playing Field

I am learning to not argue with Liberal ideas.

Peace!!
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-22-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Not in one sitting.

Unless you're Brock Samson.
    define sitting...it'd be a whole lot easier to just take out strays in the hall for 40 minutes and leave than it would be to go into a room and start shootin.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    You can buy black market cigarrettes? Where the hell at? Im tired of paying almost 4 bucks a pack!
    any public school.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?