Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

  1. #31
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Nothing takes place in an instant. I wouldn't care if it took 10 years or 100. find em and melt them for scrap.

    I have yet to hear a rational explanation for legally owning a machine gun.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Tougher laws. Use a gun to commit a crime:

    * Trigger is pulled = Life w/out parole (unless you get the death penalty).
    * Trigger is not pulled = 20 years in prison.

    WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO DO? WHY NOT DO IT?

    Is it b/c we need to give some fool who uses a gun to commit a crime a 2nd chance? How many victims of gun violence get a 2nd chance?

    Get caught with an illegal (non-registered) gun on your person:

    * 1st offense = 10 years in prison.
    * 2nd offense = Life w/out parole.

    I do not like or own guns. I do not think that we should ban all guns. I think we need to be tougher with sentencing guidelines. Use a gun... pay the price. Why not? Punish those who deserve it... not law-abiding citizens who are gun owners. Build bigger and more prisons if necessary. Make people who collect welfare work at these prisons to EARN that money.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  4. #33
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,719

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    no guns might = no gun deaths, but that still doesnt mean no deaths.

    if I wanted to kill someone, I could kill them with or without a gun.

    I could run someone over with a car, blow someone up with bomb, smash someone up with a bat, cut someones throat with a knife etc....

    Also just because a school has a guard or metal detector doesnt mean you cant get a gun inside. Is the guard going to stop someone coming in if that person is pointing a gun at there face?

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    * Trigger is pulled = Life w/out parole (unless you get the death penalty).
    * Trigger is not pulled = 20 years in prison.

    WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO DO? WHY NOT DO IT?
    Better start approving tax levies to build more prisons.

    The USA already has a higher percentage of its citizens incarcerated than any other country in the world. Introducing 'mandatory sentencing' in drug cases caused prison populations to explode in the 80s/90s. The american penal system is now so overcrowded that they are being forced to parole violent offenders in order to accomodate the mandatory sentences of drug offenders.

    Instituting similar laws in gun cases would just compound the overcrowding and early parole problem. Unless, of course, you are willing to fund a new prison in your neighborhood. Unfortunately , the folks crying "lock 'em up" are all too often the same people people saying "but not on my dime and not in my community".
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-22-2005 at 02:28 PM.

  6. #35
    Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bexley OH
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Gun control is an issue that I can honestly say I am middle of the road on. I see absolutley great points to both sides. So Im not really going to argue about it with anyone. I will however discuss the original topic of the thread.

  7. #36
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,900

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Tougher laws. Use a gun to commit a crime:

    * Trigger is pulled = Life w/out parole (unless you get the death penalty).
    * Trigger is not pulled = 20 years in prison.

    WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO DO? WHY NOT DO IT?

    Is it b/c we need to give some fool who uses a gun to commit a crime a 2nd chance? How many victims of gun violence get a 2nd chance?

    Get caught with an illegal (non-registered) gun on your person:

    * 1st offense = 10 years in prison.
    * 2nd offense = Life w/out parole.

    I do not like or own guns. I do not think that we should ban all guns. I think we need to be tougher with sentencing guidelines. Use a gun... pay the price. Why not? Punish those who deserve it... not law-abiding citizens who are gun owners. Build bigger and more prisons if necessary. Make people who collect welfare work at these prisons to EARN that money.
    Why is it so hard to do? Okay, I'll take a stab at that one. At the risk of oversimplification:

    Where exactly do you plan to put these people?

    Most prisions are ridiculously overcrowded and that is because it far too expensive to keep building them. If your answer is, "Build 'em anyway," then you need to say how you intend to accomplish that task ($$$$). It's really more of the "catch and release" program in this country. As it stands now, we ALREADY let too many convicts out that are not rehabilitated. Have you looked at the rate of recidivism for federal prisioners? It's usually hovering around 90%. The net effect of your plan will be to prematurely parole, say, a registered sex offender to make room for your fellow who just got popped for "having (not murdering with) an unregistered gun--1st offense." He will now need you to find him a bed for his new ten year hitch you just gave him...

  8. #37
    Member Red Heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Better start approving tax levies to build more prisons.

    The USA already has a higher percentage of its citizens incarcerated than any other country in the world. Introducing 'mandatory sentencing' in drug cases caused prison populations to explode in the 80s/90s. The american penal system is now so overcrowded that they are being forced to parole violent offenders in order to accomodate the mandatory sentences of drug offenders.

    Instituting similar laws in gun cases would just compound the overcrowding and early parole problem. Unless, of course, you are willing to fund a new prison in your neighborhood. Unfortunately , the folks crying "lock 'em up" are all too often the same people people saying "but not on my dime and not in my community".
    So your answer is, "Aw, to Heck with it, we don't have anyplace to put 'em. Might as well let 'em keep shootin' up the joint?"

  9. #38
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,900

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Better start approving tax levies to build more prisons.

    The USA already has a higher percentage of its citizens incarcerated than any other country in the world. Introducing 'mandatory sentencing' in drug cases caused prison populations to explode in the 80s/90s. The american penal system is now so overcrowded that they are being forced to parole violent offenders in order to accomodate the mandatory sentences of drug offenders.

    Instituting similar laws in gun cases would just compound the overcrowding and early parole problem. Unless, of course, you are willing to fund a new prison in your neighborhood. Unfortunately , the folks crying "lock 'em up" are all too often the same people people saying "but not on my dime and not in my community".
    Sorry, Steve. I didn't mean to regurgitate your post. You beat me to it. :gac:

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Sorry, Steve. I didn't mean to regurgitate your post. You beat me to it. :gac:
    That's alright. I liked your fishing analogy better than my explanation.

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    So your answer is, "Aw, to Heck with it, we don't have anyplace to put 'em. Might as well let 'em keep shootin' up the joint?"
    No, but I'm not going to condone some half-arsed political solution that will not work in the real world.

    The first thing I'd do is repeal all mandatory sentencing laws. They are nothing more than a band-aid political solution to issues that politicians don't know how to deal with. I'd then get about the business of paroling non-violoent offenders to make room for murderers and rapists.

    The second thing I'd do is legalize drugs. That would seriously impact the amount of violent crime associated with the illegal production and distribution of drugs. I'd 'sin tax' the living crap out of the drugs and use the proceeds to fund rehab/recovery programs for users.

    As a result, I'd have a lot more prison space available to make sure violent offenders actually serve their sentences. As an added bonus, law enforcement would be freed up to deal with violent criminals rather than wasting their time enforcing the modern equivalent of prohibition.

  12. #41
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,345

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    The second thing I'd do is legalize drugs. That would seriously impact the amount of violent crime associated with the illegal production and distribution of drugs. I'd 'sin tax' the living crap out of the drugs and use the proceeds to fund rehab/recovery programs for users.
    .
    The problem is if you "sin tax" them hard, the black market will sell them illegally. This is already a problem with cigarettes.

    I don't know what the answer is to the drug problem. Maybe some degree of legalization would work, I don't know, but it's a complicated problem. If you could take the people who chose to use them and put them in isolation where they couldn't impact the lives of people who chose not to use them.. then I'm fine with that.. but already there's a problem with our airline pilots, nurses, etc using them when they're illegal. And some of them are very addictive.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  13. #42
    Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bexley OH
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    The problem is if you "sin tax" them hard, the black market will sell them illegally. This is already a problem with cigarettes.
    You can buy black market cigarrettes? Where the hell at? Im tired of paying almost 4 bucks a pack!

  14. #43
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    I am learning to not argue with Liberal ideas.

    Peace!!
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-22-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  15. #44
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Not in one sitting.

    Unless you're Brock Samson.
    define sitting...it'd be a whole lot easier to just take out strays in the hall for 40 minutes and leave than it would be to go into a room and start shootin.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  16. #45
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

    Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    You can buy black market cigarrettes? Where the hell at? Im tired of paying almost 4 bucks a pack!
    any public school.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25