Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

Re: 10 Killed in Minnesota School Shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    If guns kill people....
    Then I blame my pencil for spelling errors...

just a thought.
    Well that's the second dumbest arguement.

The pencil is a writing tool. not a spell check tool.

a gun is a weapon only.

once again, gun right's activist make bad comparisons to simply argue a simple fact. "I like guns, so i should keep them."
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The very purpose of a Constitution IS to provide rigidity; it safeguards the rights of citizens from being stripped away on the emotional whims of the majority

Edit: BTW, it's amendment, not ammendment
    Thanks, my misspelling completely negated my arguement. how stupid of me. :allovrjr:

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Former WWF Tag Team Champion Dino Bravo was involved in the Canadian cig blackmarket. Got whacked too, right out of the Sopranos.
    Well, that's a big help. Dino Bravo's dead so that doesn't help these folks wanting to buy cigs on the black market out much, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF

The pencil is a writing tool. not a spell check tool.

a gun is a weapon only.

once again, gun right's activist make bad comparisons to simply argue a simple fact. "I like guns, so i should keep them."
    So by your logic, guns walk around by themselves, shooting people by themselves all the time? If thats the case, then screw guns, I hate them, shady bastards.

But if I remember correctly, It takes a finger to pull the trigger of a gun, and that finger must be controlled by a brain, the same brain that controls thought process, the same brain that recognizes morals and values, the same brain that houses the knowledge that was given by its parents and teachers, the same brain that practices restraint, the same brain that tells me maybe it isnt a good idea to kick the crap out the moron that cut me off on the freeway this morning. the same brain that knows that taking another human beings life is wrong.

jeez, I didnt think I would have to explain myself that in-depth.

I understand your points. I am not a gun user, probably never will be, but I do think it is ridiculous that we take accountability away from the parties responsible for killings, and place it upon the lifeless, inanimate object that was used for the killing.

Say they were cutting down a tree in your backyard, and the tree fell on your house? who do you charge the damage to, the lumberjack? or the tree? Absurd, isnt it?

Who gets paid for fixing your car? The mechanic? or the socket-wrench?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    The automobile thing always gets tossed out there Reds4Life and it's a ridiculous comparison unless you honestly think guns have the same profound positive impact on society that automobiles do.
    Guns do have a positive impact on society. They help enforce our laws, defend our freedoms and are a legitimate hobby for millions of Americans. A gun is a tool, it can be used for good or evil, but that function is determined entirely by the user, NOT the object itself.

The automobile comparison is not useless. The Center for Disease Control did a study of firearms in 2001 and found you are 53 times more likely to die in an automobile accident than by being shot. By the rational “if it can hurt people, ban it” then we should have banned cars a long time ago.

You mean like your argument, "I don't like guns so nobody should have them and we should repeal the 2nd amendment"?
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 03-23-2005 at 01:58 PM.

The dumbest, of course, being that taking away guns will somehow quell the violence in this country.

Shooting deaths are byproducts of an unhealthy culture, a society that places far too much value on machismo and has an unhealthy fascination with making yourself look good by tearing down another.

You've got to treat the cause, not the symptom.

Until then you're just tilting at windmills if you think banning personal firearms is going to solve anything.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Man I hope Redsfaithul / Rojo are reading this thread. After some of the political dust-ups I had with those guys, they'll get a kick out of seeing me called out as a bastion of liberal ideas.
    I am reading and I almost completely agree with your diagnosis. I say "almost" because I would treat legalization on a drug-by-drug basis.

And, FWIW, the gun issue doesn't animate me much. Like a good liberal, I think some common-sense regulations (waiting periods, no assault weapons, etc.) help. But, I remember reading that when America's non-gun violence is compared to other nation's non-gun voilence, the multiple remains the same. In other words we stab and club people way more than anyone else. Micheal Moore had it right in Bowling for Columbine. Its the culture of fear and mistrust. And that's largely political.

The Constitution is supposed to be a living document subject to being amended. The second Amendment while necessary in the 1700's is not necessary today.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    The dumbest, of course, being that taking away guns will somehow quell the violence in this country.

Shooting deaths are byproducts of an unhealthy culture, a society that places far too much value on machismo and has an unhealthy fascination with making yourself look good by tearing down another.

You've got to treat the cause, not the symptom.

Until then you're just tilting at windmills if you think banning personal firearms is going to solve anything.
    Never said it would quell violence.

I only said it would stop gun deaths.

When was the last time someone climbed a clocktower and started picking people of with a club?

How many kids would have been killed in Minnesota had that kid had no access to guns?

Maybe he would have still killed 1-2. maybe 3 even. no way he gets 10.

Guns do have a positive impact on society. They help enforce our laws, defend our freedoms and are a legitimate hobby for millions of Americans. A gun is a tool, it can be used for good or evil, but that function is determined entirely by the user, NOT the object itself.
    Guns in the hands of police and military, I get that.

A legitimate hobby? please. yes a gun is a tool. to kill something. A scredriver is a tool too, but i don't saw wood with it.

How many kids would have been killed in Minnesota had that kid had no access to guns?

Maybe he would have still killed 1-2. maybe 3 even. no way he gets 10.
    There is no way you can say that, you just dont know.. If someone wants to do a mass killing, they will do it, regardless of how they need to get it done.

Perhaps without guns this kid could have used bombs, with that there could have been even more casualties.

or perhaps poison gas.

or maybe arson.

I dont know why it is so hard to understand that this isnt about the tool being used, its about the people using them.

The Constitution is supposed to be a living document subject to being amended. The second Amendment while necessary in the 1700's is not necessary today.
    Nobody in their right mind believes that any citizen with enough money should be able to own a nuclear weapon. Yet, as an armament, nuclear weapons should be protected under the second amendment. Why are other types of armaments held so sacred?

In truth, I really don't have any problem with gun ownership, per se. However, I do think that extremely strict licensing laws are necessary. In addition, I think that guns should have to be kept under lock and key except when in use. Gun owners who allow their guns to fall into the hands of those who would use them to commit a crime should be held just as responsible as the person who uses that gun. The penalties for violating these laws should be very stiff.

I dont know why it is so hard to understand that this isnt about the tool being used, its about the people using them.
    Because solving one is infinitely easier than solving the other, and for the most part, this country is lazy.

We like our bread and circuses, and woe betide the one who tells us they're not good for us.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

There is no way you can say that, you just dont know.. If someone wants to do a mass killing, they will do it, regardless of how they need to get it done.

Perhaps without guns this kid could have used bombs, with that there could have been even more casualties.

or perhaps poison gas.

or maybe arson.

What purpose does a gun serve other than to kill something?

Turn Off Ads?