Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I thought Diet Coke had been invented already...?

I thought Diet Coke had been invented already...?

Coke will debut a new version of Coca-Cola this summer - one with NO CALORIES! Amazing! Coke with no calories? You've got to be kidding?!

Oh, wait, they did that, like, over twenty years ago! Forgive me for over the release of Coca-Cola Zero. Is this really a "new option for cola lovers"?

------------------------------------------------------

Coca-Cola Announces Plans to Launch Coca-Cola Zero
    Monday March 21, 11:10 am ET
    Real Coca-Cola Taste With Zero Calories Offers New Option For Cola Lovers

ATLANTA, March 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Coca-Cola North America today announced that it will introduce Coca-Cola Zero, a new zero-calorie cola, in the United States in June."Coca-Cola Zero is exactly what young adults told us they wanted -- real Coca-Cola taste, zero calories and a new brand they can call their own," said Dan Dillon, vice president, Diet Portfolio, Coca-Cola North America. "Young people today do not want to compromise on flavor or calories and we think Coca-Cola Zero's taste and personality will appeal to them."

Coca-Cola Zero will be supported by an extensive marketing campaign including television, radio, print, and out-of-home advertising, on-line activation, and sampling programs. "Coca-Cola Zero's personality will be different than any of our other brands, and our marketing will reflect that with some fresh ideas we haven't tried before," said Christine Holland, director of marketing, Coca-Cola Zero. Further details on marketing plans will be made available closer to the introduction.

For the curious who can't wait until June for their first taste of Coca-Cola Zero, a special Coca-Cola Zero sample pack will be listed on eBay, the World's Online Marketplace, in early April. All proceeds from the listing will be donated to charity. The sample pack will come with six unique bottles of Coca-Cola Zero and limited edition Coca-Cola Zero-branded premiums. The charity auction marks the first time The Coca-Cola Company has offered any new product on eBay prior to launching it nationally. For further information on the charity auction visit the Coca-Cola Zero website at www.cocacolazero.com .

Coca-Cola Zero will be sweetened with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame potassium (ace-k), and will be available in a broad range of package sizes. The launch of Coca-Cola Zero will have no impact on Coca-Cola North America's ongoing support for Diet Coke, America's #1 diet soft drink, as the target audiences are different.

The launch of Coca-Cola Zero continues a year of innovation for Coca-Cola North America, including a range of new product offerings across all beverage categories. Full Throttle energy drink, Coca-Cola with Lime, and Dasani Lemon and Dasani Raspberry flavored waters have already been launched, with Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda as well as Coca-Cola Zero slated for later this year, as well as new packaging for POWERade.

The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's best-known brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees and sports drinks. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1 billion servings each day.

For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, please visit our website at www.coca-cola.com .

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I thought Diet Coke had been invented already...?

Diet Coke actually has a bit less than 1 kilocalorie in it. So this is a breakthrough.
    Last edited by Larkin Fan; 03-23-2005 at 12:08 AM.

Coca-Cola is getting slaughtered right now in the cola wars. Pepsi is vastly superior to Coke when it comes to marketing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a Level Playing Field

I always thought that TAB was the original Diet Coke. I used to say, back in the day before there was a Diet Coke, that if Coke had a diet soda it would probably taste like TAB.

Since I have had to drink diet sodas for most of my life, I have tried 'em all. When I first became diabetic, there was only TAB and Fresca. Man, you want to talk about bad times for diabetics! Nasty stuff... both of them. The greatest day of my life at that time was when my mother discovered Diet Faygo (multi flavors, like the green FROSH). Then Pepsi came out w/ Diet Pepsi. I felt like the big war with Japan had been won all over again! It made me wonder at the time why the big-time Coca-Cola didn't have their own diet drink (since their #1 competitor came out with one). I swear it seemed like 10 years, after the introduction of Diet Pepsi, before Coca-Cola finally came out with their Diet Coke. I am a Diet Pepsi drinker. I do not really care for the Diet Coke product... reminds me of TAB. Mental scars from my youth, I guess!

Make for an interesting college business thesis... why did Coca-Cola wait so long to bring out Diet Coke (esp. after Pepsi brought their Diet Pepsi version out)?

Any-ol-how... more soda in the world. The Amer. Dental Assoc. rejoices at the thought of making more money when they have to fill all those cavities. The people getting cavities won't be as overweight, but their teeth will be rotting all the same.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi!!!!!!!!!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

"Young people today do not want to compromise on flavor or calories..."

Translation: Young people today don't care for the bitter-tasting, fake-sweet mess that is Diet Coke. They're drinking Diet Pepsi instead.

Can you guess which one I prefer?
    /r/reds

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi?

I love Fresca. I can drink that suff all day; it's probably my favorite soda

coca cola has always been my favorite...so much so, that i became a stockholder in the company...but now that i'm older, i switched to diet coke...well, actually diet cherry coke and diet vanilla coke...i usually only get regular diet coke when i go to a restaurant...

i've tried the c2 brand...didn't think it was too bad, but if i'm going to drink low calorie pop, i might as well drink flavored diet and save all the calories...i'm kind of excited about the prospects of a no calorie version of coke, although something tells me it will taste more like pepsi, which i just can't stomach...don't even get me started on diet pepsi... :thumbdown

Turn Off Ads?