Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Returning from the Winter (and the UK)

Re: Returning from the Winter (and the UK)

Sorry about the pup.

Glad you're getting a new guy who needs your love.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    The two strikers and leading goal scorers for Wigan, Roberts and Ellington, are black. Not sure of their birth country though. I had a discussion with my boss about race relations. He did not see it as a real blatant problem presently, but thought as many of us do here in the US, that there is still an undercurrent of some sadly prejudiced people, but they tend to not display their stupidity in a big public scene such as a futball game anymore.
    Racism is no longer a problem at English football games . I have been a season ticket holder for Sheffield Wednesday since 1989 & cannot remember many incidents of racism. It was pretty bad in the 70's & early 80's but the game cleaned up it's act with a "let's kick racism out of football" campaign.

There was a incident at the Spain v England game in Madrid a few months ago whenever Englands only black player on the pitch Shaun Wright-Phillips touched the ball a large section of spanish fans made monkey noise's at him. This caused outrage throughout the Country & Spain were fined a large sum of money and were warned about there International future within the game.

Ellington & Roberts are both English but Roberts might be eligible to play for Jamaica due to his Grandparents birthplace.

For a Level Playing Field

RFA - I did not sample the ale at the stadium (unlike me, but recall the nature of my trip!) so I cannot tell. What is the reference to google (maybe I am being dense here - is it in the pictures I posted?
    Oh, nothing about the pics (they are great)! I was making fun of myself for not looking up the structure of the English leagues on Google.

Thanks to dsmith and RawOwlUK providing better answers to the questions than I could have possibly given from my two week stint across the pond!

My boss from the UK is visiting me here in the states right now. He aims to be back home for Saturday's match and has filled me in on the race for the top 2 spots. Yes they were playing Ipswich Town when I visited. I believe those 2 and Sunderland are in a 3 way battle.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Thanks creek. Parker is working out very well. In many ways he acts as tho' he had lived with us forever. Still weird to have a golden around but it is not Sun....

RFA66 - See, I was being dense! I could have looked it up before my (non)answer to you too!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Yes they were playing Ipswich Town when I visited.
    Well Ipswich Play Rotherham United (my town ) next week . I hope Ipswich stuff them and send them down. Rotherham fans hate Wednesday with a passion

I have nothing to add, except to say I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall from 1993 to 1997. I enjoyed the country, but the food was downright awful : (with the exception of Fish and Chips).

with plenty of salt & vinager right ?

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    with plenty of salt & vinager right ?
    You like that England W today?

Well I went to the game tonight just got back from a 2 hour train journey after 8 hours of drinking. Azerbaijan put up a decent fight in the first half without causing England any trouble at all. Second half England scored 2 fine goals through Gerrard & Beckham . Beckham was fantastic second half and got a standing ovation when he was substitued.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    Well I went to the game tonight just got back from a 2 hour train journey after 8 hours of drinking. Azerbaijan put up a decent fight in the first half without causing England any trouble at all. Second half England scored 2 fine goals through Gerrard & Beckham . Beckham was fantastic second half and got a standing ovation when he was substitued.
    yeah I watched it on TV, Beckams chest/touch/shoot was beautiful thing to watch as was the 1st goal and the bounces it took to get in.

France certainly tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    France certainly tanked.

Can you imagine that.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Can you imagine that.
    Their offense has dizzapeered.. no?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Their offense has dizzapeered.. no?
    Thierry Henry is a magnificent player BUT he just does not produce in international football. France will now struggle to qualify for a place in the world cup.

Anyone see Austria's goal against Wales ? The Goalkeeper will be having nightmares about that one.

Turn Off Ads?