Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Re: The yard & garden line is OPEN

The little guy and I were out in the woods collecting black walnuts and acorns and other fun fall treasures.

I came across a nut that I'm not sure what it is.

It's smaller than a black walnut and bumpy/bristly.

The unhusked nut looks a little like the ones in this picture, but that's not it. The leaf is large like a Maple, but not spearlike.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looks like a buckeye to me. Or some other kind of horse chestnut.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Sun Deck,

I'm about to lose 40' of my front yard to an ODOT road widening project. As it stands now, I am going to lose the following:

3 Austrian (Black) pines; all are at least 50' diameter and 30' tall
    1 Blue Spruce - 33' diameter and 20' tall
    1 Pin Oak - 40' diameter and 25' tall
    1 Pin Oak - 32' diameter and 20' tall.

Given these dimensions, do you have any idea of the compensation that I might receive for these trees? Thanks.

BTW, I'm in the Grove City area near the intersections of SR104 and SR665.
    Wow, that's a lot to lose. I think the best thing would be to have a couple of arborists take a look. I'm not sure exactly how compensation for trees is figured, whether it's just on the cost of replacing them or on the value they add at their present state of growth. If it's the latter, you have a lot of value sitting right there.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    The little guy and I were out in the woods collecting black walnuts and acorns and other fun fall treasures.

I came across a nut that I'm not sure what it is.

It's smaller than a black walnut and bumpy/bristly.

The unhusked nut looks a little like the ones in this picture, but that's not it. The leaf is large like a Maple, but not spearlike.
    Sweetgum? They have leaves that somewhat resemble a maple and bristly fruit. I've never cracked one to see what was inside.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Sweetgum? They have leaves that somewhat resemble a maple and bristly fruit. I've never cracked one to see what was inside.
    Maybe, not quite. The leaves still don't look right. I'm cracking that puppy open when I get home tonight.

I need to get a guide book sometime. I really enjoy meandering through the woods. I love showing TG stuff. I can't identify plants and trees to save my soul.

I found it, it's a sycamore!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I found it, it's a sycamore!
    Doh! Should have thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Wow, that's a lot to lose. I think the best thing would be to have a couple of arborists take a look. I'm not sure exactly how compensation for trees is figured, whether it's just on the cost of replacing them or on the value they add at their present state of growth. If it's the latter, you have a lot of value sitting right there.
    From what the appraiser said, it goes by the present state of growth. Thanks for the help and your response though.

Bump:
    Mid to Late Summer is the time of year when people finally take a look at their yard and realize that there are a lot of problems.

Send in your questions and I'll do the digging (figuratively, of course). As always, I will check this thread periodically, but there may be a day or two that go by when I'm not on the Board. I'll get to it, it may just not be with Krono like immediacy...

I have a buckhorn infestation. What should I be doing at this time of year? Should I just wait till fall, and then spring to deal with it?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    I have a buckhorn infestation. What should I be doing at this time of year? Should I just wait till fall, and then spring to deal with it?
    In SW Ohio and North Carolina where I worked Buckthorn is not really something that anyone has ever had contact with. However, in the states where it is common, it's doing the same thing that Chinese Honeysuckle is doing, say, in Ohio. Where are you?

Controlling it is tough- you can choose between controlling mechanically or chemically. Either way requires a prolonged effort. In your situation, the most responsible thing to do is to keep it from developing fruit. That's the stuff that birds eat and then poop out three miles away, which then establishes it somewhere else. So, now would be a good time (I think it sets fruit late) to prevent it from creating more seeds.

Basically, the message is to get at it and try to prevent seedlings. The mature plants need to be cut to the ground, but smaller ones can be yanked out of the ground. I am glad you are interested in this- invasive species like this can ruin the forest.

Here is more info on controlling it.

SunDeck I think you miss read my post I wrote Buckhorn, not Buckthorn.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weed...e2.asp?id=800#
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Doh! Lemme try again...stupid glasses, or attention span or brain!

Anyway, for Buckhorn Plantain (or Plantago lanceolata for those of us who prefer the exact name, which avoids the confusion we just went through and which allows me to sound like a real plant guy) and really for any Plantain you are facing a tough managment issue. If you are not into broadleaf herbicide (2-4-d) which is basically what all turfgrass fert/weedkillers use, then you can dig them out. If the infestation is minor, then digging is not a big deal.

You can apply herbicide right now, but I'm guessing you have a pretty well established plant and herbicides work best on young plants. And with Buckhorn Plantain, it's narrower leaves are less likely to hold onto the herbicide, so it may not be as effective.

The best answer is to manage early and often. Ever notice how soft Plantain leaves are when they are just coming up? The roots are shallow- you can pop 'em right out of the ground. Next year, get the buggers right when they start appearing, whether by herbicide or by pulling. For now, at the very least, don't let them go to seed. That's next year's problem and you can help yourself by prevention. Mow the stuff, or snap those seed heads off.

Lastly...Plantago is edible and often used in herbal medicine. So, you know, there's a potential dinner out there waiting for you.

SD,
    What do you hear and what do you think about the new grass seed out called "Thermal Blue", they speak of it as if it something that cures alot of yard woes. Supposedly it is superior to fescues and other blue grass, drought resistant and even stays healthy in shade. Is that true?

http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/thermal_blue.html
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-30-2006 at 12:50 PM.

A cool season grass is a cool season grass. Although it's not surprising to me that turf researchers are getting better drought and heat resistance out of cool season grasses, I stilly think it makes sense to use a variety in the lawn, a mixture of fescue, ryes and bluegrasses. The problem with using only one type of grass is that it's a monoculture, which is less resistant to specific pathogens, and environmental stresses.

Looks pretty cool though.

Turn Off Ads?