Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
River birches are not long lived, in the first place, so I wouldn't put too much effort into saving it. And they are not as valuable to your home value as are shade trees. Basically, they are planted in ornamental situations and outgrow that purpose.

I know it would be a bummer to lose the screen they provide, but I am doubtful that hacking off half the tree will "save" it. Trees don't generally work that way unless it has contracted diseases from the wounds caused by the damage you describe. It may be that this tree is just in a state of decline anyway. The first thing I thougt of was borers, but if you are sure they are not the prob. then I believe you. However, I have seen birches just crash and burn for no apparent reason.

Generally, smallish yellow leaves are a sign of stress. When it is localized, it's usually insect or disease. When it's systemic, such as one half or all of the tree declining at the same rate, it's usually environmental (ie, soil, cultural problems).

You could remove it and replace with another ornamental tree, or even another Rbirch.

Post a picture or two, maybe that will help.
SunDeck:

It is with a heavy heart that I accept your advice. From what you've described, it sounds like it's almost time to fire up the old chipper. Thanks for your help!

Blimpie