Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Re: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    A good time for putting in a lawn as well.
    This. My fescue got cooked this year. Baked beyond belief. We usually have about 20 days above 90 here. This summer, almost 70. Neighbor who also happens to do landscaping tilled up a section that was completely gone and leveled a few other low spots the other day. Will aerate & overseed at the end of the month & see what happens.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, we closing in on the time of year to have your furnace checked out by your favorite HVAC person. It always amazes me when someone's furnace conks out in the middle of winter (or AC in summer). When I ask how long it had been since it was serviced, I get answers like "I don't know" or "Never".

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK I need help guys. I have a critter that's digging holes in my yard. Large, deep holes. It started with one or two, and now I'm up to 8 holes. They are all within about a 7 square foot area. The largest one is about 12 inches in diameter and the smallest is about 3 inches or so in diameter. A few of these are deep too. Put a branch down in one and it went down probably close to two feet. There's no dirt on the surface either, just clean holes.

I thought it was chipmunks initially, but I haven't seen any and I think the holes are too big to be chipmunks. My other thought was possibly a groundhog, but I think a few of the holes are too small to be groundhogs. I also don't think they're moles because there's no tunnels popping up in the turf like you typically see with moles. Plus I think moles usually leave mounds of dirt on the surface. There's a creek about 60 yards away from the holes, not sure if it would be a water type creature.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Love this thread, it's been a big help. Anyway, about 8 days ago I aerated and dethathched my yard, planted some seed, and fertilized. THere's been some pretty heavy rain here in the Ohio Valley since that time, a couple of days with 2 inches or so. Then it's been in the 30s at night a couple times. I haven't seen any sprouting yet, and was wondering if this type of weather may prevent my grass from growing or if I should just be more patient. Suppose to be gorgeous the next seven days, so I am tempted to reseed now if people think it got too cold for the seed I put down. Used the scotts turf builder tall fescue mix. Thanks everyone
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
    Did you ever figure out what it was?

If you want to try to trap it, look here.

I'm also fond of an air rifle with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Love this thread, it's been a big help. Anyway, about 8 days ago I aerated and dethathched my yard, planted some seed, and fertilized. THere's been some pretty heavy rain here in the Ohio Valley since that time, a couple of days with 2 inches or so. Then it's been in the 30s at night a couple times. I haven't seen any sprouting yet, and was wondering if this type of weather may prevent my grass from growing or if I should just be more patient. Suppose to be gorgeous the next seven days, so I am tempted to reseed now if people think it got too cold for the seed I put down. Used the scotts turf builder tall fescue mix. Thanks everyone
    I did a lot of re-seeding about a month ago but have yet to see anything. The guy I know that knows about these things said to be patient. The seed is still dormant.

Getting my ash trees inspected for emerald ash borer. I think I'm going ahead the treatments. Costs about $150-200 per tree (every 2 years) and there are 2 ash trees in my yard that I planted 20 years ago in prime shade spots and I'd really hate to lose them.

At least with all this rain the past month. the pond levels are back up to normal. Last fall they were waaaaaaay low.

Ordered my seeds from Burpee a couple weeks ago (my wife and I sat down with a bottle of wine and got ambitious). Got some seedlings going and about to get my cold frame going with lettuce and spinach.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I did a lot of re-seeding about a month ago but have yet to see anything. The guy I know that knows about these things said to be patient. The seed is still dormant.

Getting my ash trees inspected for emerald ash borer. I think I'm going ahead the treatments. Costs about $150-200 per tree (every 2 years) and there are 2 ash trees in my yard that I planted 20 years ago in prime shade spots and I'd really hate to lose them.

At least with all this rain the past month. the pond levels are back up to normal. Last fall they were waaaaaaay low.

Ordered my seeds from Burpee a couple weeks ago (my wife and I sat down with a bottle of wine and got ambitious). Got some seedlings going and about to get my cold frame going with lettuce and spinach.

Thanks Roy
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Most of my yard still has two feet of hard packed snow covering it. My front flower garden probably has 4 feet on top of it. On the plus side I won't be watering much this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Did you ever figure out what it was?

If you want to try to trap it, look here.

I'm also fond of an air rifle with a scope.
    I never did find out what was digging the holes. I ended up packing the holes with some big rocks. Then packed in as much dirt as I could, and no more holes. It was odd. I expected the critter to just dig around the rocks and continue to give me problems but that never happened.

My dog did get blasted by a skunk a while back but from what I read skunks don't dig holes like the ones in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Here's the funny thing about grass- everyone wants to plant it in the Spring, but it needs warm weather to germinate, and here's why. In a natural habitat, grass grows all Summer to produce seed, then drops them in the late Summer. They germinate and grow then become dormant until the spring, when they start to grow to maturity.

Best time to over seed, reseed, renovate, etc. is late Summer, at the time when grass seeds most expect to be hitting the ground.

So, your grass will sprout, but it just needs a few warm days.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Here's the funny thing about grass- everyone wants to plant it in the Spring, but it needs warm weather to germinate, and here's why. In a natural habitat, grass grows all Summer to produce seed, then drops them in the late Summer. They germinate and grow then become dormant until the spring, when they start to grow to maturity.

Best time to over seed, reseed, renovate, etc. is late Summer, at the time when grass seeds most expect to be hitting the ground.

So, your grass will sprout, but it just needs a few warm days.
    I have found that both the patch master and the EZ seed products are pretty successful even planting them very early(really in February.) Due to the mulch and fertilizer in ther products, they produce enough grass seed to cover a lot of the areas so long as you water them correctly first.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

If you can cover your patch of grass with burlap, you will always do better than without. You can get a 36"x12ft roll of burlap at most local yard and gardens (not sure about box stores like Lowes/HD). Get a handful simple tent stakes to hold it in place.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    If you can cover your patch of grass with burlap, you will always do better than without. You can get a 36"x12ft roll of burlap at most local yard and gardens (not sure about box stores like Lowes/HD). Get a handful simple tent stakes to hold it in place.

GL
    Not sure I understand how that works. Burlap will not let light through.

I have the kind of grass that turns completely brown and dead looking in the winter and comes back in the spring. I have raked a whole lot of dead grass up out of it. It looks like clippings. The actual grass isn't being pulled up- it is loose stuff I am getting and a lot of it. I mow with a mulching mower. Is this stuff I am raking up the result of a crappy mulch mower or is it common for this grass?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I have the kind of grass that turns completely brown and dead looking in the winter and comes back in the spring. I have raked a whole lot of dead grass up out of it. It looks like clippings. The actual grass isn't being pulled up- it is loose stuff I am getting and a lot of it. I mow with a mulching mower. Is this stuff I am raking up the result of a crappy mulch mower or is it common for this grass?
    Zoysia, I assume?
    If so, I don't think it's a problem. It could be that your mulching mower isn't chopping the grass up very finely, but then Zoysia is a very thick grass that probably resists letting the grass clippings fall to the soil where they can decompose. If it were me, I would let it go and judge whether action needs to be taken on how well the turf does this Summer. If it seems healthy, it probably is healthy and there is no need to worry. Crack a beer and watch the grass grow rather than raking the heck out of it.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Not sure I understand how that works. Burlap will not let light through.
    The grass will grow up right through the weave of the burlap, so enough light gets through.

I suspect it works for 2 reasons ...
    1. it keeps the grass from baking in the sun, yet it keeps it warm
    2. that patch of dirt won't dry out nearly as easily.

GL

Turn Off Ads?