Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Re: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Now is the time to be doing some lawn repair. Weeds are not germinating, and the grass you have is probably dormant. You could consider a few options; aerate and overseed, slitseed or a complete renovation (killing off everything and starting over). Can't recommend the last one without seeing the yard, but generally I'd say people often go with dynamite when all that's required is a little party popper. At any rate, late Summer is the best time to address issues because seed needs hot weather to germinate quickly and cooler temps when they are just starting to grow.
    Gracias!

2. Turn Off Ads?

One other comment I'll make is that the emerald ash borer is killing off a lot of the untreated ash trees in the greater Cinci area. It's been very noticeable this summer.

We have a couple ash trees (a purple and a white) in our backyard that I've invested 20 years worth of growth in so I would really hate to lose them. We had them treated last year by an arborist and they are doing great. So if you have some ash trees you want to keep, get them treated pronto. Once they start looking punky from the borer, it's too late.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We fertilize the lawn in the fall right? Mid to late September?

Anybody got any sure fire ways to get rid of the moles????

I've tried the trap... got one, but now it's like they tunnel around the trap when I put it in.

I've tried the worm bait/poison, one of them ate half and threw the rest out of the mound

I've even tried some home remedies and tried to flush them out....

Still got mounds popping up, and the wife is about to go nuts at all the damage it's doing to her flowers...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Since we're in the midst of a draught and a watering ban, I was wondering if now's a good time to napalm the weeds into submission. Would this give me any advantage when I replant the grass this fall or next spring?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

SunDeck - have you heard any reviews on Fiesta Weed Killer? With a 13-month old and two dogs my wife is anti-traditional herbicide to treat our dandelion epidemic.

http://www.fiestaweedkiller.com/

random question, but figured someone on here would know the answer.

My 4 year old son brought up home a little "starter" sprout the other day from the sitters house, it is (was?) the start of a sunflower, I assume 1 seed, incased in a ball of dirt. It had already sprouted, and had about 2-3 inches of sprout shootting out. My 4 year old, being the 4 year old that he is, handled it more than it should have. Anyhoo, everything appeared to be intact when I stuck it in the ground on sunday, however, as I was putting the dirt back around it, I noticed that the head of the spout had fallen off due to all of the rough handling.

Will the sunflour, respout or continue to grow? I'm assuming not, but other than "throw a handful of seeds in the ground and see what grows" approach, I'm not all that familar with raising any plant from the sprout age to a full fledged blossoming flower. If there's a chance that it could still grow into a sunflower, I'll be sure to pay attention and make sure that it gets water. If not, then it will catch whatever offshot it gets when I water the rose bushes a few feet away.

Sun flowers are pretty tough, but at that stage all plants are pretty fragile. I recommend buying a handful of sunflower seeds and planting them. It's easy for a four year old and there are some truly beautiful varieties, including gigantic ones, a foot across. And now's the time to sow them!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

So you're saying the plant is as good as dead? That was my thinking. Honestly, I don't think the 4 year old cares all that much, and personally I don't care for the way a handful of sunflowers look, at least how they would look where I could plant them. A field of sunflowers is pretty cool, but I don't have any space where I could pull that off, or any space where I could pull off a good 3-4 sunflowers in a "tight" cluster.

Now, if we're talking tomatoes, the 4 year old will be all into that in another month, as well as all over picking them off and eathing them before they ever get a chance to get inside the house.

thanks for the response.

If you don't like sunflowers and the kid doesn't care, what's the point? Go buy some tomatoes.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I was mainly trying to figure out if that seedling I planted for him was indeed dead. I like sunflowers, fwiw, I just don't have a spot that I think they'd look anything but "misplaced"

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    So you're saying the plant is as good as dead? That was my thinking. Honestly, I don't think the 4 year old cares all that much, and personally I don't care for the way a handful of sunflowers look, at least how they would look where I could plant them. A field of sunflowers is pretty cool, but I don't have any space where I could pull that off, or any space where I could pull off a good 3-4 sunflowers in a "tight" cluster.

Now, if we're talking tomatoes, the 4 year old will be all into that in another month, as well as all over picking them off and eathing them before they ever get a chance to get inside the house.

thanks for the response.
    Another thing kids love to pick and eat (besides their nose) is strawberries. Whenever my strawberries started to get good, the kidd would go back there and eat them. I don't think many ever made it to the house. I didn't mind it at all, worth the entertainment value.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?