Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Sells Device That Blocks Fox News

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Man Sells Device That Blocks Fox News

Between the device that turns TVs off in public places, the one that changes channels to deter couch potatoes and this invention, I'd say there is a widespread perception among inventors that there is something wrong with TV these days.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tv_fox_blocker

Man Sells Device That Blocks Fox News

Fri Mar 25, 7:39 PM ET

By EMILY FREDRIX, Associated Press Writer

It's not that Sam Kimery objects to the views expressed on Fox News. The creator of the "Fox Blocker" contends the channel is not news at all. Kimery figures he's sold about 100 of the little silver bits of metal that screw into the back of most televisions, allowing people to filter Fox News from their sets, since its August debut.

AP Photo

The Tulsa, Okla., resident also has received thousands of e-mails, both angry and complimentary — as well as a few death threats.

"Apparently the making of terroristic threats against those who don't share your views is a high art form among a certain core audience," said Kimery, 45.

Formerly a registered Republican, even a precinct captain, Kimery became an independent in the 1990s when he said the state party stopped taking input from its everyday members.

Kimery now contends Fox News' top-level management dictates a conservative journalistic bias, that inaccuracies are never retracted, and what winds up on the air is more opinion than news. "I might as well be reading tabloids out of the grocery store," he says. "Anything to get a rise out of the viewer and to reinforce certain retrograde notions."

A Fox spokeswoman at the station's New York headquarters said the channel's ratings speak for themselves. For the first three months of this year, Fox has been averaging 1.62 million viewers in prime-time, compared with CNN's 805,000, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Kimery's motives go deeper than preventing people from watching the channel, which he acknowledges can be done without the Blocker. But he likens his device to burning a draft card, a tangible example of disagreement.

And he's taking this message to the network's advertisers. After buying the $8.95 device online, would-be blockers are shown a letter that they can send to advertisers via the Fox Blocker site.

"The point is not to block the channel or block free speech but to raise awareness," said Kimery, who works in the tech industry.

Kimery doesn't use the device himself; his remote is programmed to only a half-dozen channels. Plus he occasionally feels the need to tune into Fox News for something "especially heinous."

Business could pick up since the blocker was alluded to in a recent episode of the ABC drama "Boston Legal." The show's original script mentioned Fox News, but ABC had the references removed.

The boisterous conversations on Fox News may be why the station is so popular, said Matthew Felling, media director for the Center for Media and Public Affairs, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media watchdog group. And despite a perception that Fox leans to the right, Felling said, that doesn't mean people who lean left should tune out.

"It's tough to engage in an argument when you're not participating in it," Felling said. "It's just one more layer in the wall that the right and the left are building in between each other."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Man Sells Device That Blocks Fox News

"It's tough to engage in an argument when you're not participating in it," Felling said. "It's just one more layer in the wall that the right and the left are building in between each other."
    Yep.

Now the thing I don't understand is, why do you need this device if you aren't going to watch FoxNews anyways? It's not like it can be filtered remotely, you have to screw the thing into your TV. This thing has no use publicly. What a waste of 10 bucks if you ask me.

This guy is going to get rich off of other people's hatred. And that is just wrong IMO.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Yep.

This guy is going to get rich off of other people's hatred. And that is just wrong IMO.
    He's not the first to get rich because of other people's hatred.(I doubt he's going to get rich for this garbage)

Look at Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity who lead their audience in a daily hate fest of Democrats and Progressives. They are just two examples of many like them who are getting rich off hate. And in someways Air America Radio (not much) has some success because some of their fans just hate the right.

And I don't hate Fox News. I just feel their news is nothing more than Karl Rove's talking points repeated over and over all day long. If you notice, the same phrases and same distortions are repeated thru out the day and evening.

Retired

Everyone already has a device that can block Fox News, it's called a remote control.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Everyone already has a device that can block Fox News, it's called a remote control.
    Doesnt cable/satellite have certain features for blocking certain channels? Wouldnt that make more sense?

I need to work on a device to block Air America from my radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I wish I could block Molly Ivens (sp) from my local paper.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I wish I could block Molly Ivens (sp) from my local paper.

Ain't she something else.

My local paper rotates the editorial section daily between conservative and liberal viewpoints in order to be fair. So I know which days not to worry about reading it. :

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    And I don't hate Fox News. I just feel their news is nothing more than Karl Rove's talking points repeated over and over all day long. If you notice, the same phrases and same distortions are repeated thru out the day and evening.

How would you know that unless you're watching the channel?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I dont like CNN, CBS, and MSNBC(except Scarborough), but it doesnt stop me from watching it to see what the other side thinks. I even listened to Air America right after the election.

Janeane Garafilo on Hannity still makes me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Personally, I watch all types of news sources. I've never placed a "label" on a news source that I use as a gauge to either stay away or watch.

I feel I'm smart enough to be able to form my own objective opinion, and know when an article, radio personality, or editorial commentary is trying to spread biased BS.

I enjoy watching Bill Maher's show. I think the guy is funny, even though I disagree with him from an ideological standpoint on alot of issues.

But doesn't it show just how great this country is when we have such a diversified amout of news source and commentaries available to us? It's just up to the individual to learn how to recognize when someone is trying to "spoon-feed" them.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I happen to past the break room and other offices where I work all the time. The channel is on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's the only "news" source a certain demographic will watch. As GAC said, it's more beneficial to watch them all. You just need to take a shower after watching Fox News and CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    You just need to take a shower after watching Fox News and CNN.

I have to agree.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I watch TV news for visuals but not primarily for analysis.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

John Kerry tried to get rich/fame off other people's hate. thank god he failed.

Turn Off Ads?