Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you vote to Ban Smoking? (those in Cincinnati only please)

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ban Smoking

17 38.64%
  • Reject Ban.

23 52.27%
  • Undecided/ Abstaining

4 9.09%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban in Cincinnati

Porkchop Sandwiches

Smoking Ban in Cincinnati

With Cincinnati in the middle of considering institution of a smoking ban. And the majority of Ohioans being non-smokers. And according to stand.com, 50K+ Ohioans a year die of secondhand smoke, well, I know how I would vote... Opinions (I know there was a topic on this last year)/ vote.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Smoking Ban in Cincinnati

Redundant on my part, but I still believe it should be up to the small business owner. Let the market decide.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Retired

I'm not a smoker, and I would not support a city imposed ban. If individual establishments want to ban smoking, fine, it's private property and that is thier right, but I wouldn't want the city telling me I don't have a choice.

I won't vote in poll since I no longer live in Cincinnati, but being a non smoker and having spent a lot of time in places where they do have a ban (california, new york city), I think it's great.

Nothing worse than going out to a bar or to see a show and coming home smelling like an ashtray.

I dont smoke and I wouldnt vote to ban smoking.
    It should be up to the business to decide if they want to ban smoking or not.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Since those of us in Cincy shouldn't vote, out of curiosity, how is this poll going?
    Stick to your guns.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Since those of us in Cincy shouldn't vote, out of curiosity, how is this poll going?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    9-2 smelly clothes people :allovrjr:

I reject the ban! Even though I quit. If you don't want to come home smelling like an ashtray... don't go to a smoking establishment. It's not rocket science, people.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I am sick of people thinking they can tell other people how to live their lives. I know the smoking issues is a little different than most with the 2nd hand smoke, but I just can't agree with telling people what they can and cannot do on their own property.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I am sick of people thinking they can tell other people how to live their lives. I know the smoking issues is a little different than most with the 2nd hand smoke, but I just can't agree with telling people what they can and cannot do on their own property.

GL
    So you're anti-zoning then?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I reject the ban! Even though I quit. If you don't want to come home smelling like an ashtray... don't go to a smoking establishment. It's not rocket science, people.
    Exactly.

I dont smoke, but the decision to allow smoking should be left up to the owner of the property or business.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

my biggest problem is that the smoking section vs non smoking sections in a bar or restaurant is mostly a joke...i can't begin to tell you the number of times i've been out to eat with my parents at a restaurant and asked for the non smoking section...only to find out that the smoking section is literally five feet away...or better yet, on the other side of the table, which only has a short see through glass partition. my mother has emphazema so it's very hard for her to deal with smoke...even candles or someone wearing too much perfume can get to her...there have been numerous times when we've been in the middle of eating and some smoke makes its way over to our table and she starts coughing...we've even had to leave without finishing our meals on a few occasions.

and it's not just indoors that smoking is a problem...how many times do you see workers puffing away their cigs at the entrance way to an establishment...personally, i hate the smell, but i can tolerate it if i have to...i don't like to tell people how to live...but when i think about how my poor mother suffers from second hand smoke whereever we go, it really gets me...

Porkchop Sandwiches

Might I retort why insist on physical education/ gym class for chidren then? Should it not be their decision on whether or not they want to be healthy. Couple notes about the analogy:

1. One may argue a child is unable to make a mature decision for himself, and possibly endanger his health. Judging by the good number of smokers I know who acknowledge the habit as a health risk, and their unwillingness to respond to the health endangerment, maybe they can not decide either.

2. In gym class, if a student decides not to exercise, it is his own health he jeopardizes, a smoker jeopardizes the health of those around him/her, a big problem I have with it.

3. An administration has chosen to incorporate a health minded class to better the health of those it is responsible for. Gym class was not always a part of the curriculum. Maybe those who owned schools thought it unfair they had to build gyms to accommodate the new class, but they did it because it was in the best interest of the students.

4. It is only a matter of time before the entire country realizes the merit to such an approach. It is usually less popular in, and I don't want to invite this discussion but I probably am, conservative regions. Not to mention Ohio is in the top half in the country of percentage of people who smoke, but the percentage is still about 21%.

A related concern of late has been the rising obesity epidemic in this country. Physical Education classes address this, as well as many government programs, because we as a nation are realizing it is costly on many levels to be fat. The same realization has come about smoking, but the response has been different. There is a backlash over people's right to smoke. I guess you can argue one has the right to be obese, but if it costs everyone else much money for that person's right, beit healthcare, more gas fro transportation, larger stores, are all others being infringed upon? Back to smoking, if by walking by someone who smokes on the street causes me to injest the nast, should I not walk on the street anymore, or can courtesy dictate that the person should only indulge his habit at his cost alone?

This is dangerously close to a politics discussion, but I think we can conduct it civily.

I think it would be a good idea to ban smoking all together.
    Smoking kills. Think about it.

All 4 of my Grandparents died at an early age. Smoking played a key part in that.

Just call me Pro Life.

Turn Off Ads?